Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 25, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #5,971 of 7,191
The Nintendo Switch doesn't have an Optical Port, it only accepts HDMI or USB. I would have to share the USB cable between both consoles.
That G6 btw, aesthetically speaking is one ugly looking thing. :p it almost looks like something that came out in the early 2000's hehe.
The PS5 doesn't either. You would have to use the optical out from your TV. I have no clue with kind of USB capability the Switch has since I don't own one.

May 25, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #5,972 of 7,191
So how exactly would the Amp/dac work when paired with my OLED? Bare with me, i'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. I want my Switch & PS5 hooked up directly to my OLED, and The Dac hooked up to another HDMI Port(or whatever cable type it uses)

With that Sony Receiver I mentioned I'd have to use it's eArc HDMI sent directly to my TV's eArc Port, which would by pass the need of sending my Switch & PS5's HDMI straight to the receiver which i dont want as the receiver doesn't' support 120fps, 3D Audio and increases input lag. But, if i rolled with the Receiver than i wouldn't be able to use a sound bar as it also uses eArc and I dont want a 2.1 set up, even though it's gonna sound better than the LG SN8YG 3.2 SB i plan on picking up(you can also add two wireless surround speakers to make it 5.1) I just want that simple to the point modern minimalistic approach rather than plunking two speakers on stands to the left and right side of my TV.

SO, if the Penrose don't cut the mustard, it would be the DT770(80 Ohm) paired with a Amp/Dac plus a sound bar. hurray.
The Penrose isn't without its quirks. If you're coming in expecting a perfect product, then I'd look elsewhere. I have had the odd (very rare) disconnect with my Penrose X (mostly on PS5 with the front USB port, for some reason), and the odd crackle or pop, but at this point I can't fathom reverting to the lesser convenience of a mixamp/dac based setup with wires dangling all over the place (I ran a Sennheiser Game One with Astro Mixamp for the longest time). The Penrose is the best sounding gaming headset I've used, and when coupled with its audio quality, it makes a pretty compelling case.

Audio configurations are inherently limited on Series X and PS5 anyway. Playstation limits the availability of third party audio providers like Atmos and DTS on their platform, Xbox requires a specific chipset to be installed before a device will be USB-supported, neither console has optical ports, etc. With Penrose you shed a lot of the headache of figuring out what to connect to what, and can just enjoy a fairly high-fidelity wireless experience.

May 26, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #5,973 of 7,191
The Penrose isn't without its quirks. If you're coming in expecting a perfect product, then I'd look elsewhere. I have had the odd (very rare) disconnect with my Penrose X (mostly on PS5 with the front USB port, for some reason), and the odd crackle or pop, but at this point I can't fathom reverting to the lesser convenience of a mixamp/dac based setup with wires dangling all over the place (I ran a Sennheiser Game One with Astro Mixamp for the longest time). The Penrose is the best sounding gaming headset I've used, and when coupled with its audio quality, it makes a pretty compelling case.

Audio configurations are inherently limited on Series X and PS5 anyway. Playstation limits the availability of third party audio providers like Atmos and DTS on their platform, Xbox requires a specific chipset to be installed before a device will be USB-supported, neither console has optical ports, etc. With Penrose you shed a lot of the headache of figuring out what to connect to what, and can just enjoy a fairly high-fidelity wireless experience.
Why did you use a mixamp with a game one? If anything that would make it sound worse.

May 26, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #5,974 of 7,191

Just purchased the Blue Penrose from Audez's official site.
I feel like, settling for a wired set of cans(DT770's) which btw are technically from the 80's(as much as i love the 80's :wink: ) at this point with a 10 foot coil(ugh) cable attached to another Extension cable INTO a receiver or a Amp/Dac when Streaming movies/series & gaming isn't moving forward with audio in regards to functionality and convenience nor does it match the simplicity and convenience of my current set up.

The DT770's paired with a dedicated Amp or receiver Sound fantastic to my ears, but it's a little messy. I hate having a wire trickling down my neck, along with the wire extending over 10 feet across my living room floor into my Receiver and THEN having to wrap that overly long cable around my headphones when I'm done with them. Screw that, I've been doing this since 2005 and i'm over it.

