Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #5,146 of 7,191
Haven't tried with movies or shows, I only use my speaker system for that. It's probably decent enough if you must watch with headphones.

I've heard some users say they actually prefer the sound of penrose over the Beyer DT770's, but some were saying the beyers sound a bit better for music and movies.
I just want to ditch the wire. I've got a super convenient set up going, with streaming and my modern game library for Switch & PS5 is entirely digital, the controller charging docks are even beside my Couch's end table. :p All that's left to axe are the wired Beyers and the Receiver. At some point i want to get an LG 7.1.4 wireless sound bar surround sound dolby atmos system. $1999 CAD, a little steep. but i just love the convenience and simplicity of it.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #5,147 of 7,191
Penrose X on Series X -
Should my game/chat balance be getting reset every time I power off the headset/console? Every time I check the balance has reset to 50/50 which is incredibly frustrating with the mic/chat balance wheel in it's current configuration.

Tried search and didn't turn anything up, sorry if this is a repeat question!
Good Day,

Dont know with Penrose X...Mine is stuck in Customs due to a registration number missing ( :frowning2: ). But maybe this not at all a Penrose problem. I have an Astro 50 Gen4, obviously connected through USB to Series X, and I have exactly the same problem with game/chat balance reset every time I turn on the Headset. Always I have to lower game volume because is really high compared with Chat.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #5,148 of 7,191
I know others have reported this issue, but the electronic static / wind noise / whatever in the left earcup when nothing is playing is incredibly annoying. Has Audeze said they will fix this? I have had three other wireless headsets and never experienced this.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #5,149 of 7,191
I've heard some users say they actually prefer the sound of penrose over the Beyer DT770's, but some were saying the beyers sound a bit better for music and movies.
I just want to ditch the wire. I've got a super convenient set up going, with streaming and my modern game library for Switch & PS5 is entirely digital, the controller charging docks are even beside my Couch's end table. :p All that's left to axe are the wired Beyers and the Receiver. At some point i want to get an LG 7.1.4 wireless sound bar surround sound dolby atmos system. $1999 CAD, a little steep. but i just love the convenience and simplicity of it.

I haven’t heard the Beyers so can’t comment on that, but I imagine you’d need atleast a decent dac/amp to get the most out of them. Wireless is really convenient feature though and Penrose is great for that.

Personally I’d rather get a nice set of speakers than a soundbar. If soundbar is absolutely necessary, I’d look at Naim or Klipsch instead of LG or other ”market brands.”

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #5,150 of 7,191
Hi there,

I'm sorry if i missed something, but i just get my Penrose for my PC and I experience exactly, almost word for word, what is said here :

My brother and I hear one another just fine. It just comes across as muffled and / or all detail in the voice vanishes. It's astounding just how different the mic on this headset sounds based on what you are using it on. While in a party on PS5 the mic sounds great (You couldn't ask for more), but on Discord it falls flat, big time. Having to change settings outside of what you would normally to try and make it sound better shouldn't be on us. I can hook up a $5 mic to the PC that sounds better over Discord than the Penrose. I shouldn't be saying that for how much we spent on it. I don't know who is at fault, but Audeze needs to investigate and resolve the issue for those who plan to use the headset on PC exclusively. For myself I have a nice XLR mic to use so it isn't the end of the world... but I'd still like to fall back on it or use it for calls where I want to leave my desk to stretch my legs.

Again, we hear one another just fine, nor is it expressly terrible... it just sounds like my brother is trying to talk through a sock and the result is a very dull voice with no weight behind it.

I already made a lot of YouTube/reddit/web researches and it look likes i'm not the only one bored with this.
Audeze gave me the main advices (microphone positionning, settings in Discord, then wait for a new firmware) but i'm stuck here.
Meanwhile, my friend are laughing at me each time i join our Discord server ("your 300 dollars headset"). It was hundred times better with my previous HyperX headset.
Is there an issue ? Did Audeze officially answer this Discord particular issue ?

