Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #4,816 of 7,191
Just remember to click the option that sets DTS:X to spacious, it really helps the directionality for multiplayer.

Which Option (Heaphone Type) do u use?

I‘m switching between Atmos and dts on the Xbox.
I got the feeling the positioning on dts is much better (generic over ear) but it adds so much „space“ im feeling like in a big, empty church even when in a small room in game. Doesn’t seem right to me, even in the non spacious setting which still got better positioning as Atmos but also sounds just wrong.

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #4,817 of 7,191
Did you have a chance to test the mic ? I’m gonna stick with my Mobius but I also have my eyes on Penrose mic. Currently waiting for it to be available in their stock. There are mixed reviews and also recordings. I’m a little confused. I think they fixed the mic with the latest update but it would be nice to hear the actual difference from someone who already has both. The ones I heard were legit podcast quality level recordings which grabbed my attention big time others were muffled and cranky here and there.
I don't have the Mobius mic to compare, but my friends commented that my Vmoda Boom Mic Pro sounded better. Not to the point of the Penrose being trash, just that it was better to them.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #4,818 of 7,191
Did you have a chance to test the mic ? I’m gonna stick with my Mobius but I also have my eyes on Penrose mic. Currently waiting for it to be available in their stock. There are mixed reviews and also recordings. I’m a little confused. I think they fixed the mic with the latest update but it would be nice to hear the actual difference from someone who already has both. The ones I heard were legit podcast quality level recordings which grabbed my attention big time others were muffled and cranky here and there.

I haven't played around very much on the mic side of things yet. As a quick and dirty test I recorded a voice memo with each on my iPhone, and the Penrose seemed to sound a bit warmer and less distorted to me than the Mobius. On XB, I recorded a voice message with each and to me the Mobius sounded a bit better on there, so I don't really know. I haven't had anyone listen to me in a party chat or in-game on any of the consoles yet, though a friend with Penrose X sounded decent enough to me in a party a few weeks back.

I definitely want to have someone listen to me at some point soon to get some more mic impressions, and I'll probably also record some game footage with mic recording enabled to see how that sounds also.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #4,819 of 7,191
sorry for the stupid question but for me it is a new thing.
If I purchase the Dolby application from the xbox store to activate the dolby atmos or the DTS application for DTS:X, then all the audio is reworked with that codec or to enjoy that quality whether I am using (throught relative app Atmos or DTS) that game or movie (netflix) must support that codec?

Once you've purchased either codec and switched it on via "Volume and audio output" in the Xbox's settings, it remains on and will virtualize a surround sound effect in any game you're playing. My understanding is that it's best to use the "surround sound" audio setting within any individual game's settings if it's an option as well, if you have DTS/Dolby/Sonic turned on.

Some games have been mastered with these codecs in mind (Gears 4 and 5 in the case of Dolby Atmos comes to mind), but it does work outside of those games as well. It's basically the software doing what the "surround sound" button does on something like an Astro mixamp, but to my ear does a far better job. With the codecs on XB, you don't get any of the warbly, muffled, distorted bass that some surround solutions tend to produce (ahem, 3D Audio on PS5). Windows Sonic isn't entirely dissimilar and can be tested for free to sort of see how it works.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #4,820 of 7,191
This question has been answered numerous times in this thread by Audeze. Their choices were range or audio quality, and they chose quality (bandwidth).

Yet steelseries offers lossless much further and much more stable on a dongle that is 1/3 the size of Penrose.

I would love the option to choose between more stability at a cost to some latency

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #4,821 of 7,191
Yet steelseries offers lossless much further and much more stable on a dongle that is 1/3 the size of Penrose.

I would love the option to choose between more stability at a cost to some latency
In my back and forth with Audeze CS, it does sound like they are looking into tweaking this. They are aware that the stability is worse than competing headsets that also promote lossless wireless bandwidth.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #4,822 of 7,191
Do you have any suggestions on which preset to use or how to set the equalizer for:
- movies / TV series
- music (ambient, rock, electronic)
I downloaded from the audeeze site the preset package derived from Mobius, and at the moment I set "warm" as preset

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,823 of 7,191
In my back and forth with Audeze CS, it does sound like they are looking into tweaking this. They are aware that the stability is worse than competing headsets that also promote lossless wireless bandwidth.

