Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #4,831 of 7,191
November? I preordered in September in Poland and still waiting and supposedly they sent out units to EU distributors in December...

Guys Penrose X arrived to even Canada like 3 days ago for the first time. There is an ongoing pandemic still and most probably affecting the delivery times especially for those who order in large quantities. Although if it’s here by now. It should be there soon enough.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #4,832 of 7,191
November? I preordered in September in Poland and still waiting and supposedly they sent out units to EU distributors in December...

That's weird. Lots of stores have them in stock in Finland. Supply shouldn't be an issue.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #4,834 of 7,191
Guys, they arrived in Italy! mine also arrived yesterday ... I have to try them more and still get used to the type of sound, but the sound of the various elements is so detailed and separate, it makes warzone audio horrible. No tightening problems but my helmet is an S. Unfortunately, I can confirm that the wind noise in the left ear is very evident up to the first three volume shots. I have asked Audeze several times here if they think they can solve this problem, but I have not received an answer ... for me that I often use them at low volume is very annoying

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #4,835 of 7,191
Guys, they arrived in Italy! mine also arrived yesterday ... I have to try them more and still get used to the type of sound, but the sound of the various elements is so detailed and separate, it makes warzone audio horrible. No tightening problems but my helmet is an S. Unfortunately, I can confirm that the wind noise in the left ear is very evident up to the first three volume shots. I have asked Audeze several times here if they think they can solve this problem, but I have not received an answer ... for me that I often use them at low volume is very annoying
A couple of pages back an Audeze rep stated if you were still having whooshing sounds to contact support

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,836 of 7,191
Had my penrose X for a few weeks now. I sit only a few feet from the dongle on my PC and I have 0 issues with wireless using older Logitech. These started getting popping noises. It started off as once a day, and has slowly progressed worse. Last few days it was couple of times an hour. I don't have sensitive ears, but these pops bother me quite a bit, actually giving me a headache. I ordered arctis pro wireless last night and will make a comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #4,837 of 7,191
Had my penrose X for a few weeks now. I sit only a few feet from the dongle on my PC and I have 0 issues with wireless using older logitechs. These started getting popping noises. It started off as once a day, and has slowly progressed worse. Last few days it was couple of times an hour. I don't have sensitive ears, but these pops bother me quite a bit, actually giving me a headache. Between the popping, joke of a software on PC I made the decision to return them. I ordered arctis pro wireless last night. I was hoping to have a nice wireless experience with quality sound and gaming capability... but the popping noise, I can't do it. I'm going to get stuck eating $50 dollars to return a subpar product. Also, please don't let interns write your software and SDLC pipelines. Runtimes warnings on PC is a bit ridiculous.

So you prefer less audio quality to superior wireless connection. I mean you could as well try your 3.5 mm jack for now until they fix the issue or replace your pair with another since some people have zero issues with connectivity. You maybe facing a unit specific issue there. Just fyi.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #4,838 of 7,191
So you prefer less audio quality to superior wireless connection. I mean you could as well try your 3.5 mm jack for now until they fix the issue or replace your pair with another since some people have zero issues with connectivity. You maybe facing a unit specific issue there. Just fyi.
I'm just being overly emotional. I get it's a knee jerk reaction. I'm going to compare the sound quality of the arctis when they come in today and make a decision after. I really want to like these headphones, as they sound fantastic. But yea, wireless is important and the popping is killing me. I've been using audio technica ATH-MSR7's with a vmoda mic and has worked for years. But, I do get up a lot from my desk and it would be nice to not plug/take headset off. While I tested my old Logitechs and confirm no popping, don't think I can go back to that sound quality.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,839 of 7,191
I'm just being overly emotional. I get it's a knee jerk reaction. I'm going to compare the sound quality of the arctis when they come in today and make a decision after. I really want to like these headphones, as they sound fantastic. But yea, wireless is important and the popping is killing me. I've been using audio technica ATH-MSR7's with a vmoda mic and has worked for years. But, I do get up a lot from my desk and it would be nice to not plug/take headset off. While I tested my old Logitechs and confirm no popping, don't think I can go back to that sound quality.

