Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #6,181 of 7,191
@Kainy awesome, i'm not alone (same problem) !!!!! Are you also on Android ? I managed to record my own voice on the smartphone when the problem happened, and the recording is fine. Unfortunately i did not find any way to capture the problem itself (android has put many policies in place that prevent it -- at least in my region (i'm too lazy to try flashing another region firmware to unlock the native call recorder).

My workaround is to stop/start bluetooth on my phone before the call, your's is better thanks for the tip i'll try it

Thanks for the feedback.
Does the app "cube acr" work for you? I record calls with it on a pixel that supposedly doesn't allow it just fine.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #6,183 of 7,191
Hello, I've just bought the audeze penrose headset and i've started approaching audiophile's territory.
I really like the sound quality, but i can't help fussing over the subpar audio quality of the microphone during discord calls.
So far I've tried connecting my cans in aux mode after changing discord's settings as explained on audeze's user guide.

My questions are:
-Is there a way to further improve the penrose's mic audio-quality in discord calls?

-Can a good DAC help portray a better mic's quality on discord?
If yes, which one would you guys suggest to pair with Penrose?

P.S
Forgive my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #6,184 of 7,191
Hi

I have bought this headphone for gaming yesterday. I mostly play on XBOX X and sometimes PS5. So far when it comes to audio Penrose is top notch and even for gaming. I have couple of suggestion and I am not sure its possible or not from Audeze

1. When I received the package it was installed with firmware version x.1.5 I guess. Sound was really good out of the box. I dont need to change in EQ. But once I upgraded to firmware version to X.1.10 I felt like sound got tuned or degraded. Its not bad but its not sweet like before. I guess it could be due to mic sound quality upgrade or its just my feeling. I like to have the same sound signature before I had in the initial version. Is it possible?

2. Wireless is a convenient and we have 2 ways to connect it wirelessly. Adding to that we have Aux. But if we have option to connect through USB directly it would be good feature and bring the same quality or more of wireless. It may help to increase the bandwidth and we can use mic and headphone to its full potential. Its just a thought.

Before I have used Senheisser, Beyer dynamics. Both either open back or semi open. When I tried Penrose I felt like the sound is boxy kind of nature. I guess this is how closed back head set sounds. For gaming I have tried Astro, Sony's gaming headset but not for me. All are boxy. Is it possible to change or improve the way it sounds? Because I feel like its very close to my ears.

Thanks
Badri M

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #6,185 of 7,191
I'm thinking about rebuying the Penrose from an eBay Seller, and doing a WC Earpad replacement/Mod which supposedly makes the Penrose 100x more comfortable than the stock earpads which i personally couldn't tolerate for more than 15 minutes. I really liked the 'Classic Sound & Acoustic Space 'Music' Preset over everything else, which made the out of the box default preset sound almost muffled and drab by comparison. I'm wondering too if it's possible to increase Bass with the EQ settings with that particular preset?

When i compared the Penrose to my DT770 Pro(250ohm) + Receiver it wasn't a fair comparison. Since Bass was manipulated/increased on my Sony Receiver to +4 with the DT770's, when it should of been set to '0' which i forgot to try at the time. Because something like a Shciit HEL 2 DAC doesn't allow you to adjust Bass & Treble to begin with, so i wont have the option.

I've got a Sound bar & Sub now, and ended up ditching the Receiver, and will only settle for a DAC anyways if i decide to pass on the Penrose.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #6,186 of 7,191
Hi

I have bought this headphone for gaming yesterday. I mostly play on XBOX X and sometimes PS5. So far when it comes to audio Penrose is top notch and even for gaming. I have couple of suggestion and I am not sure its possible or not from Audeze

1. When I received the package it was installed with firmware version x.1.5 I guess. Sound was really good out of the box. I dont need to change in EQ. But once I upgraded to firmware version to X.1.10 I felt like sound got tuned or degraded. Its not bad but its not sweet like before. I guess it could be due to mic sound quality upgrade or its just my feeling. I like to have the same sound signature before I had in the initial version. Is it possible?

2. Wireless is a convenient and we have 2 ways to connect it wirelessly. Adding to that we have Aux. But if we have option to connect through USB directly it would be good feature and bring the same quality or more of wireless. It may help to increase the bandwidth and we can use mic and headphone to its full potential. Its just a thought.

Before I have used Senheisser, Beyer dynamics. Both either open back or semi open. When I tried Penrose I felt like the sound is boxy kind of nature. I guess this is how closed back head set sounds. For gaming I have tried Astro, Sony's gaming headset but not for me. All are boxy. Is it possible to change or improve the way it sounds? Because I feel like its very close to my ears.

Thanks
Badri M

The default out of the box preset sounds drab and boxy. I'd recommend trying the preset > 'Classical Sound and Acoustic Space' under the Music Category on their official website, for download. It's a lot better imo and makes a world of a difference and is easily the best out of the bunch.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #6,187 of 7,191
For those that had (or continue to have) the whooshing/air escaping/light static/whitenoise present in the silence or mix of their Penrose, what is the recent status? I haven't seen it mentioned in a little bit (and can't find who the last mentions were). This issue needs to stay present and I'd like to know more specifically about where things are at right now.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6,188 of 7,191
while using the 'Classical Sound and Acoustic Space' MUSIC preset, is it possible to also increase BASS using the EQ settings?
Hmm, i wonder if Audeze is working on a successor to the Penrose, but with sound quality that falls more into the audiophile head'phone' category.
Even if it means spending another $200 on top of the $379-$399 CAD. Unfortunately that price point wouldn't be appealing at all to most gamers,
other than enthusiasts. :p

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #6,189 of 7,191
For those that had (or continue to have) the whooshing/air escaping/light static/whitenoise present in the silence or mix of their Penrose, what is the recent status? I haven't seen it mentioned in a little bit (and can't find who the last mentions were). This issue needs to stay present and I'd like to know more specifically about where things are at right now.
I have been mentioning it often. Its still present in the left earcup. They removed it from the right earcup last update so they must have an idea...

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #6,190 of 7,191
Another firmware update should be coming soon. There isn't an ETA right now and we don't have specific bug fixes or details to share yet. Stay tuned.

I have been mentioning it often. Its still present in the left earcup. They removed it from the right earcup last update so they must have an idea...

Thank you. Yes, you are one of the folks I was hoping would chime in based on your past posts (I remember your name/avatar now).
We need to keep mentioning it, because if it continues to not get officially acknowledged as an unsolved/unsolvable issue for all these months, it probably still doesn't exist in their eyes/ears.
I'm interested to hear your experience with the new Firmware (whenever it should happen to come out) that the Audeze account was mentioning on the last page.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #6,191 of 7,191
Thank you. Yes, you are one of the folks I was hoping would chime in based on your past posts (I remember your name/avatar now).
We need to keep mentioning it, because if it continues to not get officially acknowledged as an unsolved/unsolvable issue for all these months, it probably still doesn't exist in their eyes/ears.
I'm interested to hear your experience with the new Firmware (whenever it should happen to come out) that the Audeze account was mentioning on the last page.
Yeah I'll second that it's still present. It's frustrating that it's there, ticks me off a bit every time I hear it. I returned my first pair and my second one has the same issue. I deal with it by playing music to drown it out.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #6,194 of 7,191
I have an issue with the headset in PC mode on my laptop it seems that Intel Smart Sound Technology will only allow 11Khz to the dongle, switching to xbox mode changes the handling from Intel SST to generic usb drivers which allows 48Khz, this is on an Acer Swift 3X with the latest bios, drivers and windows update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back