Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #5,131 of 7,191
Microsoft just launched their wireless headset, I don't expect them to sound nearly as good as the Penrose, but I do think they will just "work" straight out the box.

Also pretty cheap at just 99 USD, If these are the headphones that they collaborated with B&O these might actually sound decent for the price as well.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #5,132 of 7,191
Has anybody noticed any drop outs, crackling etc when playing Switch, or PS4/PS5 via 2.4ghz dongle at a reasonable distance, at lets say 9 feet?

I only get crackling and drop outs when I leave the room. No issues when gaming on PS5 or using it on work computer for Teams and Skype calls.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #5,133 of 7,191
Also pretty cheap at just 99 USD, If these are the headphones that they collaborated with B&O these might actually sound decent for the price as well.

Wow, after the announcements with B&O a few month ago I really thought it would become a competitor and thought about waiting for the release.
after all - at this price point while wireless AND B&O I would not expect much.

I just fitted the Brainwavz Oval Gel Gaming Earpads on my Penrose.
pretty comfortable and feels really cool after an hour or so. they Sound a Little hars in the Highs.
i printed the cages from thingiverse, have to try without them or use a little bit more felt on them.

I will report back when I found my best solution.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #5,139 of 7,191
A little more felt on the printed cage (especially on the inside) and I really like this so far...
As I’m without hair I really disliked the leather like feel of the stock pads :D

71935324-6527-4989-9D57-B08B2B6DBF2C.jpeg

Really happy to receive a new firmware (hopefully) soon with more features!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #5,140 of 7,191
Hi there, first poster here. I have been trying to read everything in this incredibly long thread, and was not able to get all responses to my interrogations.

I'm a Linux user looking for a great sounding wireless + BT headset, for PC-based music / heavy videoconferencing and phoning. It's not unusual that i spend 6 hours per day in VC calls, so the calling experience and longtime comfort are very important to me.

I did try the Steelseries Pro Wireless, and, on top of the sound which sounded worse to me than my 60€ Logitech G432 or to my good old DT-990 Pro, what made me return it after a few days is the fact that the sidetone volume changes abruptly when in bluetooth mode (and is not tunable), so when you switch between a VC call (i set the sidetone to lvl 7 which is pretty high i guess) and respond to a BT call, the sidetone suddently changes (to a very low value). Also, i didn't like to sound signature, seemed quite artificial.

Can @Audeze describe how the sidetone works on Penrose ? At first sight
- i understand that you cannot control it's level (is that true) ? What is it set to currently ?
- @Mad Lust Envy said "I personally don't like sidetone being on, other than when testing as the slight delay between my voice and when the sidetone plays is distracting. " <-- is sidetone not zerolatency (like a monitoring output on a music DAC) ? In other terms, is the sidetone "emulated" (software looped, with some perceivable delay) ?
- do you confirm that in 2.4 + BT dual mode, sidetone does not change ?

PS: i understand that many users on this forum don't like sidetone, i didn't at first and now i can't do without !

Also, i read somewhere that when the headset turns off, the audio device disappears in the OS, and that it's a feature; could this behaviour become a configuration option (like the idle timeout) ?

Another concern to me after reading these posts is the durability / fragility of the drivers; many users seem to report clickings / frackling or other weird noises after some usage, is that an early series concern or is that expected with planars (which i never had) ? In other terms, would i need to handle these like porcelain all the time ? If, despite taking good care of these, this happens say after 3 months, does warranty cover this ? What is the warranty duration ?

Last concern is obviously comfort, but my reading seems to indicate there is no real consensus here, very personal and/or morphological, so the only way to know is to try for myself.

Thanks,

@ethernode I use BT and with Sidetone on and don't have any latency issues.

I've balanced my sidetone vs relative volume preferences per instructions here. I also adjusted my headset mic.

Aside from the mic driver muting itself in Windows whenever powering off and on again I'm not happy with the end result.

Just a thought - the symptoms explained by @Mad Lust Envy exactly matches what I was hearing when the Audeze drivers mute the Penrose mic and if you have enabled "listen to mic on audio device" - you end up hearing yourself through your headset via whatever is the default Microphone on PC/laptop instead.

Why can I hear my microphone through my Mobius? – Audeze Customer Service Center (zendesk.com)
Some words about Penrose's microphone quality – Audeze Customer Service Center (zendesk.com)

Regards

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #5,141 of 7,191
Thanks for the article at https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...y-can-I-hear-my-microphone-through-my-Mobius-

> If you feel sidetone is not for you, you can reduce the mic gain by spinning the Mic Volume Wheel downwards. This gain reduction has more effect on sidetone than it does on the mic's output, so your mic's output level should not be reduced much as far as what other galactic beings can hear.

So that means sidetone level is basically adjusted by changing mic gain... Strange choice, but if that works...

> Aside from the mic driver muting itself in Windows whenever powering off and on again

Is that a software mute (i.e. in windows) ? I wonder what it would do on Linux (alsa mute ?); this one sounds exceedingly annoying.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #5,142 of 7,191
Thanks for the article at https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...y-can-I-hear-my-microphone-through-my-Mobius-

> If you feel sidetone is not for you, you can reduce the mic gain by spinning the Mic Volume Wheel downwards. This gain reduction has more effect on sidetone than it does on the mic's output, so your mic's output level should not be reduced much as far as what other galactic beings can hear.

So that means sidetone level is basically adjusted by changing mic gain... Strange choice, but if that works...

> Aside from the mic driver muting itself in Windows whenever powering off and on again

Is that a software mute (i.e. in windows) ? I wonder what it would do on Linux (alsa mute ?); this one sounds exceedingly annoying.

it works until they enable explicit adjustment. Read up for more on that.

the other item is extremely annoying . Less so now that they've enabled user-defined power-off timeout. When it was at 10 minutes I wanted to throw headset against the wall because if you had back to back meetings separated only by 10 mins you'd goto the loo and then have to go back to turn on headset, goto windows, right click audo control, select audio control panel, goto the audio settings, turn on the mic, change software mic gain back to whatever you had it (Audeze both Mute and reset gain to 40). reselect headset in Citrix/Skype.

Now with timeout at 45 mins I only need to do that once per day as normally in and out of calls.

- I think it's a driver fault. betting a twisted view of privacy. My Creative buds don't do this.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5,143 of 7,191
Penrose X on Series X -
Should my game/chat balance be getting reset every time I power off the headset/console? Every time I check the balance has reset to 50/50 which is incredibly frustrating with the mic/chat balance wheel in it's current configuration.

Tried search and didn't turn anything up, sorry if this is a repeat question!

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5,144 of 7,191
I only get crackling and drop outs when I leave the room. No issues when gaming on PS5 or using it on work computer for Teams and Skype calls.

If i get one single drop out during a movie or a game even within a reasonable distance while i'm IN the room i'd lose it haha.
How's the sound for Movies when streaming or when using Bluray? Again, i'm coming from a pair of Beyer DT770(250ohm) paired with a Sony Receiver for lossless HDMI audio.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #5,145 of 7,191
How's the sound for Movies when streaming or when using Bluray? Again, i'm coming from a pair of Beyer DT770(250ohm) paired with a Sony Receiver for lossless HDMI audio.

Haven't tried with movies or shows, I only use my speaker system for that. It's probably decent enough if you must watch with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back