I understand hopefully Audeze will sort the issues as soon as possible. There are really few dynamic headsets with external amps to go with. Penrose/Mobius are just something else.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #4,840 of 7,191
Which Option (Heaphone Type) do u use?

I‘m switching between Atmos and dts on the Xbox.
I got the feeling the positioning on dts is much better (generic over ear) but it adds so much „space“ im feeling like in a big, empty church even when in a small room in game. Doesn’t seem right to me, even in the non spacious setting which still got better positioning as Atmos but also sounds just wrong.
This isn't exactly directly aimed at you, but I find comments like this aggravating. Mainly because people say it sounds wrong, but the thing is that they have this preconception that Atmos or DTS or whataver surround emulation is out there is supposed to not sound so far off from your headphone's inherent sound. Like it's just supposed to be your headphones but with more surround cues.

Well, virtual surround doesn't work that way. In essence, they're attempting to emulate a virtual room full of speakers. This means you have to think of the sound as just that. A room full of speakers. So if it sounds spacious and weird, it's because you're still trying to compare to your headphone's regular sound, instead of understanding that the headphone is now merely a bridge to that virtual room with virtual speakers. So you should be comparing things like DTS headphone X to an actual room with speakers.

If I sound like I'm venting, it's because I am. I'm tired of the Reddit neckbeard army hating on virtual surround, without understanding what it's attempting to do.

It's fine if people want to stick to plain stereo on their headphones. It's another when they try to directly compare with a technology that is attempting to do something COMPLETELY different.

The same issue Audeze had with the Mobius. Mobius uses Waves NX, and people were like OH, the headtracking 3D ruins sound. Ugh. Again, it's not supposed to sound like the Mobius as a headphone. It's the Mobius emulating a room full of speakers. There is a ginormous sound presentation difference, as it's MEANT to no longer sound like headphones. :rolling_eyes:

For once in your lives, close your eyes, and don't think of yourself as listening to headphones. Envision yourselves sitting down in a chair in a room surround by speakers. THAT is the sound.

Yes, I'm triggered. It's a topic so many people dismiss without takiing two miserable seconds trying to understand the technology.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #4,841 of 7,191
This isn't exactly directly aimed at you, but I find comments like this aggravating. Mainly because people say it sounds wrong, but the thing is that they have this preconception that Atmos or DTS or whataver surround emulation is out there is supposed to not sound so far off from your headphone's inherent sound. Like it's just supposed to be your headphones but with more surround cues.

Well, virtual surround doesn't work that way. In essence, they're attempting to emulate a virtual room full of speakers. This means you have to think of the sound as just that. A room full of speakers. So if it sounds spacious and weird, it's because you're still trying to compare to your headphone's regular sound, instead of understanding that the headphone is now merely a bridge to that virtual room with virtual speakers. So you should be comparing things like DTS headphone X to an actual room with speakers.

If I sound like I'm venting, it's because I am. I'm tired of the Reddit neckbeard army hating on virtual surround, without understanding what it's attempting to do.

It's fine if people want to stick to plain stereo on their headphones. It's another when they try to directly compare with a technology that is attempting to do something COMPLETELY different.

Anyways, back to the regularly scheduled program.

