Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5,341 of 7,191
No kidding? Maybe you misunderstood the way the answered you, because if not, it is the most upsetting support answer a Customer might get, to say the least, and really inaceptable from Audeze giving the fact that as "experts in audio science" they clearly must know the frequency range of human ear and work properly considering it.

I think the first time I described the sound they may have thought I was taking about the noise floor (white noise). Perhaps that happened to you as well. Since then I’ve exchanged several messages with them and I said in a previous message in this thread they believe a future firmware update can fix the warbling wind noise that comes and goes in the left ear cup for some of us.

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #5,342 of 7,191
No kidding? Maybe you misunderstood the way the answered you, because if not, it is the most upsetting support answer a Customer might get, to say the least, and really inaceptable from Audeze giving the fact that as "experts in audio science" they clearly must know the frequency range of human ear and work properly considering it.
I can also confirm, I got a similar response.

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #5,343 of 7,191
I think the first time I described the sound they may have thought I was taking about the noise floor (white noise). Perhaps that happened to you as well. Since then I’ve exchanged several messages with them and I said in a previous message in this thread they believe a future firmware update can fix the warbling wind noise that comes and goes in the left ear cup for some of us.
I sent reply to clarify because the customer service agent referred to it as a crinkling sound. So hopefully he was thinking about a different issue but I even uploaded a sound clip of what it sounds like so there should be very little confusion.

I don’t understand how they are having a hard time replicating it though because it’s been a common issue for me almost daily and I just have a very easy, direct line of slight, 7 foot away setup and only use it with my PS5.

I am going to wait for the next firmware update before I take any further actions, such as requesting a replacement. Audeze have been good about listening to customers and getting the fixes in so I’ll just be patient. I just got a little discouraged when I was told “it’s you, not us!” lol

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #5,344 of 7,191
Those buggers at Analogue Seduction in the UK don't have the gel pads.
These are the guys that used to sell them at double the price of anywhere else and recently halved the price when they got out of stock and the pads aren't made anymore.

Mailed with them to get a refund, got a blunt answer and now my order vanished from their site.
Luckily I paid with PayPal, making a complaint now.

Scammers ---> https://www.analogueseduction.net/

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,345 of 7,191
These are the guys that used to sell them at double the price of anywhere else and recently halved the price when they got out of stock and the pads aren't made anymore.

Mailed with them to get a refund, got a blunt answer and now my order vanished from their site.

oh no dont say that... Had my hopes up for nothing. Did they confirm that they didnt actually have any stock??

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #5,347 of 7,191
So I have been lurking around here since before the Penrose launched and finally decided to make a post.

I am also having the whirling/whistling sound in the left driver that many of you have also had. I currently have a ticket in with Audeze but their newest reply to me made it seem like I am just “sensitive” to the sound and that it was considered “normal” from their perspective.

Has anyone else with a ticket in received any similar responses? I definitely do not think it’s normal and I don’t believe I am more sensitive to any sounds than the next person.
I've got no wooshing.

The headphones are very close to silent when turned on, but not 100%. When the sidetone is turned on I hear a little bit of air, which I believe is the mic preamp noise. It's equal on both sides, and so quiet I can only hear it when there's no other sound being played.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #5,348 of 7,191
I sent reply to clarify because the customer service agent referred to it as a crinkling sound. So hopefully he was thinking about a different issue but I even uploaded a sound clip of what it sounds like so there should be very little confusion.

I don’t understand how they are having a hard time replicating it though because it’s been a common issue for me almost daily and I just have a very easy, direct line of slight, 7 foot away setup and only use it with my PS5.

I am going to wait for the next firmware update before I take any further actions, such as requesting a replacement. Audeze have been good about listening to customers and getting the fixes in so I’ll just be patient. I just got a little discouraged when I was told “it’s you, not us!” lol
i dont have the wind sound but i do have the pops and crackles disconnecting issue, do you have a link on youtube just curios what it sounds like, but the pops and cracks thats associated with the disconnects is really a deal breaker for me

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #5,349 of 7,191
i dont have the wind sound but i do have the pops and crackles disconnecting issue, do you have a link on youtube just curios what it sounds like, but the pops and cracks thats associated with the disconnects is really a deal breaker for me
I don’t have the sound file uploaded. I had to recreate with my iPhone the best I could because I didn’t have a great way to record it from the headset.

Its hard to explain if you haven’t heard it but once you hear it it’s all you can focus on.

Do you have the Penrose or Penrose X? I am curious if one would me more susceptible to the whirling/whistling sound for some reason.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #5,350 of 7,191
I received my Penrose X yesterday. I'm returning it today.

Pros:
- good fit and finish for $300
- good swivel & tilt of headcups - better than significantly more expensive headsets
- good microphone experience (wifi connection to Xbox Series X, friends say my in game voice quality is better than my prior modmic 3.5mm)
- sound quality has better than average detail retrieval and instrument separation in this price range

Cons:
- noticable noise floor (white noise) in the background as soon as unit powers on
- heavier than most gaming headsets
- tight fit / pressure from ear cups
- air tight seal between cup and head is just waiting to cause damage to planar membranes
- poor passive isolation. maybe the worst of any closed back headphone I've tried
- no active noise cancelation (I knew this before buying) but this is more of an issue since the passive isolation is so poor
- clunky volume management between 2+ sources. I could not get my gaming sound & chat volumes (connected via wifi) to balance without stopping and making a bluetooth connection to my Android phone app and resorting to Audeze's pitifully simple app. Add a blutooth music or Discord chat and it gets really unmanageable.
- volume steps are absurdly large. each tweak of the physical volume wheel is around 3 db. So its often too quiet or too loud.
- volume level at 10% is about the max I can tolerate. Which means I have two or three wheel clicks of usable range
- obviously flawed frequency response. (Probably the deal killer). To the trained ear, music sounds warbly and uneven, no matter if bluetooth or wifi.
- laughlibly weak bass for a planar / Audeze. Basically nothing under 30hz in some of the sound demos I use for other headphones and speakers.

I'll keep my Sony WH1000-XM3 for gaming for now.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #5,351 of 7,191

I messaged via their website after seeing your post last night so thanks for the heads up. Got an email back this morning saying they had been delayed - strange that as the website implied they had them in stock when I placed the order. Seems like Analogue Seduction just take money for items they don't even have.

Apparently they were going to be emailing everyone today to let them know (yeah, right!). Anyway, they are cancelling and processing a refund (which seems strange of they pads are only delayed?). Anyway - I paid via Paypal also so will take it up with them if I don't see the refund over the next couple of days.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #5,354 of 7,191
Yea - personally don't believe a word they say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have my PayPal refund now though.

Same here, just got it 5 minutes ago.

Man, ordering stuff from the web is a lot of work for the buyers these days.
Stuff not in stock, shipments going wrong, refunds, ...
It’s my opinion that the buyer only has 2 responsibilities: search for the goods he wants to buy and pay for it.
The rest should be followed up by the seller and communicated clearly to the buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back