Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #5,386 of 7,191
I was able to enable software volume control on Linux by following this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110311#c11

It basically ignores the hardware volume controls (which have no effect) and uses software volume control instead; in the end i am getting proper volume control. Note that instead of rebooting, you can run udevadm control --reload-rules then unplug/replug the dongle.

Code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/90-penrose.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="sound", ACTION=="change", KERNEL=="card*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="3329", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0011", ENV{PULSE_PROFILE_SET}="/etc/pulse/penrose-profile.conf"

$ cat /etc/pulse/penrose-profile.conf
[General]
auto-profiles = no

[Mapping Headphone]
device-strings = hw:%f
channel-map = left,right
paths-output = /etc/pulse/penrose-output.conf
direction = output

[Mapping Mic]
device-strings = hw:%f
channel-map = mono
paths-input = analog-input-mic
direction = input

[Profile default]
input-mappings = Mic
output-mappings = Headphone
skip-probe = yes

$ cat /etc/pulse/penrose-output.conf
[General]
description = Stereo

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

This is good stuff and while I don't use it I know the effort that goes into making this work and I'm sure others will find it helpful.

My exposure to ALSA was limited to trying to make it work on my NAS drive and sending MQA-embedded audio to my OPPO player/USB DAC.

TLDR, I got it partially working and then gave up.

[worked using command line to send audio stream to DAC directly from saved-down PCM file with embedded MQA. But I couldn't get it to work for the TIDAL add-in running out of KODI which insisted on sometimes using the ALSA device when it worked, but seemingly at random the non-ALSA device, which destroyed the MQA secret sauce. Deleting that non-ALSA device I then started to simply get nothing at all.]

Chris

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #5,387 of 7,191
I'm no electronics expert/engineer, but I fail to see how a USB hub is going to kill a pair of headphones. At the time these headphones started coming out, a lot of people (maybe even Audeze reps, idk I'm not searching through this thread) were recommending using USB hubs or extenders to get the dongle away from the PC tower itself. Something about lowering interference and improving connection quality. I've been using an OLD 2.0 powered-USB hub for months with my Penrose, and they work just fine. I wouldn't be paranoid about using one. As of now, Audeze hasn't provided any public warnings about using them, and if my headphones suddenly break, I expect them to honor their warranty.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #5,389 of 7,191
It is a little bit more complicated. We are adding some more features (Bluetooth + 2.4 Ghz) mix etc. So we need to make sure we can get all the features controlled from the headphone. There are some more features in this (eg - Bluetooth only mode) that have been requested here.
How is this going?
I would like to modify if I want to hear louder the Xbox vs the phone, and also get better performance from the mic :S

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #5,392 of 7,191
Just a heads up to anyone who ordered the Mobius Gel Pads from Analogue Seduction, is a scam. They don’t have any in stock and claim to be getting some in from Audeze even though the item has been discontinued. I’ve tried extensively to cancel my order and they refuse to grant me a refund.

They seem to be genuine site and the reviews look honest.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.analogueseduction.net

I do wonder how much of this is this specific company and how much is Audeze mucking people about.
This is the message that I got, if indeed Audeze isn't being transparent that stuff is/is not in stock then can't really blame the shop.

We are waiting for a delivery update from the Audeze distributor because they are deleting spare parts without any notice.

I will get back to you as soon as we receive an update.

Certainly at the moment I'm pointing the finger at Audeze because even they have on their website as Gel pads and regular pads simply being out of stock. If they really think they'll never make any spares then they should delete them and then tell their distribution network. I agree witholding a refund isn't cool though I'm happy to play this out and if they fail to deliver will just raise with credit card company and give both Analogue Seduction and Audeze bad reviews.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #5,393 of 7,191
They seem to be genuine site and the reviews look honest.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.analogueseduction.net

I do wonder how much of this is this specific company and how much is Audeze mucking people about.
This is the message that I got, if indeed Audeze isn't being transparent that stuff is/is not in stock then can't really blame the shop.

Certainly at the moment I'm pointing the finger at Audeze because even they have on their website as Gel pads and regular pads simply being out of stock. If they really think they'll never make any spares then they should delete them and then tell their distribution network. I agree witholding a refund isn't cool though I'm happy to play this out and if they fail to deliver will just raise with credit card company and give both Analogue Seduction and Audeze bad reviews.

1) They used to sell the pads at double the price of anywhere else.
2) They halve the price to normal price as soon as they can't get them anymore.
3) A few days after a bunch of people here start ordering the product disappears from their website.
4) They wrote to me the pads were discontinued and that is why they removed them. They told you something different. One of their statements is a lie.
5) The guy who wrote to me had no manners at all.

So for me that's a company I don't want to deal with anymore.
I have better things to do with my time than ordering, mailing to get my money back and then waiting and checking PayPal if I indeed got it back.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #5,395 of 7,191
1) They used to sell the pads at double the price of anywhere else.
2) They halve the price to normal price as soon as they can't get them anymore.
3) A few days after a bunch of people here start ordering the product disappears from their website.
4) They wrote to me the pads were discontinued and that is why they removed them. They told you something different. One of their statements is a lie.
5) The guy who wrote to me had no manners at all.

So for me that's a company I don't want to deal with anymore.
I have better things to do with my time than ordering, mailing to get my money back and then waiting and checking PayPal if I indeed got it back.
Funny enough they told me they were expecting new stock next week hahaha

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #5,396 of 7,191
Have the arctis. Its decent bass. Not insanely head shaking but pretty good.

My DT770 Pro(250ohm)'s having amazing bass, they're notorious for that. The Arctis Pro and Penrose would just be downgrades in comparison. :p
I'd jump on board the wireless bandwagon if i could get a pair of 2.4ghz headphones that have audio quality as good as the beyers.

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #5,397 of 7,191
I've been getting more and more frequent "CONNECTED" prompts lately when using these with my PS5. Nothing I can think of has changed network/interference-wise and everything is set up as it always has been, but it's getting very annoying. I had flawless connection with the Penrose since I first got them but the last month or so they've been acting up in that regard.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #5,400 of 7,191
So I have been lurking around here since before the Penrose launched and finally decided to make a post.

I am also having the whirling/whistling sound in the left driver that many of you have also had. I currently have a ticket in with Audeze but their newest reply to me made it seem like I am just “sensitive” to the sound and that it was considered “normal” from their perspective.

Has anyone else with a ticket in received any similar responses? I definitely do not think it’s normal and I don’t believe I am more sensitive to any sounds than the next person.
I sent them back to my retailer like a month ago, and they returned them to me saying that they couldn't replicate the problem. After that I sent a ticket to Audeze and got the exact same response than you, so it seems that they are ignoring the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back