Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #6,197 of 7,191
Well that's a bit of a bummer. How exactly would you increase the bass when using a preset like 'Classical and Acoustic Space' in EQ settings?
As I understand it, the Penrose EQ will reduce overall volume if you boost the EQ bands past some threshold, to minimise distortion. I've not found this to be a problem because there's plenty of headway in volume.

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #6,199 of 7,191
As I understand it, the Penrose EQ will reduce overall volume if you boost the EQ bands past some threshold, to minimise distortion. I've not found this to be a problem because there's plenty of headway in volume.
So basically, you're saying that there's a bit of wiggle room to increase bass without any distortion or loss in volume?

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #6,200 of 7,191
In this new firmware will the mic/mix wheel be adressed? It is so annoying having to go into the app to change the mix because only touching the mic wheel will mess up the mic level. Playing a game like Pubg I normally would like to be able to change the mix within a single game according the situation.

I have found that 57 on the mic level is perfect and I would like it to be locked on that, or atleast not so easily changed.

Please do this for all the xbox users.

Aug 31, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6,201 of 7,191
If I were you I would just get the Penrose. It doesn’t make sense to buy a whole new receiver just for the Beyers. The Penrose sounds similar to the Mobius. Look up reviews for that for sound quality. The Penrose are most def in a different class than the 770’s.

I gotta tell you, as someone who has thousands of dollars in sound equipment I’m happy with the Penrose and I’m considering getting the Penrose X. I also have the Mobius but I guess those will now be retired.

I’ve bought the dumbest things based off of reviews like the Audio gd nfb-11 which my jds labs is superior to.

When i put the Penrose to the test a couple of months ago, when i had them for a 2 weeks I never compared them fairly to my DT770(250)'s because my Receiver's EQ settings were tweaked with Bass increased to +4, which i completely forgot about. The Bass on my Beyers was boosted/manipulated and for the better imo.

I mean, if i were to use something like a Schitt HEL 2 DAC with the DT770's, there's no way to adjust Bass(i'm assuming) so setting my receivers Bass to default '0' you'd think would give me similar results to the DAC. Anyways, I liked the Penrose but i felt like it lacked just a little with fine details compared to the Beyers. Bass was better on the DT770's as well but again that's with +4 Bass on the receiver.

Anyways, so why i exactly do you prefer the sound quality of the penrose over the DT770(80)'s?

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #6,203 of 7,191
So basically, you're saying that there's a bit of wiggle room to increase bass without any distortion or loss in volume?
Yes. But as the other commentor pointed out, you can reduce non-bass bands to have the same effect as bass boost. I remember now that this is what I ended up doing with my EQ. It also reduces overall volume a bit but once you set it and set your desired volume, you really forget all about it just as I had.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #6,204 of 7,191
In this new firmware will the mic/mix wheel be adressed? It is so annoying having to go into the app to change the mix because only touching the mic wheel will mess up the mic level. Playing a game like Pubg I normally would like to be able to change the mix within a single game according the situation.

I have found that 57 on the mic level is perfect and I would like it to be locked on that, or atleast not so easily changed.

Please do this for all the xbox users.

YES, I agree the game/chat mix should be primary. It's basically broken at this point. I frequently need to change the game/chat mix in warzone. It's hard to do and always messes with the mic gain, which I never need to change.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #6,206 of 7,191
YES, I agree the game/chat mix should be primary. It's basically broken at this point. I frequently need to change the game/chat mix in warzone. It's hard to do and always messes with the mic gain, which I never need to change.
I REALLY hope this gets addressed. I’m lucky if I ever get adjusting game/chat mix to work, usually just messes up the mic gain.

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #6,207 of 7,191
I just updated to the latest firmware version for the penrose. It’s so nice to be able to do it from a Mac now. Thank you for that Audeze.

It definitely quitted down the whooshing sounds but I can still hear a little on the left side mostly.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #6,209 of 7,191
mobius and penrose? are they each competing against each other? is the penrose the successor to mobius? im confused

Users who are viewing this thread

Back