Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 28, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,136 of 7,191
Sooo, are there any Wireless 2.4ghz set of cans on the market currently(or on the horizon) that sound better than the Penrose? I'd be willing to pay twice the amount for a pair that can at least sound as good as my Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm + DAC) just so i can finally axe that wire. Unfortunately, the Penrose didn't quite cut it for me, even after messing the EQ presets. 'Classical and Accoustic Space' sounded the best of the bunch but even then they lacked the richness, detail and bass of my DT770's. As for now, I guess i'll have to settle for a DAC. Something like the Schiit HEL 2. I'll just have to hide the DAC under my couch, and manage the Power & USB Cables, plus Hub with cable covers gliding/sticking along side the bottom of the Moldings on my Walls. :p
No

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #6,137 of 7,191
I received my Brainwavz pads the other day and after a bit 'o struggle getting them installed on the headphones I do have an initial impression. They are an improvement to me. I like the feel and the comfort. Because I do not use my Penrose to do critical music listening I didn't really tell a difference in the sound deliverance (I wasn't trying to decern it either). I do recommend replacing the pads for anyone who wants a more comfortable listening experience. Or if you want to hide that green plastic :) (or blue).

I did the same with the Wicked Cushions cooling gel pads. Much more comfortable now and no difference in sound that I can tell.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #6,138 of 7,191
I'm having to return the Penrose X headset because of popping and cutting out issues. Feelsbad. Thankfully my Arctis 7X works, feels, and sounds great. I just loved the Penrose though for its audio quality. I thought 3rd time would be a charm, but I guess not. I tried everything too. Even put the dongle near my ceiling lol. It pops or cuts out every few minutes pretty much.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #6,141 of 7,191
I'm having to return the Penrose X headset because of popping and cutting out issues. Feelsbad. Thankfully my Arctis 7X works, feels, and sounds great. I just loved the Penrose though for its audio quality. I thought 3rd time would be a charm, but I guess not. I tried everything too. Even put the dongle near my ceiling lol. It pops or cuts out every few minutes pretty much.
Really unhappy to hear this. Had been holding off, was recently thinking about buying as I'd hoped this had been ironed out.

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #6,143 of 7,191
Is it just on my unit or is the battery % in the app (PC) is pretty inaccurate. I am charging it using one of the USB ports on my PC and I see the battery % indicator in the app go up like 1% maybe every 2-3mins, it hits 100% soon after and I still left it connected for another 20mins and the charging indicator is still slowly blinking, I reconnected the cable and the app now shows 88%. Is this a normal behavior or is my headset defective? (Firmware 0.1.10)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #6,144 of 7,191
Is it just on my unit or is the battery % in the app (PC) is pretty inaccurate. I am charging it using one of the USB ports on my PC and I see the battery % indicator in the app go up like 1% maybe every 2-3mins, it hits 100% soon after and I still left it connected for another 20mins and the charging indicator is still slowly blinking, I reconnected the cable and the app now shows 88%. Is this a normal behavior or is my headset defective? (Firmware 0.1.10)
It's always been inaccurate. If you disconnect the cable and reconnect it again you'll see its not 100% anymore. I just leave it charging until the indicator light stops blinking and ignore the app.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #6,146 of 7,191
Does anyone else's set squeak constantly? For my left earcup on my Penrose X, if the cup moves at all within its holder it gives off a very loud squeak. The right cup doesn't do this at all. I tightened the screws on the left side to no avail and it does this with the mic and cable attached and without them attached. Just from turning my head too quick while gaming I get an overwhelming squeak and it is more bothersome than the popping at this point.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #6,148 of 7,191
Does anyone else's set squeak constantly? For my left earcup on my Penrose X, if the cup moves at all within its holder it gives off a very loud squeak. The right cup doesn't do this at all. I tightened the screws on the left side to no avail and it does this with the mic and cable attached and without them attached. Just from turning my head too quick while gaming I get an overwhelming squeak and it is more bothersome than the popping at this point.

If you have some dielectric grease, you can grease the joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back