Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Aug 15, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #6,153 of 7,191
Does anyone else's set squeak constantly? For my left earcup on my Penrose X, if the cup moves at all within its holder it gives off a very loud squeak. The right cup doesn't do this at all. I tightened the screws on the left side to no avail and it does this with the mic and cable attached and without them attached. Just from turning my head too quick while gaming I get an overwhelming squeak and it is more bothersome than the popping at this point.
I had something like this, but it was coming from the earcup cushion or leather. I swapped to the grey replacement earcups because I hated the stock blue earcups and the squeak went away, since forgetting all about it. I don't have a solution for repairing it but maybe its a potential source of the squeak that had been overlooked.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #6,156 of 7,191
I've heard a couple people mention it actually sounds better wireless instead of wired, is there any truth to that? I'll mostly be using it wireless anyways but will occasionally use it wired like when playing portably on Switch

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #6,157 of 7,191
Part of me kind of regrets sending the Penrose back. I miss that wireless freedom, which makes gaming and movie watching feel clean and modern.
But, the sound quality couldn't quite match my DT770(250ohm)'s and ultimately that's the most important thing to me. I'm thinking of getting my DT770's modded with a detachable cable so i can use a 6 foot straight cable instead of the default/standard teathered 10 foot coil cable to use with a high end DAC, USB HUB a few USB cables. sigh*

At least with the Penrose i didn't have to deal with all of this BS, the design was cool too and of course they're wireless. They weren't very comfortable though, if i had them again i'd definitely switch the cup padding.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #6,158 of 7,191
Did anyone ever find a solution to the mic sounding very distant? For some reason I go through days where it sounds fine, but then a week where friends complain that I sound like I’m on the other side of the room.
I’ve updated the firmware, adjusted the mic location and gain but nothing seems to be working

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #6,159 of 7,191
For anyone that has changed the pads to suede/velour - what has the impact been on isolation/sound please?

Really tempted to get a set of these again for the wireless convenience but much prefer open backed headsets and so hoping the velour pads won't seal as well and feel a tad 'less closed'. As long as the sound quality isn't impacted greatly (or at least nothing that a bit of eq can't fix) I'd be tempted to try these again.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #6,162 of 7,191
For anyone that has changed the pads to suede/velour - what has the impact been on isolation/sound please?

Really tempted to get a set of these again for the wireless convenience but much prefer open backed headsets and so hoping the velour pads won't seal as well and feel a tad 'less closed'. As long as the sound quality isn't impacted greatly (or at least nothing that a bit of eq can't fix) I'd be tempted to try these again.
I have two sets of plastics so I swap between the Dekoni velour pads and the Wicked Cushions cooling gel hybrid pads. I find both of them sound better then the stock and it hasn't affected the isolation at all.

I think I'm liking the Wicked Cushions a bit more.

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #6,163 of 7,191
@fraidknot I was considering doing a pad swap on the Penrose and was looking at the same exact ones you mentioned. Can you go a little more in depth on your comparison between the two? Also, which dekoni velour pads were you able to fit on the Penrose. The only two compatible ones I saw on the site were the choice leather and choice suede.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #6,164 of 7,191
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #6,165 of 7,191
@fraidknot I was considering doing a pad swap on the Penrose and was looking at the same exact ones you mentioned. Can you go a little more in depth on your comparison between the two? Also, which dekoni velour pads were you able to fit on the Penrose. The only two compatible ones I saw on the site were the choice leather and choice suede.
Sorry when I said velour I meant the Dekoni suede pads. The reason I prefer the Wicked Cushions is they just feel more plush against the skin and you can actually feel the cooling gel. The suede I find just feels like i'm lying on my leather couch or on a leather jacket.

I'm no audiophile but I tried wearing the headset for a while with the different pads fitted on each ear and they both sound pretty much the same to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back