Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #4,801 of 7,191
If you're experiencing issues please get in contact with support@audeze.com we want folks to be happy with product and were happy to extend return windows for the folks who were having wireless issues.

Also not entirely fair, since this thread is moving quite fast, we are doing our best to keep up. Regarding the crinkling, it is normal for planar magnetic drivers to respond to pressure with some crinkly noises, but if your drivers seem to be damaged, again, please get in touch with support@audeze.com so we can address the issue and rectify it if your unit is damaged.

Most of all - please reach out to us if you're having issues! Our support team can only help if you bring these issues to them.

Is it normal to have wireless range over 2.4ghz to PC at less than a small room? If I walk 20ft away around a corner they cut out. My old crappy Logitech G930 headset could go around my small 1200sqft home and even outside.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #4,802 of 7,191
Your crappy G930 do not require audio signals as strong as Penrose does. It should have 32 metres range tho you don’t wanna walk away from your console 20 ft where you use your headset which is designed for your console primarily. If there is a wall or any other wireless gadget on the way it will interfere with the connection resulting with crackling and possibly losing connection. If you are looking for usage in wider range a pair of Bluetooth headset would be a better choice or you can simply take off your headset and put it back on when you are closer to your dongle again.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #4,803 of 7,191
Your crappy G930 do not require audio signals as strong as Penrose does. It should have 32 metres range tho you don’t wanna walk away from your console 20 ft where you use your headset which is designed for your console primarily. If there is a wall or any other wireless gadget on the way it will interfere with the connection resulting with crackling and possibly losing connection. If you are looking for usage in wider range a pair of Bluetooth headset would be a better choice or you can simply take off your headset and put it back on when you are closer to your dongle again.

I'm a wireless engineer by trade who designs wifi and cellular systems. You don't know what you're talking about.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #4,806 of 7,191
Oh no you just need to mention Audeze if you wanna refer to them only. This is a forum which means everyone can respond to a comment posted on a thread. If you know what you’re talking about and have the ability to read you can easily see the guy tells you to connect with customer support. What kind of an answer do you expect ? Have you even read the previous comments regarding this matter? No because you’re only here to bash on someone smarty you. If you want a private convo either mention or contact customer support. My connection is great I think universe intentionally messed with yours lol

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #4,809 of 7,191
The dealer in the area finally got these in and I was able to log a solid few hours with them tonight (Penrose X w/ Xbox Series X. Will be trying them with my PS5 tomorrow).

So far I have no serious complaints and am absolutely loving these. Some of the minor gripes from this thread are certainly there (the odd quiet "whoosh" when there's little to no audio playing, the large steps in volume with each toggle of the wheel, etc.), but I've had no connection issues so far, which was my main worry going in. I have a fairly big head and did find them a tiny bit snug at first, but feel that they've already started to ease up a bit after a bit of stretching and use.

Most importantly, they sound fantastic. On Xbox I'd been using the Mobius plugged in to the controller, and on PS5 have been primarily running with the Arctis 7P. These understandably put the Steelseries to shame in the sound department and have the quality of the Mobius with the convenience of being untethered. Based on my early experience, they work brilliantly. Looking forward to Audeze managing to iterate on the Penrose with some further firmware updates (I await the app for Mac, improvements to volume control, possibly the ability to toggle EQ's via the headset, etc.).

Despite the long wait, kudos to Audeze for the great product and open communication!

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #4,810 of 7,191
The dealer in the area finally got these in and I was able to log a solid few hours with them tonight (Penrose X w/ Xbox Series X. Will be trying them with my PS5 tomorrow).

So far I have no serious complaints and am absolutely loving these. Some of the minor gripes from this thread are certainly there (the odd quiet "whoosh" when there's little to no audio playing, the large steps in volume with each toggle of the wheel, etc.), but I've had no connection issues so far, which was my main worry going in. I have a fairly big head and did find them a tiny bit snug at first, but feel that they've already started to ease up a bit after a bit of stretching and use.

Most importantly, they sound fantastic. On Xbox I'd been using the Mobius plugged in to the controller, and on PS5 have been primarily running with the Arctis 7P. These understandably put the Steelseries to shame in the sound department and have the quality of the Mobius with the convenience of being untethered. Based on my early experience, they work brilliantly. Looking forward to Audeze managing to iterate on the Penrose with some further firmware updates (I await the app for Mac, improvements to volume control, possibly the ability to toggle EQ's via the headset, etc.).

Despite the long wait, kudos to Audeze for the great product and open communication!

Did you have a chance to test the mic ? I’m gonna stick with my Mobius but I also have my eyes on Penrose mic. Currently waiting for it to be available in their stock. There are mixed reviews and also recordings. I’m a little confused. I think they fixed the mic with the latest update but it would be nice to hear the actual difference from someone who already has both. The ones I heard were legit podcast quality level recordings which grabbed my attention big time others were muffled and cranky here and there.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #4,812 of 7,191
Just to chip in with my (mostly positive) experience of the Penrose X.