That's good to hear. I'd love a slider for quality <-> range. I'd definitely reduce quality at times to have more range. My old Logitech G930 headset could be used to walk around the house and front and back yard and still be on calls/discord.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #4,824 of 7,191
Do you have any suggestions on which preset to use or how to set the equalizer for:
- movies / TV series
- music (ambient, rock, electronic)
I downloaded from the audeeze site the preset package derived from Mobius, and at the moment I set "warm" as preset

For rock we live I find the best presets to be flat and/or default. I find warm is good for edm pop alternative electronic genres as well as movies. And maybe I’m gonna say RPG. I’m not quite sure what it does but it sounds natural in movies and tv series to me.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4,825 of 7,191
For rock we live I find the best presets to be flat and/or default. I find warm is good for edm pop alternative electronic genres as well as movies. And maybe I’m gonna say RPG. I’m not quite sure what it does but it sounds natural in movies and tv series to me.
I also find warm or RPG good for most general content. Default is really good though so it's really up to preferences. I listened to frequency sweeps on Default and I really only noticed large spikes in volume around 8khz and 12khz. I generally use those three presets unless I'm playing competitive multiplayer - in which case I use footsteps.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,826 of 7,191
We did a video on discord settings, linked below. My recommendation is to set the sensitivity manually for the gate/noise filter - around 70dB give or take should work right. I also like the Opus noise filtering better than discord's stock noise filtering.

Discord Settings

The latest firmware had a specific update regarding the noise floor/wooshing noise. If you're still having issues, please contact support.

Bluetooth and Wireless volume mix are being addressed, and will come out in a firmware fix.

Not sure about the channel balance, but I suspect that's a support related issue, I'd contact them.

Sorry if these things haven't been updated on! We do hear the feedback and are working on it, but as mentioned previously we're a small team and firmware and other fixes don't happen overnight unfortunately. I'll do my best to try to keep you guys updated more. I apologize for the lack of communication, and there wasn't anything malicious related to the drop off in communication. We are aware of these issues, we do hear you all and are working to get them fixed so your headphones work as advertised and so that you're happy with them! The official Audeze account is often used by our CEO Sankar, who sometimes gets very busy trying to fix aforementioned issues.

Please DM me if you have specific feedback and I will happily bring it back to the team!

Hi

Thank you for dropping in to lend your views. it is appreciated.
I also appreciate a DM may work but the below points have been mentioned by a few people so I would appreciate if you could relay this. Note that I did also mention to UK support but they couldn't say if this is being looked into.

1) headset powers-down (frequently) even if unused for as little as 15 minutes. Audeze suggestion is a noise-generator app to play a sub-tone continuously but this doesn't always work. (I've had days when the headset would stay connected for the whole day, other days like today it disconnected after every call)
Btw, headset disconnected just now in the time it took to write this note.

2) when reconnecting microphone defaults everything to "off". The hardware switch is on so it's not that.
Screenshot to show what I mean.
Whereas for old windows this setting is core setting for the user, but windows 10 hides this 4 to 6 mouse-clicks away. It is infuriating.

Thanks
Chris

1611781919874.png

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,827 of 7,191
oh and the instructions here aren't correct I believe. Apologies if this is ONLY for Discor but at least that's what I have found when for example using Skype.
Setup tips for using the Penrose mic with Discord – Audeze Customer Service Center (zendesk.com)

You can pick "headset earphone" as the default comm communication device if you also want to use the headset.
But I find that you cannot pick the "speaker" which is the higher-quality default communication device and "headset microphone" as the default microphone device.

Screenshot below showing end result

1611783050792.png
1611783058927.png

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #4,828 of 7,191
1611795323620.png

i only have one listed on my sound, i change the name forgot what the default was
i dont think the penrose has 2 audio sound card built in for wifi 2.4GHz like the arctis that you can do chatmix on the wifi (so i was wondering why you have 2 penrose detected, is the other one 2.4GHZ and the other one Bluetooth both connected the same time on the windows OS?)

also i had a friend who installed and used a lot of usb speakers and headset before and installed a lot of things like drivers and software to control dsp and other streaming stuff to control sound and other and one time she bought a logitech speakers that uses the anolog output from the motherboard and she had a very high noisefloor which is super high not normal you would think it was grounded, i ask her to uninstall everything related to sound and reinstall only the basic and update all the drivers and if not reformat the operating system to see if it will fix the problem, after uninstalling and only installing the current basic driver for the onboard realtek soundcard , the noise was fix didnt need to reformat

so i think if might be a windows driver issue or some dsp software where everyhting was conflicting already

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #4,829 of 7,191
@Audeze

I still haven't received the preordered Penrose X in Europe that supposedly were sent out at the begining of December, what's the deal...? I mean I preordered at the begining of September (!!!) and some people in the US who bought in like November already got their pairs. Do you even care about international suppliers..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back