Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 14, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #5,101 of 7,196
Hi all, first post here. Total noob with respect to serious Headphones so I have a few questions.

1. Is anyone here using the Penrose (X) on both console and pc?
  2. Are you swapping out the dongle each time?
  3. I was thinking of getting a USB3.0 switch but I have no experience of them or idea if this would actually work. Is anyone using such a set up?

Sorry, there was another question I wanted to ask but for the life of me I can't think of it. Covid has turned my mind to mush.

Thanks for any feedback/ help.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #5,103 of 7,196
Just a quick question.
I was trying out my LG C9 OLED's headphone jack port with my Beyer Dynamic DT770's(250ohm) and comparing the sound to my Older Sony Receiver which is currently using Optical connected to my PS4 Pro, and even with an optical connection the sound was noticeably better than the crap that came from my TV. HDMI + PS4 Pro for lossless LPCM audio is on another level obviously.

Just worried, because i'd rather stream directly from my OLED with the Penrose instead of using something like a PS4 Pro or PS5. I want to use my video game consoles strictly for gaming and the TV for streaming. Would plugging in the Penrose's 2.4ghz dongle into the OLED give me comparable audio to that of my receiver?

Also, the PS4 Pro's Streaming Apps looks noticeably softer/blurrier compared to the razer sharp crystal clear image i get from streaming directly from my OLED? What's the deal? Is it because the PS4 can't do native 4K and that it's upscaling or something?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #5,104 of 7,196
Hi all, first post here. Total noob with respect to serious Headphones so I have a few questions.

1. Is anyone here using the Penrose (X) on both console and pc?
  2. Are you swapping out the dongle each time?
  3. I was thinking of getting a USB3.0 switch but I have no experience of them or idea if this would actually work. Is anyone using such a set up?

Sorry, there was another question I wanted to ask but for the life of me I can't think of it. Covid has turned my mind to mush.

Thanks for any feedback/ help.

I personally just swap it between console and PC manually. It's such a minimal amount of work to unplug from one to the other. Plus, I think with the X dongle, you're going to have to flip the switch on the dongle to go between Xbox and PC anyway.

Also, if you do go the USB switch route, you may want to go with USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is known to cause a bit of interference with 2.4Ghz wireless dongles. Moving my dongle to a USB 2.0 hub to get it some distance from the 3.0 port helped to cut down on a little bit of crackling that I was getting (since all my PC's and PS5's ports are 3.0).

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #5,105 of 7,196
Just a quick question.
I was trying out my LG C9 OLED's headphone jack port with my Beyer Dynamic DT770's(250ohm) and comparing the sound to my Older Sony Receiver which is currently using Optical connected to my PS4 Pro, and even with an optical connection the sound was noticeably better than the crap that came from my TV. HDMI + PS4 Pro for lossless LPCM audio is on another level obviously.

Just worried, because i'd rather stream directly from my OLED with the Penrose instead of using something like a PS4 Pro or PS5. I want to use my video game consoles strictly for gaming and the TV for streaming. Would plugging in the Penrose's 2.4ghz dongle into the OLED give me comparable audio to that of my receiver?

Also, the PS4 Pro's Streaming Apps looks noticeably softer/blurrier compared to the razer sharp crystal clear image i get from streaming directly from my OLED? What's the deal? Is it because the PS4 can't do native 4K and that it's upscaling or something?
Uh, I have a C9 myself and didn't even realize that was considered a headphone out. Learn something new every day.

And internal apps may be more up to date than the ps4 Pros. I've noticed some even on ps5 only render up to 1080p while C9 internal apps render at 4K.

I'd def consider using the Hdmi ARC function, instead of using either the analog or optical out. The optical out is packed with interference too.

ALSO, make sure the PS4 Pro is set to RGB, and not yuv 420 or 422 (though you're limited to 422 in HDR.)

The TV's hdmi input icon must be set to PC in order to get RGB at 4K. Yes, even for consoles.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #5,106 of 7,196
Well today, that latest issue happened. If I ever so slightly move my head or touch the left cup it makes a nice like tin foil is being crunched. No idea what it is, but it's very annoying as it's louder than the sound coming through the headphones. Very disappointed in this from @Audeze which is a shame as they're the best sounding headset I've used. I just hope I can return them.

Question is, do I spin the wheel of luck and try to get a pair that isn't littered with issues or do I get something else recommended in this price range?

It sounds like you may have damaged the diaphragm; do you 'snap' the headphones on your head, or press them on?

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #5,107 of 7,196
Uh, I have a C9 myself and didn't even realize that was considered a headphone out. Learn something new every day.

