Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #4,847 of 7,191
I do understand what you mean. I agree with you there, actually. Atmos for headphones lacks enough virtual room size that it doesn't portray virtual surround well enough. On the opposite end, DTS-X has too much reverb and makes things come across a bit too artificial sounding. What you need is a good middle ground. Might I suggest Creative SBX (though you'll need an extrenal device like the Creative G6). And on PC, I suggest Redscape Audio.

Both of these have granular settings that let you adjust ther room size, and both actually have a really great balance between sound quality preservation and psychoacoustics.

This is why I said it wasn't really aimed at you. I was venting in general because I do get a lot of people just writing them off for the reasons mentioned. Your post brought up some bad memories. Lol.

As for preserving as much of a headphone's signature, this is the problem with virtual surround. They just aren't unless you keep room size to an absolute minimum. The bigger the scope, the less of the headphone that remains. You have to sacrifice directionality and depth for headphone's inherent traits. You can't really have both. All you can get is what a good headphone can do to that virtual speaker room, but it's still no longer your headphone. Now it's just a great sounding bridge to that virtual speaker room, that may or may not sound better than other headphone-turned-bridges to those virtual speaker rooms.

The technology is utterly transformative.
I totally hear you on the trade off between spaciousness and preserving sound. That's the engineering challenge though. They are competing to develop software that overcomes the challenge as much as possible. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, it's just my ear, but the DTS X virtualizer just sounds better to me. Maybe it is the reverb difference, I'm not sure. But ATMOS just always sounds more compressed and computerized to me. Even on my actual 7.2 system 7/10 movies I'll take the DTS track over Dolby. I guess it makes me a fanboy or something but it's just where my ear takes me. YMMV.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #4,848 of 7,191
I can't speak for Xbox use, since I haven't had an Xbox in years. I just know that Windows based ATmos for Headphone and DTS-X are two of my least favorite 3D audio implemetations, due to lack of customizability of virtual room size/reverb.

And he CAN use the G6. Assuming you send Dolby Digital bitstream to your TV, if your TV has optical out, with a dolby digital passthrough.

The G6 has an optical in and can decode Dolby Digital to SBX.

ASSUMING the Xbox can send Dolby Digital bitstream through the HDMI. If not, I think it can send Atmos, which IIRC has a Dolby Digital container as a fallback. I might be wrong here. The Dolby Digital light on my G6 has stopped working awhile ago.

Yes there is a bitstream out option on Xbox but I thought tv > optical > g6 you can only send stereo. I might be wrong tho. If so I’d be gladly use G6 with my Mobius and Penrose owners also can.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #4,849 of 7,191
Yes there is a bitstream out option on Xbox but I thought tv > optical > g6 you can only send stereo. I might be wrong tho. If so I’d be gladly use G6 with my Mobius and Penrose owners also can.
Nah, it depends on the TV. Some TVs can send Dolby, some can't. Now if you mean what the G6 can send out, yes, through its optical out, it does not pass Dolby to other devices. Don't use the USB function for the G6 (other than on PC), use the optical input.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #4,850 of 7,191
Yes, I'm triggered. It's a topic so many people dismiss without takiing two miserable seconds trying to understand the technology.

I got some experience in audio and am also using an atmos system in my livingroom.

I fully understand what is simulated there but DTS sounds for me like they placed the speakers in a really big, empty hallway :wink:
Not the effect it’s supposed to deliver, at least not in my mind.

the way sonic, atmos and dts are reworking the audio is very different and the result is also, so I dont see anything wrong in discussing what’s the personal preference of another user.

If you would know as much about audio and especially headphones as you’re spoiling here you would be aware the reception is very individual and a sound profile you might like could be completely wrong for some others - even by anatomy, not even speaking about your subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,851 of 7,191
I'm well aware of the differences between virtual surround dsps, and as I stated, that wasn't aimed at people knowing what to expect out of them and why they sound the way they do.

My frustrations were revolved around those that don't, and compare a headphone to a virtual surround presentation with the headphone.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,852 of 7,191
I'm well aware of the differences between virtual surround dsps, and as I stated, that wasn't aimed at people knowing what to expect out of them and why they sound the way they do.

My frustrations were revolved around those that don't, and compare a headphone to a virtual surround presentation with the headphone.

Okay,I understand that.
The different soundstages / processing is nothing wrong, but the result should be (in my opinion / for me) a „natural“ room with as much reverb as needed to simulate the room size in game.

DTS:X (especially the spacious setting) just gives me the feeling I’m standing in a much larger room than I’m in - without any furniture or curtains :wink:
I think everyone was in an empty room before and knows the difference.

Not what I expect from a Simulation.

What setting/ dsp/ ep Option do you use for gaming and do you get good positioning in shooters?

