Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 12, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #5,896 of 7,191
I have talked about this issue with support and basically everything is handled by the wireless chip design (sourced), here is what the support said to me :

The Penrose dongle is not set to any specific channel, and unfortunately you cannot force it to use any one channel with our current API. The Penrose dynamically switches channels based on current wireless traffic and will switch during use, but specifics on logic for this dynamic switching are unfortunately not available.

May 12, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,898 of 7,191
Before the latest firware update, I was able to connect vie Bluetooth to my iphone and mac with no issue. Simple disconnect on one, and connect with other endlessly.

Since the update though, I can’t connect to mac after disconnecting from iphone. It connects for 1-2 seconds, I hear ‘connected’ and then it disconnects. I have to restart the headset to re-connect.

Any others had this issue?

May 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #5,899 of 7,191
I think I’m gonna give it a new try when the price will be lower again ( currently 360€ on amz fr, idk why).
if the mic is still so bad for me on Xbox, can I change it ?
The mic is much better but before the firmware update but I also grabbed a $3 mic from Amazon before that was better than the audeze previously. Any mic can plug in...but there is no reason now.

May 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #5,900 of 7,191
These headphones still blow my mind. 300.00 for Bluetooth headphones that sound this dang good and get this dang loud! “ I have the Arya’s; For sale by the way.” These get you 90% of the Arya’s with wireless. Just a thicker sound and a little more distortion. These are worth the money just as Bluetooth headphones.

May 12, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #5,901 of 7,191
These headphones still blow my mind. 300.00 for Bluetooth headphones that sound this dang good and get this dang loud! “ I have the Arya’s; For sale by the way.” These get you 90% of the Arya’s with wireless. Just a thicker sound and a little more distortion. These are worth the money just as Bluetooth headphones.
That’s because the wireless headset / headphones world is a sad place lol. I’m sure the Pandas can compete though.

May 13, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #5,904 of 7,191
Any advice for a wired headset with mic for Xbox one x and series x that would be better than the penrose for the same price ? I’m totally lost.
You can use any set of headphones with a Modmic Uni and a y-adapter plugged directly into the controller. I sometimes use the HiFiMan Sundara or the HD6XX. The Penrose will sound better than this setup, because the amp in the xbox controller isn't really up to making wired headphones sound great.

It's also possible to send the sound from the xbox into a DAC/Amp combo to power the headphones but still run the mic into the controller (still using the y-cable as before, but without the headphones plugged into it, because their plugged into the amp instead). The downside is that if your house starts on fire you might die because you'll be so tangled up in cables you won't get out in time.

IMG_3871.jpg

May 14, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #5,905 of 7,191
Hello guys! I'm using this headset with Playstation 5, but is it better do keep penrose 3d audio on and ps5 3d audio off, penrose 3d audio off and ps5 3d audio on or both 3d audio on?

And is it better to use 7.1, 2.0 or high-res audio with ps5/pc (for gaming)?

Beside that, does it have an auto sleep or auto off function?

Thank you!

May 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5,906 of 7,191
Hello guys! I'm using this headset with Playstation 5, but is it better do keep penrose 3d audio on and ps5 3d audio off, penrose 3d audio off and ps5 3d audio on or both 3d audio on?

Thank you!

This is easy to answer.

Penrose doesn't have 3d audio. So just let the PS5 do it's thing.

Pick PS5 3d on or off depending on what you like. I find it's good for games designed for it, but IMO not so good as good as stereo for games being upmixed by the PS5 and not designed for 3d.

You don't get a choice of 7.1 or 2.0 or high res when plugging in headset dongle (even the PS5 headset and I also doubt the Mobius which does have 3d audio gives you that option)

May 14, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #5,907 of 7,191

Thank you!
I've found more recent PS5 games (specifically, Returnal and Resident Evil Village) make excellent use of 3D audio. Older games, not so much, so I turn 3D audio OFF for older games.

Does anyone have an EQ preset that they genuinely like? I've tried the presets directly from Audeze, but wasn't a fan. Looking for something warm-ish with decent detail and treble bite for gaming.

May 14, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #5,908 of 7,191
You can use any set of headphones with a Modmic Uni and a y-adapter plugged directly into the controller. I sometimes use the HiFiMan Sundara or the HD6XX. The Penrose will sound better than this setup, because the amp in the xbox controller isn't really up to making wired headphones sound great.

It's also possible to send the sound from the xbox into a DAC/Amp combo to power the headphones but still run the mic into the controller (still using the y-cable as before, but without the headphones plugged into it, because their plugged into the amp instead). The downside is that if your house starts on fire you might die because you'll be so tangled up in cables you won't get out in time.

IMG_3871.jpg
Problem is if you don't have access to an optical port I don't know of any amp/dac that is compatible with series X except for the astro one. I have a pair of pc38x that I use on a g6 on my pc but can't on my series x.

May 14, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #5,909 of 7,191
I'm guessing this is not the way the mic is supposed to be facing when plugged in. AFAIK it came like this. It was odd when I got it but finally got around to checking the mic and the sound is better from the mesh side. Went looking for pictures and it does seem the logo is supposed to face outward. Is it safe to rotate it so the mesh faces the mouth rather than outward? Though it might only go half way unless I am doing it wrong.

Is it a manufacturing defect? might actually have been better if the mic wasn't keyed so it could be rotated at the plug.

20210317_221815.jpg
20210507_141554.jpg

Got replacement mic from Audeze a while back and finally getting around to posting. Whoever can guess which is the improperly assembled one gets to send me $10,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back