The same issue Audeze had with the Mobius. Mobius uses Waves NX, and people were like OH, the headtracking 3D ruins sound. Ugh. Again, it's not supposed to sound like the Mobius as a headphone. It's the Mobius emulating a room full of speakers. There is a ginormous sound presentation difference, as it's MEANT to.
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who also has a full surround sound system. Not everyone who makes a judgement on one form of virtual surround sound or the other comes from having no point of reference. I'm not talking about a theater in a box or soundbar + small satellites system either.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who games with my surround sound during the day or during single player and uses headphones with virtual surround sound to have voice chat + directional ques in multiplayer.
I'm sure I can't speak for everyone comparing virtual formats but for me personally I'm looking for the virtualizer that can best apply modifications to the stereo input to trigger psychoacoustical perceptions of 3D directionality while preserving as much of the sonic signature of the headphones in the process.
As of now on Xbox, and with these specific headphones I definitely think DTS:X better accomplishes that task than ATMOS. Not because ATMOS doesn't properly do the psychoacoustic thing, it actually does that quite well. Rather, I find that they make the sound seem more processed and artificial than DTS does to achieve their results.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,843 of 7,191
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who also has a full surround sound system. Not everyone who makes a judgement on one form of virtual surround sound or the other comes from having no point of reference. I'm not talking about a theater in a box or soundbar + small satellites system either.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who games with my surround sound during the day or during single player and uses headphones with virtual surround sound to have voice chat + directional ques.
I'm sure I can't speak for everyone comparing virtual formats but for me personally I'm looking for the virtualizer that can best apply modifications to the stereo input to trigger psychoacoustical perceptions of 3D directionality while preserving as much of the sonic signature of the headphones in the process.
As of now on Xbox, and with these specific headphones I definitely think DTS:X better accomplishes that task than ATMOS. Not because ATMOS doesn't properly do the psychoacoustic thing, it actually does that quite well. Rather, I find that they make the sound seem more processed and artificial than DTS does to achieve their results.
I do understand what you mean. I agree with you there, actually. Atmos for headphones lacks enough virtual room size that it doesn't portray virtual surround well enough. On the opposite end, DTS-X has too much reverb and makes things come across a bit too artificial sounding. What you need is a good middle ground. Might I suggest Creative SBX (though you'll need an extrenal device like the Creative G6). And on PC, I suggest Redscape Audio.

Both of these have granular settings that let you adjust ther room size, and both actually have a really great balance between sound quality preservation and psychoacoustics.

This is why I said it wasn't really aimed at you. I was venting in general because I do get a lot of people just writing them off for the reasons mentioned. Your post brought up some bad memories. Lol.

As for preserving as much of a headphone's signature, this is the problem with virtual surround. They just aren't unless you keep room size to an absolute minimum. The bigger the scope, the less of the headphone that remains. You have to sacrifice directionality and depth for headphone's inherent traits. You can't really have both. All you can get is what a good headphone can do to that virtual speaker room, but it's still no longer your headphone. Now it's just a great sounding bridge to that virtual speaker room, that may or may not sound better than other headphone-turned-bridges to those virtual speaker rooms.

The technology is utterly transformative.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,844 of 7,191
I do understand what you mean. I agree with you there, actually. Atmos for headphones lacks enough virtual room size that it doesn't portray virtual surround well enough. On the opposite end, DTS-X has too much reverb and makes things come across a bit too artificial sounding. What you need is a good middle ground. Might I suggest Creative SBX (though you'll need an extrenal device like the Creative G6). And on PC, I suggest Redscape Audio.

Both of these have granular settings that let you adjust ther room size, and both actually have a really great balance between sound quality preservation and psychoacoustics.

He can’t use g6 directly from Xbox sadly only ps5. I just wish waves nx was also on Xbox as an option so that using 3D mode with waves nx vss wouldn’t mess the audio like Atmos with 3D mode on Mobius. I still use 3D over atmos due to being superior in every aspect except I just want a similar sound positioning to Atmos using waves nx surround.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #4,845 of 7,191
I can't speak for Xbox use, since I haven't had an Xbox in years. I just know that Windows based ATmos for Headphone and DTS-X are two of my least favorite 3D audio implemetations, due to lack of customizability of virtual room size/reverb.

And he CAN use the G6. Assuming you send Dolby Digital bitstream to your TV, if your TV has optical out, with a dolby digital passthrough.

The G6 has an optical in and can decode Dolby Digital to SBX.

ASSUMING the Xbox can send Dolby Digital bitstream through the HDMI. If not, I think it can send Atmos, which IIRC has a Dolby Digital container as a fallback. I might be wrong here. The Dolby Digital light on my G6 has stopped working awhile ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back