My use case may be unique in that I connect them via the 2.4Ghz wireless dongle to my work laptop for Teams calls, connect them simultaneously to my PC (sits below desk) via bluetooth for music, YouTube, and PC gaming over lunch (Tarkov or Forza) and when console gaming connect them via 3.5mm to an XBox Series X controller (Xbox is ~3m away). Not the most sensible setup, I know, but it works well for what I need. I would prefer to use the wireless dongle on PC, but with the power-off timeout of bluetooth being so short I wouldn't be ready to answer Teams calls.

For all cases I am comparing this to either an ATH M50x or the DT990 Pro (250ohm). Sound is pretty much as I would expect; better than the M50x in every way for me, but overall I still prefer the 990s. I also prefer the 990s for gaming, but I reckon that's something i'll get used to. Right now, having used the 990s for FPS gaming for well over a year I am used to sound positioning. The Penrose, being clsed back, are different but I am confident I will get used to it. No surprises here for me.

As for the Penrose themselves I don't find the clamping force to be too strong. They clamp harder than all my other headphones, but still don't cause me issues, discomfort or anything. The headband padding is an issue, and I guess it's emphasised by the weight of the headphones. I do wear these for most of an 8-hour working day and occasionally have to adjust them so the top of my head doesn't get too much pressure. I will try some of the solutions in this thread to help with that, but it is not a deal breaker. I have an Android phone, buit have not connected them to that to try out the app. I use the desktop app, as that's where I am all day. What I generally do is have a day where they charge while I work (so kinda wired), and then a day wireless. Seems to work for me.

Connectivity-wise I have had very little issues. Obviously I will not be affected by the range issues many here are having, as my laptop is 1-2ft from my head, and the bluetooth 5.0 dongle is plugged in to the front of my PC that sits below my desk. I can easily walk to answer my door (~5m) with no drop out from either the 2.4Ghz or Bluetooth connections. I don't have many wireless devices in my office. Laptop and PC both connect to a WiFi extender disc I have in the office, as does the Xbox. It's located in the far corner diagonally away from my desk. The one issue I have had is intermittent Bluetooth drop-outs of milliseconds. Unplugging/replugging the Bluetooth dongle and cycling the Penrose to Aux then back to wireless & bluetooth fixes this. It's only happened a handful of times in the month i've had the set, and I don't know if it is headset or dongle related.

All things considered, i'm more than happy with my purchase.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #4,813 of 7,191
We did a video on discord settings, linked below. My recommendation is to set the sensitivity manually for the gate/noise filter - around 70dB give or take should work right. I also like the Opus noise filtering better than discord's stock noise filtering.

Discord Settings

The latest firmware had a specific update regarding the noise floor/wooshing noise. If you're still having issues, please contact support.

Bluetooth and Wireless volume mix are being addressed, and will come out in a firmware fix.

Not sure about the channel balance, but I suspect that's a support related issue, I'd contact them.

Sorry if these things haven't been updated on! We do hear the feedback and are working on it, but as mentioned previously we're a small team and firmware and other fixes don't happen overnight unfortunately. I'll do my best to try to keep you guys updated more. I apologize for the lack of communication, and there wasn't anything malicious related to the drop off in communication. We are aware of these issues, we do hear you all and are working to get them fixed so your headphones work as advertised and so that you're happy with them! The official Audeze account is often used by our CEO Sankar, who sometimes gets very busy trying to fix aforementioned issues.

Please DM me if you have specific feedback and I will happily bring it back to the team!

Hi, been very happy with my Penrose X since I received them. Hardware I haven’t had any issues others have mentioned in here (lucky I guess?). Software is still a little lacking and I wondered if you could give us a timeframe for any updates to the app on PC or firmware for the headset (really hope you give the option to swap game/chat mix over mic gain)?
Thanks,

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #4,814 of 7,191
I am also all MacOS and iOS. I happen to have VMware Fusion/Windows 10 installed on my macbook pro, so I can use the windows version of the Audeze software to adjust the headphone settings.

On audeze site they advise against making updates on virtualized windows, it could create problems. they say just like this:
"Please note that you should NOT install the firmware using a" Virtual Machine, "such as Windows running in a Linux environment, etc. It must be done on a true Windows machine, otherwise the installation may cause problems that would require the headphones to be shipped to us for reprogramming. "

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #4,815 of 7,191
I paid for both the Atmos and DTS:X apps on Xbox Series X and I find that DTS:X creates a fuller sound and has lower latency than Atmos. Try out the two week trial of it. Just remember to click the option that sets DTS:X to spacious, it really helps the directionality for multiplayer.

sorry for the stupid question but for me it is a new thing.
If I purchase the Dolby application from the xbox store to activate the dolby atmos or the DTS application for DTS:X, then all the audio is reworked with that codec or to enjoy that quality whether I am using (throught relative app Atmos or DTS) that game or movie (netflix) must support that codec?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back