Thanks all

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #5,151 of 7,191
I know others have reported this issue, but the electronic static / wind noise / whatever in the left earcup when nothing is playing is incredibly annoying. Has Audeze said they will fix this? I have had three other wireless headsets and never experienced this.
They haven't mentioned looking into it yet, but given the amount of people with this problem and it just affecting 1 earcup, it seems well within reason that they WILL be able to address it.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #5,152 of 7,191
Hi there,

I'm sorry if i missed something, but i just get my Penrose for my PC and I experience exactly, almost word for word, what is said here :

I already made a lot of YouTube/reddit/web researches and it look likes i'm not the only one bored with this.
Audeze gave me the main advices (microphone positionning, settings in Discord, then wait for a new firmware) but i'm stuck here.
Meanwhile, my friend are laughing at me each time i join our Discord server ("your 300 dollars headset"). It was hundred times better with my previous HyperX headset.
Is there an issue ? Did Audeze officially answer this Discord particular issue ?

Thanks all

I don't have problems in Discord after I tweaked a few settings: disable Echo Cancellation and Noise Reduction. Also make sure the right side of the mic is facing your mouth, and I turned up the mic volume on the headset a bit. People have told me my mic sounds broadcast quality.

Hope that helps

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #5,153 of 7,191
They haven't mentioned looking into it yet, but given the amount of people with this problem and it just affecting 1 earcup, it seems well within reason that they WILL be able to address it.

But it's been months since the problem has been mentioned, no?

In their responses, they send me all the basic recommendations, but they never address the specific Discord issue. And when I point this one I have no more answer, certainly because they do not want to communicate on it ...

I don't have problems in Discord after I tweaked a few settings: disable Echo Cancellation and Noise Reduction. Also make sure the right side of the mic is facing your mouth, and I turned up the mic volume on the headset a bit. People have told me my mic sounds broadcast quality.

Hope that helps

Nah, it does not. As already said, no matter the optimisations i make it's like "trying to talk through a sock and the result is a very dull voice with no weight behind it".
And it works much better elsewhere.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #5,154 of 7,191
But it's been months since the problem has been mentioned, no?

You are right, it has been a fair amount of time yes. They addressed a similar issue with the firmware update last time (overall noise floor, in both ears) so that is why it seems likely that they can still work on this. Given it is in 1 earcup only, there is probably a bug in the DSP. Would be good for an official word though @Audeze @AudezeGrover

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #5,155 of 7,191
A little more felt on the printed cage (especially on the inside) and I really like this so far...
As I’m without hair I really disliked the leather like feel of the stock pads :D

71935324-6527-4989-9D57-B08B2B6DBF2C.jpeg

Really happy to receive a new firmware (hopefully) soon with more features!
So how did you attach the printed parts? And what does the felt offer?

I am tempted to try the same with the leather brainwavz. Also without hair but I find non leather materials to deteriorate quicker.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #5,156 of 7,191
You are right, it has been a fair amount of time yes. They addressed a similar issue with the firmware update last time (overall noise floor, in both ears) so that is why it seems likely that they can still work on this. Given it is in 1 earcup only, there is probably a bug in the DSP. Would be good for an official word though @Audeze @AudezeGrover

I use the mic on Discord every day, and as it is, it's just not possible. Sometimes I take out the HyperX just so my correspondents can hear me...

I am reluctant to return the Penrose because of this, which is why I would like to know if I should wait for a quick update or not.

Thank you for your words BTW !

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #5,157 of 7,191
for mic problems try this not sure if it helps, i have to move the mic far away from my mouth, and the direction of the mic is facing a little going up instead of facing it directly to my mouth or facing up, angle of the mic, and the mic sitting a little lower or level with my chin, but need to be far away from my mouth i think the mic is sensitive thats why if its near your mouth it distorts and muffles, and i also turn of echo cancelation , other mic i use need the mic to be close to my mouth this one needs to be far

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #5,158 of 7,191
I use the mic on Discord every day, and as it is, it's just not possible. Sometimes I take out the HyperX just so my correspondents can hear me...

I am reluctant to return the Penrose because of this, which is why I would like to know if I should wait for a quick update or not.

Thank you for your words BTW !

Try that, audeze posted it but you have to dig to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back