Ideally, a 77" LG G1 OLED wall mounted, with a Sonos Arc 5.1 SS sound bar system paired with a Switch, PS5(Digital) & PC(Including Vive Pro 2 VR) are what i'm shooting for. I guess i'll have to deal with the rare crackle, pop, swooshing or disconnect. Maybe there will be an upcoming firmware update that will address this OR Audeze's next Wireless set of 2.4ghz headphones that roll out in the next year or two will improve upon this and then some. The tech is bound to gradually improve over the time anyways.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #5,975 of 7,191
Just purchased the Blue Penrose from Audez's official site.
I feel like, settling for a wired set of cans(DT770's) which btw are technically from the 80's(as much as i love the 80's :wink: ) at this point with a 10 foot coil(ugh) cable attached to another Extension cable INTO a receiver or a Amp/Dac when Streaming movies/series & gaming isn't moving forward with audio in regards to functionality and convenience nor does it match the simplicity and convenience of my current set up.

The DT770's paired with a dedicated Amp or receiver Sound fantastic to my ears, but it's a little messy. I hate having a wire trickling down my neck, along with the wire extending over 10 feet across my living room floor into my Receiver and THEN having to wrap that overly long cable around my headphones when I'm done with them. Screw that, I've been doing this since 2005 and i'm over it.

Ideally, a 77" LG G1 OLED wall mounted, with a Sonos Arc 5.1 SS sound bar system paired with a Switch, PS5(Digital) & PC(Including Vive Pro 2 VR) are what i'm shooting for. I guess i'll have to deal with the rare crackle, pop, swooshing or disconnect. Maybe there will be an upcoming firmware update that will address this OR Audeze's next Wireless set of 2.4ghz headphones that roll out in the next year or two will improve upon this and then some. The tech is bound to gradually improve over the time anyways.
I feel ya, I really do. I got my speakers that I love so much, but Lately as I have grown wiser over the years... I just feel like or I'm thinking if it is worth it, having all this space occupied by speakers and cables? Not so sure these days as much as I Love listening to music on my speakers, I really do! I just want that space BACK! I'm going to cry when I sell my speakers in the end. :D

Anyway. In getting rid of as many wires as possible, my mic was another thing that has gone. As much as I would like to get an open back wireless headset... There aren't any. ridiculous that Game one, Some Audio-Technica's are the only open back headsets on the market! Forget wireless...

So yeah, I am getting a penrose. Sorry for being a bit on the lazy side, but what do I need to know in terms of Penrose Wired VS Wireless? There is bound to be a difference, Usually those differences not mentioned at all.

May 27, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #5,976 of 7,191
Hello!

So, I have this issue whilst connecting the dongle to my PS4 and BT to my PC. The BT disconnects almost immediately, until then it lags like hell. I'm literally 10 inches away from my PC and only a desk between the headphones and the BT. Should it be this bad? If I put my hand over the BT it disconnects the headphones.

Any tips or fixes?

May 27, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #5,977 of 7,191
I just got the penrose. I updated them via the android app. When I downloaded the windows app it won't connect to the penrose. In fact it it very small on laptop. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and it still is small and will not connect to the penrose.

Attachments

• 16221644274307970648641991242170.jpg
    16221644274307970648641991242170.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #5,978 of 7,191
First I updated the firmware and played with the EQ on the android app. I did a 5-6 hour gaming session with some YouTube in between on the penrose with PS5. I played call of duty cold war and warzone. The sit about 4-6 feet away from ps5. I watched the horizon 2 forbidden west gameplay trailer on YouTube on the PS5 and noticed the penrose were crackling. Sounded like the penrose wanted to disconnect but they didn't. Next I played some cold war and the penrose performed well. I decided I next try warzone. My team made it late into the match a few times and the Penrose would disconnect for a few seconds each time. This got me killed in the match. I am sitting about 4 feet away from the PS5 also when I play warzone.

I plan to give the penrose about a week. If they keep disconecting then they are going back. Also I am unable to connect them to the audeze HQ app via Windows on my laptop. I do not understand why the Penrose are having connection issues when the playstation pulse 3d headphones which also use 2.4 Ghz channel do not have any connection issues at all.

