Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #5,312 of 7,191
I have it for my series X and the sound quality is amazing. When running discord or anything through bluetooth, its tough to control the volume levels between the headset, the app and the phone unless you disable absolute bluetooth volume control in the developer settings. I am hoping this becomes easier as promised by Audeze in their next update.
Awesome thanks for the info. Any other tips are welcome too. I'll be switching from a Sony WH1000-XM3 + Modmic 3.5mm combined into Y-splitter then connected into the XB controller via TRRS jack. Its probably safe to say the Aideze planar sound quality will equal or better than Sony's muddy low end.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #5,313 of 7,191
Mine does not look like that at all.
I have the fine texture across the whole thing like yours and if I was being supercritical there's one pimple/stipple in the left that, if I wasn't looking for it, then I wouldn't see it.
See fourth square down from the middle on the far left. this is tilted for maximum reflections like yours. So to all intents I would say mine is perfectly smooth. This is the left earpiece. The right doesn't even have that and is mirror-smooth.

What does yours sound like?

on my right side i also have that almost same spot, its sort of a sharp pimple, like a screw poke it from the back, and have bigger bumps on the right part, and is making this, scratching noise, like the diaphram is brushing on something with certain voice

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #5,315 of 7,191
and im getting mix info on the pressure that can damage the planars, when putting in on and off, are they really that sensitive like super sensitive?

and if so why dont they design a sort of air pressure valve that goes both ways to prevent this

like a rubber flap on the sides on the ear cup that can open and close when thiers pressure when putting it on / off, and remains close for better seal on normal use

but i think my damage is due to the wifi disconnecting with loud pops and crackles

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #5,316 of 7,191
Awesome thanks for the info. Any other tips are welcome too. I'll be switching from a Sony WH1000-XM3 + Modmic 3.5mm combined into Y-splitter then connected into the XB controller via TRRS jack. Its probably safe to say the Aideze planar sound quality will equal or better than Sony's muddy low end.
I absolutely agree with BostonBeemah. As I posted a few days ago after receiving my Penrose X, I can say:

1.-Quality is superb compared with my Astro A50 Last Gen. I now listen sounds I didnt know existed.
2.- A little bit tight. I thought from what I have read it would be worse, but after two or three hours of gameplay I feel a little pain in my ears.
3.-Wireless Connection is good for me but if I go outside my room I loose total signal. Astro A50 let me move around my flat without loosing signal.
4.- No pops, hics, cracks, etc. so far.
5.- Being able to have both connections, 2.4GHz and Bluetooth at the same time is amazing, but controlling it from the headphone is awful. I ended up using Android app. It responses very slow but its far better, This really needs to be solved in a new Firmware.

Best Regards...

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #5,322 of 7,191
That was peoples thoughts. About a month ago employee said on reddit it's to optimize the input so it sounds like optical does. I think its the same now for my ears.
Is this Firmaware the one that only was going to change de Deco Box screen to show PS5 instead of PS4??...in other words only a "cosmetic" change?
If that was the case it woudnt have taken 3 months extra over the wired pro version. Especially when They released an instructional video for the wireless showing the ps5 image 3 months ago but dubbed over the voice to say use ps4 till they figured it all out. They woudnt have held onto it for that long extra just to piss people off. They do that enough making you wait a week or two for responses with complaints.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #5,323 of 7,191
2.- A little bit tight. I thought from what I have read it would be worse, but after two or three hours of gameplay I feel a little pain in my ears.
Is the pain inside your ears? That sounds like an SPL (too loud) or an uneven frequency response with spikes causing fatigue and hearing damage...?

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #5,325 of 7,191
Popping back in after a few solid months of use to give some thoughts on the Audeze Penrose

1. That initial tightness goes away after regular use, and the headset becomes more comfortable for longer play / use sessions as a result.

2. Battery life is rather terrible, could have really used hot swappable batteries for the money spent on these.

3. Been hoping for firmware updates to come hot and heavy, they haven't been. Little disappointed considering the state in which they released

4. The range as mentioned by others is fairly short, but long enough it doesn't affect my use case. That said, the constant "connected" message is VERY annoying when I do wander just out of range. Did I say VERY? I meant VERY

--------------------

The problems I had at release with the mic have largely been resolved, it's a passable quality microphone for a wireless headset after the latest firmware update (Which was awhile ago now). Of course I hope it continues to improve, particularly on PC where it performs worse than on PS5.

Would I recommend the headset to a friend? At this point I'd have to say no. While the headset sounds amazing there are far too many compromises at the price point for me to endorse the Penrose. Sound quality isn't everything, and they dropped the ball on other aspects that may or may not be fixed with firmware updates. Not a gamble I want to expose friends to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back