Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 19, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #6,286 of 7,191
We are expecting a new firmware sooner than later, we just don't have an ETA. Believe me, it comes up often. Audeze has not abandoned the Penrose. I just don't personally have the answers, but when it's ready you'll likely know.

Also, I'm not privy to what the firmware update includes, so we'll likely know at the same time.
Thanks for the update! I assume the dev team should have a roadmap or a least a set of features they plan to deliver. Can anyone else from Audeze shed some light here? Also, do you know if we’ll ever see a final 1.0 release of the firmware?

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #6,287 of 7,191
Yep. I completely agree. It has been a disappointment. Basically, the product we have now is it. If they do bring out any firmware updates, it is clear that we shouldn't expect it to be anymore of a 'finished' product than it already is. Sure they might introduce some small features or changes, but I would guess that many of our complaints will still exist.
I've started getting crackling and popping occasionally which I never got before. My wireless range is good though.
I get sick of microphone volume changing (possibly accidentally on my behalf - not sure - but it's too easy to bump that mic control wheel).
They are definitely sweaty on my ears after a couple of hours of use.
They feel fragile when putting on and I fear that they will break (as some on here have already had happen).

I just wish there was a good wireless alternative.

The wireless volume mutes on every connection and I've noticed what I think is a reset of mic volume in Windows too. Weird though that is not every time and the last bit seems better since last windows update.
This is only headsetv with a driver that mutes the microphone though... Very annoying

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #6,288 of 7,191
I use the penrose with my PS5 only. Sometimes I listen to them with spotify via my LG V30 with BT. They get plenty loud with music but the max volume on PS5 is lacking. That is one feature I would want them to add in firmware update. Also I am on my third penrose and the range is poor. I have to sit a 3-4 feet away from dongle or I will get pops and crackles. I have tried USB extender and different USB port on PS5. I have learned to live with it but hope that this can be improved with a firmware update one day.
This sounds like hardware. My range is approx 14 ft using wireless and with Bluetooth I still get audio at 10ft though either two walls or two windows

Oct 20, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #6,289 of 7,191
We'll have info on the next fw update coming soon.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #6,294 of 7,191
Here’s a post from a concerned user, regarding Penrose’s wind noise (for some reason it was deleted from r/Audeze). It’s a reply from Audeze rep and it seems like the issue can’t be fixed with a software update.
"The wind noise] issue seems to be a byproduct of the
wireless transmission itself and it doesn't appear to be
something we're able to eliminate entirely. In addition,
due to the accuracy of our drivers being able to
reproduce this sound more than would be apparent on
other wireless systems running similar chips, we cannot
rely on the same solutions other manufacturers have
used for this particular problem."

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #6,296 of 7,191
This sounds like hardware. My range is approx 14 ft using wireless and with Bluetooth I still get audio at 10ft though either two walls or two windows
So 3 penrose headsets have had this same issue. I have netgear orbi mesh router in my place. First I thought is was the router but then I turned it off and same issue and the pulse 3d playstation headset I have has no connection range issue inside my bedroom or outside. Audeze even sent me a new dongle and the issue still persist with range being 3-4 feet. I sit about 3-4 feet away from my 65" Sony Z9F 4k tv so it's not an issue when I game but if I wanna lay on my bed wich is about 9-10 feet away from the PS5 it will pop and click with occasional disconnection

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #6,297 of 7,191
So 3 penrose headsets have had this same issue. I have netgear orbi mesh router in my place. First I thought is was the router but then I turned it off and same issue and the pulse 3d playstation headset I have has no connection range issue inside my bedroom or outside. Audeze even sent me a new dongle and the issue still persist with range being 3-4 feet. I sit about 3-4 feet away from my 65" Sony Z9F 4k tv so it's not an issue when I game but if I wanna lay on my bed wich is about 9-10 feet away from the PS5 it will pop and click with occasional disconnection
Is the dongle plugged directly into your PS5? Mine had issues similar until I used a USB extension cable to get the dongle some distance from the USB port. USB 3.0 ports are known to cause intermittent interference with wireless dongles. Also, the front USB port on my PS5 had issues properly powering the Penrose dongle (resulting in popping and disconnects), as well as another wireless headset dongle (I've seen others report this issue with the front port as well). Using one of the rear USB ports, paired with a USB extension cable fixed all of my connection and popping issues.

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #6,298 of 7,191
Is the dongle plugged directly into your PS5? Mine had issues similar until I used a USB extension cable to get the dongle some distance from the USB port. USB 3.0 ports are known to cause intermittent interference with wireless dongles. Also, the front USB port on my PS5 had issues properly powering the Penrose dongle (resulting in popping and disconnects), as well as another wireless headset dongle (I've seen others report this issue with the front port as well). Using one of the rear USB ports, paired with a USB extension cable fixed all of my connection and popping issues.
Yes it's plugged directly into PS5 and I tried an extender.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #6,299 of 7,191
I find it hard to believe that it cannot be fixed. in software, given often on my first powerup of the day, the issue is not present for the first 10 mins. I can be listening away, then silence. Then suddenly it just kicks on, between 5 and 10 mins. Then it is there all day.

Furthermore, they removed it from the right earcup on a previous firmware fix. So just apply the same logic to the left!!!!!!!!!!!

Infuriating. Give me a JTAG cable and the source code and I will fix it for everyone!

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #6,300 of 7,191

You mention range extender... just checking you used the back USB port? Finally also checking that you don't live in a block of flats or somewhere there might be congested wifi that is outside of your control.

If all above okay then I'd be asking for new headset as in my opinion and ruling out connectivity issue and conflicts with other wifi devices it should not be like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back