Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,416 of 7,191
Did I read once they are going to sell the dongles seperate? I assume it won't work in that I can't get an xbox dongle to use with my non x headphones on the xbox.
In an email early January they said would be available late January. 35 reg and 50 for the extra xbox chip even though headphones cost the same. Weren't people getting sent new x dongles because they thought their was an issue with them causing some of the disconnects? If so would explain the delay. I dont remeber them saying they would be adding firmware to the dongles to take advantage of features. Seems that would be more in firmware updates on computer. They did mention though they can't guarantee the x dongle will keep working on the ps5. Unless that is what they meant by adding firmware if they did say it.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #5,418 of 7,191
In an email early January they said would be available late January. 35 reg and 50 for the extra xbox chip even though headphones cost the same. Weren't people getting sent new x dongles because they thought their was an issue with them causing some of the disconnects? If so would explain the delay. I dont remeber them saying they would be adding firmware to the dongles to take advantage of features. Seems that would be more in firmware updates on computer. They did mention though they can't guarantee the x dongle will keep working on the ps5. Unless that is what they meant by adding firmware if they did say it.

How would that break? On whose end would the change be? because a lot of people have gotten it because it does work perfectly fine.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #5,419 of 7,191
How would that break? On whose end would the change be? because a lot of people have gotten it because it does work perfectly fine.

As I understand it, they could, in the future, update the x model's firmware to add features or bug fixes specific to the xbox. They could similarly update the PlayStation model with features specific to the PlayStation. Currently, both models use the same firmware, so there is no problem with mixing and matching.

Also, the firmware is updated in the headphones, not the dongle. The dongle is supposed to be unplugged from the computer during the firmware update.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #5,420 of 7,191
Their response was that they aren't planning on changing the x not to work on ps5 but can't be sure it will always work. Not sure if it would be even possible for Microsoft to ban it on their end.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #5,421 of 7,191
I tried steelseries pro wireless and turtle beach stealth 700 just before trying the penrose and all 3 got it. I came from a BD DT990. You should try the penrose and see for yourself :wink:
I had the Penrose, returned them due to the white noise, then on Saturday picked up the Steelseries Pro Wireless to find the both have white noise, just as you discovered. Part of me wonders if I might as well go back to the Penrose if the white noise is unavoidable. What did you dislike about the Pro Wireless that made you go with the Penrose instead?

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #5,422 of 7,191
I had the Penrose, returned them due to the white noise, then on Saturday picked up the Steelseries Pro Wireless to find the both have white noise, just as you discovered. Part of me wonders if I might as well go back to the Penrose if the white noise is unavoidable. What did you dislike about the Pro Wireless that made you go with the Penrose instead?
- It did not fit as well on my head (penrose has a stronger grip) and felt flimsier to me
- while the sidetone level was configurable (I like it high) it changed abruptly during BT calls, which was the biggest deal breaker for me
- I did not like the sound for music, especially the highs which sounded artificial to me but that could be a spotify/linux thing (albeit I don't have the same feel with penrose)
- the mute button is really badly placed, you end up pressing it all the time inadvertently

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #5,423 of 7,191
i would of went with the 'semi-open' DT880's a year back, but i needed closed back with next to no sound leakage. DT770's are wonderful at that and surprisingly they sound kind of closer to open back than closed. How do the Penrose sound when pitted against the DT990's? I hear the DT990's don't sound as bright or clear as the DT880's but they're a little stronger in bass. Not as strong as the DT770's though.
I tried to compare, i'm not enough of an audiophile to describe it with words, sorry. Also, i don't have any HQ DAC and my DT990 is *really* old, i don't know if he's as good as new. I'd say the penrose does not suffer from the comparison and soundstage seems wider.

Sorry !

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #5,424 of 7,191
Me and my partner have now had this headset for nearly 3 months, one for each of us.

We were pretty worried about the issues listed here but found the headsets to work well in the arenas we care about. It connects great when the dongle is connected to the Series X or PC. We did get that connecting and reconnecting issue but only just before the battery dies so it seems like the connectivity goes low if the battery is, simple fix to keep it charged. We have had no problems ever since.

The sound quality is fantastic, music and everything sounds fantastic. Now I know what people mean about the special sound of planars.

I am looking forward to the update that lets us change the mix between bluetooth and the dongle so I can easily chat on discord connected to my phone via bluetooth and play on series X without having the series X volume forced to 10%.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #5,425 of 7,191

I didn't have whitenoise on the steelseries pro wireless. Are you sure you don't have the mic monitoring / sidetone on max? I use both, the Penrose definitely sounds better for music and movies, however the ease of use, wireless range, and replaceable batteries of the Pro Wireless is a huge plus. Also at this point the mic isn't muffled mess like the Penrose, so I go back to the Pro Wireless when I require voice chat. I received the Pro Wireless as a gift, but if I had to choose one it would be the Pro Wireless, due to all the aforementioned reasons. If you also purchase some aftermarket leather/pleather earpads for Pro Wireless, it doesn't sound too far off from the Penrose.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #5,426 of 7,191
I didn't have whitenoise on the steelseries pro wireless. Are you sure you don't have the mic monitoring / sidetone on max? I use both, the Penrose definitely sounds better for music and movies, however the ease of use, wireless range, and replaceable batteries of the Pro Wireless is a huge plus. Also at this point the mic isn't muffled mess like the Penrose, so I go back to the Pro Wireless when I require voice chat. I received the Pro Wireless as a gift, but if I had to choose one it would be the Pro Wireless, due to all the aforementioned reasons. If you also purchase some aftermarket leather/pleather earpads for Pro Wireless, it doesn't sound too far off from the Penrose.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have side tone set to 2 and the volume limiter set to On. Maybe some sets have the white noise and some do not? I have some old, large Brainwavz ear pads sitting around, maybe I could try those out.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #5,427 of 7,191
I'm guessing this is not the way the mic is supposed to be facing when plugged in. AFAIK it came like this. It was odd when I got it but finally got around to checking the mic and the sound is better from the mesh side. Went looking for pictures and it does seem the logo is supposed to face outward. Is it safe to rotate it so the mesh faces the mouth rather than outward? Though it might only go half way unless I am doing it wrong.

Is it a manufacturing defect? might actually have been better if the mic wasn't keyed so it could be rotated at the plug.

20210317_221815.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #5,428 of 7,191
I'm guessing this is not the way the mic is supposed to be facing when plugged in. AFAIK it came like this. It was odd when I got it but finally got around to checking the mic and the sound is better from the mesh side. Went looking for pictures and it does seem the logo is supposed to face outward. Is it safe to rotate it so the mesh faces the mouth rather than outward? Though it might only go half way unless I am doing it wrong.

Is it a manufacturing defect? might actually have been better if the mic wasn't keyed so it could be rotated at the plug.

20210317_221815.jpg
This is the mic that came with the Penrose yeah? The mesh is supposed to face your mouth and the logo away. Have you tried to reshape the metal arm to achieve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back