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #4,854 of 7,191
I use Penros with Xbox.
Share your equalizer settings for Dolby Atmos!
Needed for single games / for example RDR 2, Resident Evil 2, Gears of War 5 /
I found that best settings are using warm eq preset on Penrose X and then using flat eq for Atmos. I wouldn't add one eq over another and believe it's best to use the headphones own eq. In Dolby Access just turn on sound virtualization and if you play fps games and want to really hear the footsteps, then turn sound leveler on. Remember to apply the settings.

To be honest when I tried out DTS X I used my Mobius and it sounded horrific. It wasn't as bad as Windows Sonic but it messed up the sound for me. And what I've heard, the Atmos is preferred 7 times out of 10 over DTS X or Sonic, when DTS X is preferred 2 times out of ten and then there is that one weirdo who says he likes Windows Sonic. But I believe the latter hasn't just tried out DTS X or Atmos as these two compete in whole different league. To me the Atmos isn't as good as Mobius' 3D virtualization nor isn't as good as my real surround system but it's by far nearest to that real and natural sound of those two.

I don't like to fiddle with settings all the time and for me these settings work well with music and movies too.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #4,855 of 7,191
I found that best settings are using warm eq preset on Penrose X and then using flat eq for Atmos. I wouldn't add one eq over another and believe it's best to use the headphones own eq. In Dolby Access just turn on sound virtualization and if you play fps games and want to really hear the footsteps, then turn sound leveler on. Remember to apply the settings.

Thanks for the advice!

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #4,856 of 7,191
Hi guys,

Like many others i've registered an account just to talk about the penrose.

I've just recieved my penrose X, put them on for 5 minutes and walked about 8 or so meters away from the dongle and they did the disconnect loop before reconnecting.

Now this to me isn't a problem as i'll seldom walk away from the dongle, i'm a PC user. However upon reconnecting the right ear is making an awful clicking noise if i move my head even when the headset is turned off, like there's a loose component.

Has anyone else experienced this? (Apologies if its been mentioned) Is this an RMA do we think? (EDIT: After searching the posts i've seen one person say this could be the pressure change damaging the planar driver?! I had used them for barely 5 minutes and put them on/off maybe 3 times)

Sound quality is absolutely incredible, i'm upgrading from my planatronics back beat pro 2's. The 5 minutes i had it working i had an absolute grin on my face.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #4,857 of 7,191
Just wanted to share with someone. After some research and reverse engineering the app I found the link with information about the latest firmware update:
https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/AudezePenroseFW.xml

It contains this:
XML:
<!DOCTYPE Penrose_FW>
<data
version="0.1.5"
persistent="https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/FW_V_0_1_2/AmberX.persist.cfs.bin"
params="https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/FW_V_0_1_2/AmberX.params.cfs.bin"
firmware="https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/FW_V_0_1_2/av3595_baker_app_fwb1.cfs.bin"
data="https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/FW_V_0_1_2/AmberX.data.cfs.bin"
/>

Possibly you can host your own firmwares and by hex-editing exe-binary flash it. But ofc no one should do it without caution and proper knowledge.

I tried to find any other links, but there is no chance. I even tried to bruteforce the path, but found only FW_V_0_1_0 firmware. From the file of the newest version:
JSON:
{
  "host": "John-NB",
  "path": "D:\\Works\\workspace\\tools\\Avnera",
  "builder": "John",
  "buildtime": "Nov 26 2020, 03:00:49 PM"
}
From the old (FW_V_0_1_0) one:
JSON:
{
  "host": "John-NB",
  "path": "D:\\Works\\workspace\\tools\\Avnera",
  "builder": "John",
  "buildtime": "Sep 21 2020, 11:33:15 AM"
}

Maybe it will help someone.

A little bit about headset itself. At the first two days of usage I noticed that it charges superfast. Also quickly discharges. I almost returned it to a shop, but it seems like battery life is pretty much okay, but app/firmware are just providing false information about it. Maybe it will calibrate after some cycles. Ofc, I will test it for a bit, but it seems okay currently. I have used it for all daylight today.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #4,858 of 7,191
Hi guys,

Like many others i've registered an account just to talk about the penrose.

I've just recieved my penrose X, put them on for 5 minutes and walked about 8 or so meters away from the dongle and they did the disconnect loop before reconnecting.

Now this to me isn't a problem as i'll seldom walk away from the dongle, i'm a PC user. However upon reconnecting the right ear is making an awful clicking noise if i move my head even when the headset is turned off, like there's a loose component.

Has anyone else experienced this? (Apologies if its been mentioned) Is this an RMA do we think? (EDIT: After searching the posts i've seen one person say this could be the pressure change damaging the planar driver?! I had used them for barely 5 minutes and put them on/off maybe 3 times)

Sound quality is absolutely incredible, i'm upgrading from my planatronics back beat pro 2's. The 5 minutes i had it working i had an absolute grin on my face.

Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back