May 28, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #5,979 of 7,191
First I updated the firmware and played with the EQ on the android app. I did a 5-6 hour gaming session with some YouTube in between on the penrose with PS5. I played call of duty cold war and warzone. The sit about 4-6 feet away from ps5. I watched the horizon 2 forbidden west gameplay trailer on YouTube on the PS5 and noticed the penrose were crackling. Sounded like the penrose wanted to disconnect but they didn't. Next I played some cold war and the penrose performed well. I decided I next try warzone. My team made it late into the match a few times and the Penrose would disconnect for a few seconds each time. This got me killed in the match. I am sitting about 4 feet away from the PS5 also when I play warzone.

I plan to give the penrose about a week. If they keep disconecting then they are going back. Also I am unable to connect them to the audeze HQ app via Windows on my laptop. I do not understand why the Penrose are having connection issues when the playstation pulse 3d headphones which also use 2.4 Ghz channel do not have any connection issues at all.

You could always settle for the Arctis Pro Wireless or Arctis 7p's if the connection issue with the Penrose doesn't get resolved. The two i hear won't sound quite as good but they're more reliable and more comfortable based on what i've heard. yikes, now you've got me worried. Audeze hasn't shipped my Penrose out yet. I'm itching to try them out!

May 28, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #5,980 of 7,191

That's funny because I was just looking at some reviews on the steel series. I tempted to just use the astro a40 with mixamp with the hdmi adapter for multiplayer games. Dolby digital For headphones vs tempest 3d audio is close to my ears. I do feel that as more developers start using the tempest 3d engine for PS5 that it will begin to sound better. Honestly I should just be patient because it has only been 6 months since PS5 released and these 3rd party audio companies are probably gonna release new headsets next year. I just want a good headset for the new battlefield game later this year and all the multiplayer shooters I play on PS5.

May 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #5,981 of 7,191
Hi all

Just got the Penrose. I’ve Updated to latest drivers/firmware but found a very strange issue. Once I pair with my iPhone and play music, every 5 seconds or so during music playback it prompts the “connected” voice. It doesn’t seem like it’s disconnecting and reconnecting as the music continues albeit it’s volume is reduced so the “connected” message isn’t drowned out.

So now it’s unusable when paired to my iPhone. This is with the device on my hand so shouldn’t be a range issue. Very strange issue. Any advice?

May 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #5,982 of 7,191
Hi all

Just got the Penrose. I’ve Updated to latest drivers/firmware but found a very strange issue. Once I pair with my iPhone and play music, every 5 seconds or so during music playback it prompts the “connected” voice. It doesn’t seem like it’s disconnecting and reconnecting as the music continues albeit it’s volume is reduced so the “connected” message isn’t drowned out.

So now it’s unusable when paired to my iPhone. This is with the device on my hand so shouldn’t be a range issue. Very strange issue. Any advice?
I have mine connected to android. They seem a little buggy when connected to wifi and blutooth at the same time . Whenever I got an update like a text on my phone I would hear a faint click. Could just be my phone though.

May 28, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #5,983 of 7,191
Got one of these for the nightly sessions when the HT experience is simply too loud and I get all these connected and loss of connection issues.
In addition to that pops or crackles from time to time.

No 2,4Ghz Wifi Active. 9 foot distance at max. Latest Firmware.

I'll play around for a while to see how I can improve it and if it doesn't work I'll call for a replacement or return.

May 28, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #5,984 of 7,191
Got one of these for the nightly sessions when the HT experience is simply too loud and I get all these connected and loss of connection issues.
In addition to that pops or crackles from time to time.

No 2,4Ghz Wifi Active. 9 foot distance at max. Latest Firmware.

I'll play around for a while to see how I can improve it and if it doesn't work I'll call for a replacement or return.
I also do not have many 2.4 Ghz devices in my home. Most devices are on 5 Ghz channel. I have no idea why audeze penrose have issues with connection. I have gotten a few disconnections and a little crackling. I am going to try to turn off the Wi-Fi on my router then connect the penrose then turn on Wi-Fi and see if that makes a difference

May 28, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #5,985 of 7,191
I also do not have many 2.4 Ghz devices in my home. Most devices are on 5 Ghz channel. I have no idea why audeze penrose have issues with connection. I have gotten a few disconnections and a little crackling. I am going to try to turn off the Wi-Fi on my router then connect the penrose then turn on Wi-Fi and see if that makes a difference
Yikes. Now i'm starting to worry. Guess I might just have to fall back on the wired DT770(80ohm), because i just dont think the Arctis Pro Wireless will deliver in the sound department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back