And internal apps may be more up to date than the ps4 Pros. I've noticed some even on ps5 only render up to 1080p while C9 internal apps render at 4K.

I'd def consider using the Hdmi ARC function, instead of using either the analog or optical out. The optical out is packed with interference too.

ALSO, make sure the PS4 Pro is set to RGB, and not yuv 420 or 422 (though you're limited to 422 in HDR.)

The TV's hdmi input icon must be set to PC in order to get RGB at 4K. Yes, even for consoles.

That's strange that the PS5 is only outputing 1080p when streaming, it should be capable of native 4K.
But yeah, i wouldn't even bother with the headphone jack out, sound isn't anything to write home about. the lack of treble and bass control doesn't help either.

I've been torn between getting a pair of Audeze Penrose or just settling with a new Sony 790 Receiver to use just for my Beyer Dynamic DT770's, and using it's eArc HDMI port so i can just connect my Switch and PS4 Pro straight to the TV, which will bypass video processing, lag etc through the receiver. But again, i'm tired of the Wire :p

Might as well try out the Penrose and see how they compare to the beyers. a wired set of cans has 7ms of latency, where as the penrose have 16ms....I'm assuming, if you DO notice lip syncing delays while streaming movies/TV shows you can just adjust the syncing using that level option with your TV's audio settings?

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,108 of 7,196
I definitely don't notice. Between 7 and 16ms, they're both within the same frame on a 0-60fps content. You're talking less than 1/60th of a second difference between them.

I think in order to be really noticeable you have to surpass over 40ms.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #5,109 of 7,196
I definitely don't notice. Between 7 and 16ms, they're both within the same frame on a 0-60fps content. You're talking less than 1/60th of a second difference between them.

I think in order to be really noticeable you have to surpass over 40ms.

With video game lag, that's a different story.:p
Have you had any drop outs or crackling etc even at a reasonable distance with the Penrose when using the PS4/PS5?

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #5,110 of 7,196
Guys, just want to check a few things. The Penrose (non-X) doesn't support chatmix for PS4/PS5 and PC am I right? If so, the press down button on the volume and mic gain does nothing too right?

BTW these wireless headphones are the best I have ever heard and they are planar magnetic too. So happy I cancel the Drop Pandas. I just wanted something for wireless gaming. I also use these for listening to music while working and still connected to my phone at the same time.

Lastly I thought of sharing an EQ setting with everyone. These work very well for my music (EDM, R&B, Pop, etc) and are inspired by HD 820/Celestee tuning trend of lowering the upper bass/lower mids. Below are the settings I use:

32Hz (+1dB), 64Hz (+2dB), 125Hz (+1dB), 250Hz (-2dB), 500-16kHz (all left at 0dB).

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #5,111 of 7,196
It sounds like you may have damaged the diaphragm; do you 'snap' the headphones on your head, or press them on?

I don't know what you mean by snap them onto my head. I do as I do with all my headphones, I take them off their stand, widen them enough to pull them down over my ears and then move them into place on my head. As for pressing them on, I'm not sure what this means either, but there's a power button on the side, which I obviously have to press to turn them on, off and to search BT devices, but other than that, there's no pressing on them.

Could I have damaged them by just switching them on? Seems unlikely, unless this is a weird design flaw. @Audeze is this possible?

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5,112 of 7,196
I personally just swap it between console and PC manually. It's such a minimal amount of work to unplug from one to the other. Plus, I think with the X dongle, you're going to have to flip the switch on the dongle to go between Xbox and PC anyway.

Also, if you do go the USB switch route, you may want to go with USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is known to cause a bit of interference with 2.4Ghz wireless dongles. Moving my dongle to a USB 2.0 hub to get it some distance from the 3.0 port helped to cut down on a little bit of crackling that I was getting (since all my PC's and PS5's ports are 3.0).

Thank you for the info 👍

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #5,114 of 7,196
Hi everyone,

I have the Audeze Penrose and I've been following this thread for some time but couldn't find how to adjust Bluetooth and wifi sound levels separately (if that's possible of course). When I connect via Bluetooth, the bluetooth connection seems to overtake everything else. Are there any solutions to this? Thanks!

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #5,115 of 7,196
Hi everyone,

I have the Audeze Penrose and I've been following this thread for some time but couldn't find how to adjust Bluetooth and wifi sound levels separately (if that's possible of course). When I connect via Bluetooth, the bluetooth connection seems to overtake everything else. Are there any solutions to this? Thanks!
They posted like 20 posts ago they are working on adjusting the levels in an upcoming update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back