Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #5,192 of 7,191
Penrose X on Series X -
Should my game/chat balance be getting reset every time I power off the headset/console? Every time I check the balance has reset to 50/50 which is incredibly frustrating with the mic/chat balance wheel in it's current configuration.

Tried search and didn't turn anything up, sorry if this is a repeat question!
I've noticed this too. It seems to reset everytime after turning it off and back on. Would be nice if it would save this setting. I've adjusted it through the Windows and Android app but it always resets.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #5,193 of 7,191
Good Day,

In my humble opinion, I think everyone will have his own preference... Both tecnologies provides a much better object positioning experience and as I have tested both of them, I think they work better depending on the source. Talkink about speakers, you must know that Dolby Atmos requires more speakers (height ones) so as to work properly...I have an Atmos Configuration with four height speakers and the experience is really good, even tough it depends greatly on the specifications of your room (height, large, depth, type of ceiling, etc.). DTS X is a more "efficient" aproach that doesnt need more speakers.

Talking about Headphones, it is a more "delicate" difference because a headphone cannot compete against a speaker talking about surround. Thats why I say that in my opinion both works well but depends on the source. Atmos is a patented tech, instead of DTS X which is free. I have both in my XBOX Series X and have been testing them with different results depending the game.

Finally, I also think it greatly depends on the quality of the headphone. With an average one I doubt you will note greater differences.
Curious which one have you preferred on the XSX with the Penrose? I have both also but have pretty much stuck to Atmos.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #5,194 of 7,191
I've noticed this too. It seems to reset everytime after turning it off and back on. Would be nice if it would save this setting. I've adjusted it through the Windows and Android app but it always resets.
yes definitely resets every time. hoping chat balance and mic volume position will be able to stay where we set it in a future update.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #5,195 of 7,191
Regarding the chat mix reset, has anyone noticed that the chat sounds more robotic, like reverb is getting added, when adjusting the mix?

It seems as though in certain mixes cause this effect but I can mitigate it if I add more game volume and less chat. At that point the chat becomes crystal clear but the game volume is way too loud. Basically if I go full chat or full game, its fine but the intermediary is where if has that effect at specific mixes.

Series X with the Penrose X and started about a week ago.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #5,196 of 7,191
Regarding the chat mix reset, has anyone noticed that the chat sounds more robotic, like reverb is getting added, when adjusting the mix?

It seems as though in certain mixes cause this effect but I can mitigate it if I add more game volume and less chat. At that point the chat becomes crystal clear but the game volume is way too loud. Basically if I go full chat or full game, its fine but the intermediary is where if has that effect at specific mixes.

Series X with the Penrose X and started about a week ago.

I don’t have this issue, but...

On Xbox I started having strong digital distortion on effects sounds in warzone. Did everything I could think of, restart the game, restart the headphones. Took two days to figure out my DTS:X trial version had expired. The Xbox was still trying to use it though. Every object based sounds was super distorted. The dialog and music sounded fine. Paying for the license or choosing a different sound mode fixed it.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #5,197 of 7,191
I don’t have this issue, but...

On Xbox I started having strong digital distortion on effects sounds in warzone. Did everything I could think of, restart the game, restart the headphones. Took two days to figure out my DTS:X trial version had expired. The Xbox was still trying to use it though. Every object based sounds was super distorted. The dialog and music sounded fine. Paying for the license or choosing a different sound mode fixed it.
Thanks I'll have to give that a shot! I paid for the Atmos but maybe i'll switch to the windows Sonic reboot and switch back to the atmos to see if that fixes it.

Its odd as it's more apparent in the Xbox party chat and not so much in game chats typically but I'll report back if that took care of it.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #5,199 of 7,191
@Audeze or @AudezeGrover

When using the dongle, if we send 44.1khz via WASAPI exclusive mode, what happens? Does the dongle or driver resample to 48khz? Or does the wireless send 44.1khz bit-perfect?

If we send a 24-bit signal the same way, what happens? Does the dongle or driver truncate to 16-bit?

Asking since the manual says the wireless works at 16-bit, 48khz. But in Windows, it shows the device is capable of 44.1khz and 48khz, as well as 16-bit and 24-bit.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #5,200 of 7,191
I swapped headbands (from the button up one to the zip up one) and its a far better fit and its wider too meaning comfort is now excellent from the headband point of view.

IMG_20210221_134347.jpg

IMG_20210221_134357.jpg

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #5,201 of 7,191
In a quest for ultimate comfort now the headband is addressed as above, time to fit some real pads. I went with the Brainwavz sheepskin leather as that is what I am familiar with on some of my other cans. I find leather the best being bald from a maintenance/cleanliness point of view. Plus it always helps with the bass.

I covered the 3d printed spacers (earlier in the thread) with felt:
IMG_20210221_133157.jpg

IMG_20210221_133921.jpg

Here is a size comparison between old and new pad:

IMG_20210221_141542.jpg

Here is 1 fitted. It is fairly fiddly to do, not to break anything. But the fit is very good and is not budging:

IMG_20210221_143152.jpg

What I notice immediately with only 1 done, the new pad is slightly quieter because your ear is slightly further away from the driver than with the thinner stock pads. Not a bad thing though, especially if you have larger ears. I would also suggest that the highs are slightly recessed. No more than 1db, so a quick EQ will have it back to exactly what it was before. Bass and mids unchanged to my ears.

Comfort is vastly improved, for me the Brainwavz are a better size for my ear. A true ear-engulfing pad, rather than the original pads which would touch my ears around the perimeter. The seal is better than before too, given the extra thickness of the new pad. The old pads are contoured so you have to be very careful when sitting the can on that the orientation is perfect.

I shan't be going back to the stock pads now. Very pleased these work so well.

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #5,202 of 7,191
Thanks, I will give this a shot. My concern is that this issue can't be fixed with a firmware update and a new unit will be required.

I have the same problem and it isn‘t fixed by turning off sidetone. It gets quieter when turning up the volume on the headset and turning it down in software, however this is sadly not possible on Xbox, only PC. I‘m not even sure if there is that much variation between units or if it‘s simply subjective perception and/or different sources and volume levels. Has anyone had their unit exchanged because of this and got a better one?

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #5,203 of 7,191
Feb 21, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #5,204 of 7,191
@Audeze
Can you actually provide an answer regarding orders to polish shop tophifi.pl? You asked me about the shop name and didn't provide any follow-up. Like I said multiple times, my order for the Penrose X is from SEPTEMBER, while people who ordered in December or even January have their pairs already, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #5,205 of 7,191
In a quest for ultimate comfort now the headband is addressed as above, time to fit some real pads. I went with the Brainwavz sheepskin leather as that is what I am familiar with on some of my other cans. I find leather the best being bald from a maintenance/cleanliness point of view. Plus it always helps with the bass.

I covered the 3d printed spacers (earlier in the thread) with felt:

Comfort is vastly improved, for me the Brainwavz are a better size for my ear. A true ear-engulfing pad, rather than the original pads which would touch my ears around the perimeter. The seal is better than before too, given the extra thickness of the new pad. The old pads are contoured so you have to be very careful when sitting the can on that the orientation is perfect.

I shan't be going back to the stock pads now. Very pleased these work so well.

This sounds like it would be a far more comfortable for my ears. Are you able to provide some links to the things you've used please? I think i can probably find the Brainwavz, and i already have some nuggets for my top band but i haven't been able to find a link to the 3d printed spacers you mentioned, which seems important to the Brainwavz fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back