Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Sep 3, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #6,212 of 7,191
Penrose ps doesn't work for PS3 ?
I tried it but nothing
Unfortunately nobody in our support crew still has a PS3 handy to test directly. Doing a little digging online seems to indicate that the PS3 did not support headphone audio via USB, so it will sadly not support the Penrose.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #6,215 of 7,191
@Kainy awesome, i'm not alone (same problem) !!!!! Are you also on Android ? I managed to record my own voice on the smartphone when the problem happened, and the recording is fine. Unfortunately i did not find any way to capture the problem itself (android has put many policies in place that prevent it -- at least in my region (i'm too lazy to try flashing another region firmware to unlock the native call recorder).

My workaround is to stop/start bluetooth on my phone before the call, your's is better thanks for the tip i'll try it

Thanks for the feedback.

I experience the same using iOS. This was one of the main features I was looking forward to using, but after a few minutes, I can no longer understand the person on the other line. Yanking the dongle, would render this feature useless, as I'd like to play games and be on the phone at the same time. Switching the device on iOS from penrose to speaker then back to penrose does fix it for some time, but it reverts back to the same garbled noise and once in awhile, the headset would crash and lock up.

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #6,216 of 7,191
I am currently using Wicked Cushions Freeze hybrid cooling gel infused earpads and after a month my skin has not yet adjusted to the sports fabric that they are using, however this is a little bit more comfy compared to the stock pads (which is also very toasty to my ears) I am looking at suggestions (specific model name) on other replacement pads that can work well with the penrose and possibly more comfortable.

To add - the clamping force on this headset is just unreal, any tips on how to safely loosen its clamping force?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #6,217 of 7,191
To add - the clamping force on this headset is just unreal, any tips on how to safely loosen its clamping force?
It will loosen by wearing over time. But if you are impatient like me, I did loosen mine successfully by stretching it over a container of baby wipes that was just the right size, over a night or 2. I think I adjusted with a handtowel or other things to wedge it in. Just make sure the pressure to the headband is above the joint where the earcups connect to the headband since that is a point of weakness if the Mobius is anything to go by. Also keep in mind that it continues to get a bit looser with further wear, so after a while I found they were a fraction too loose.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #6,218 of 7,191
I am currently using Wicked Cushions Freeze hybrid cooling gel infused earpads and after a month my skin has not yet adjusted to the sports fabric that they are using, however this is a little bit more comfy compared to the stock pads (which is also very toasty to my ears) I am looking at suggestions (specific model name) on other replacement pads that can work well with the penrose and possibly more comfortable.

I have the same hybrid cooling gel earpads and find them comfortable against my skin and the cooling gel actually works. I also have a pair of Dekoni suede earpads which are specifically for the Penrose/Mobius and they are more comfortable then the stock earpads and I can't tell the difference sound wise between them and the Wicked Cushions.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #6,219 of 7,191
I have the same hybrid cooling gel earpads and find them comfortable against my skin and the cooling gel actually works. I also have a pair of Dekoni suede earpads which are specifically for the Penrose/Mobius and they are more comfortable then the stock earpads and I can't tell the difference sound wise between them and the Wicked Cushions.
Which one do you find more comfortable, the dekoni pads or the WC?

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,220 of 7,191
It will loosen by wearing over time. But if you are impatient like me, I did loosen mine successfully by stretching it over a container of baby wipes that was just the right size, over a night or 2. I think I adjusted with a handtowel or other things to wedge it in. Just make sure the pressure to the headband is above the joint where the earcups connect to the headband since that is a point of weakness if the Mobius is anything to go by. Also keep in mind that it continues to get a bit looser with further wear, so after a while I found they were a fraction too loose.
I didnt feel any change after a month of usage so I used the box for the headset and about a 18mm fan box (with the fan still inside) to help loosen it. Its been like that for about 12hrs now and I tried to test fit it, its still a little to tight but a great improvement. Im gonna leave it at that for the next 12hrs.

Attachments

• 20210910_034338.jpg
    20210910_034338.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #6,221 of 7,191
Any PS5 owners know of amyway to adjust game/voice mix on the fly? Or is this something we need to petition Sony to support technically through a firmware update?

Personally my biggest gripe with the PS5 atm, and makes me want to go back to wired dacs like the G6. Anyone with more info or workarounds...

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #6,222 of 7,191
Got a pad question for you all: what’s a nice plush cool (temp) replacement pad for the Penrose? God, the stock pads suck!

I think I’ll give the Wicked Cushion freeze ones a whirl.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #6,223 of 7,191
I experience the same using iOS. This was one of the main features I was looking forward to using, but after a few minutes, I can no longer understand the person on the other line. Yanking the dongle, would render this feature useless, as I'd like to play games and be on the phone at the same time. Switching the device on iOS from penrose to speaker then back to penrose does fix it for some time, but it reverts back to the same garbled noise and once in awhile, the headset would crash and lock up.
Thanks for reporting, if even iOS is concerned, then it should affect everyone.. or are there people that really use BT with zero problem even during long conversations out there?

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #6,224 of 7,191
Any PS5 owners know of amyway to adjust game/voice mix on the fly? Or is this something we need to petition Sony to support technically through a firmware update?

Personally my biggest gripe with the PS5 atm, and makes me want to go back to wired dacs like the G6. Anyone with more info or workarounds...

Attachments

• photo_2021-09-11_09-12-40.jpg
    photo_2021-09-11_09-12-40.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #6,225 of 7,191

It’s Sony I think - don’t believe they provide the data points from USB to enable this - except conveniently enough for their own headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back