Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #4,786 of 7,191
I paid for both the Atmos and DTS:X apps on Xbox Series X and I find that DTS:X creates a fuller sound and has lower latency than Atmos. Try out the two week trial of it. Just remember to click the option that sets DTS:X to spacious, it really helps the directionality for multiplayer.
Is there an option on atmos like with Dts? The spacious option I mean.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #4,788 of 7,191
Is there an option on atmos like with Dts? The spacious option I mean.
Regarding Atmos, I don't think so, but you get an EQ to play with to try and focus the sound how you need to. DTS doesn't give you as many configuration settings, but it sounds correct in its default state sonically. The only one you do get is the spacious option. I'm not certain, but to my ear it seems the spacious setting increases the intensity of DTS:X sound processing done to simulate surround sound spatial object movement. The default setting doesn't create as wide of a Soundstage. Atmos can probably be fine tuned to a greater degree acoustically though since it gives you more customization options, but it really adds a lot of processing delay. I feel things are noticeably less latent in DTS:X mode and that is a big +1 over Atmos to me. You may be less sensitive to that than I am so it might be irrelevant to you.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #4,789 of 7,191
I paid for both the Atmos and DTS:X apps on Xbox Series X and I find that DTS:X creates a fuller sound and has lower latency than Atmos. Try out the two week trial of it. Just remember to click the option that sets DTS:X to spacious, it really helps the directionality for multiplayer.

I have a lot of time with both and also tend to prefer DTS. Both are miles ahead of the 3D audio on PS5 for retaining quality but adding a bit more directionality, even for games not specifically engineered with them in mind.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #4,791 of 7,191
I'm in the same boat basically, just lucky enough to have not ordered the Penrose X yet. Having read this thread I feel there's far too many issues with these headphones and far too many people experiencing them. Too big a risk. I too am turning my attention to the Arctis Pro. However, there's also the Epos Sennheiser GSP 670 that's got my attention. Still in doubt.
They are the exact same two I came down to in my alternatives. I went the Arctis first because of the battery system, the reported better range for both BT and Wireless and IMO a more understated look. The GSP670's apparently sound better (no surprise) but beyond the stuff I just mentioned, the look of them was a negative to me. I do have reservations about the Arctis range on two fronts, one is durability with lots of users reporting plastic breaking over time on the 9x range and the volume wheel sticks out and apparently it can be quite easy to accidentally roll the volume up or down when you go to touch the headset. The GSP670's are also slightly cheaper. I purchased the Arctis from an Aus supplier who offers a 45 day piece of mind return so thought it was worth a shot.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,792 of 7,191
Regarding Atmos, I don't think so, but you get an EQ to play with to try and focus the sound how you need to. DTS doesn't give you as many configuration settings, but it sounds correct in its default state sonically. The only one you do get is the spacious option. I'm not certain, but to my ear it seems the spacious setting increases the intensity of DTS:X sound processing done to simulate surround sound spatial object movement. The default setting doesn't create as wide of a Soundstage. Atmos can probably be fine tuned to a greater degree acoustically though since it gives you more customization options, but it really adds a lot of processing delay. I feel things are noticeably less latent in DTS:X mode and that is a big +1 over Atmos to me. You may be less sensitive to that than I am so it might be irrelevant to you.

I'm using ATMOS with the Penrose and don't have any delay.

It's my understanding in games that are designed for Atmos there is object-based data that is used to place sounds precisely in the sound field. DTS does not read this data, so it doesn't know where those objects are meant to be placed

Do the games have separately encoded data that is DTS:X specific?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,793 of 7,191
I again have to stress if you’re ok with Bluetooth or going wired there is no better choice than Mobius. The level of immersion you get with these are incredible. You don’t lose anything over Penrose except a wireless dongle but you get a very good implementation of 7.1 vss which basically makes you feel like you’re in the middle of an IMAX movie at the theatre when watching a movie. I even personally find Dolby atmos off 3D mode on giving me a more accurate surround experience than vice versa at 2 channel on Xbox! The versatility and the quality you get with these are crazy. Don’t sleep on it imho. Comparing them with hd6xx s 660s or AKG K 702 712 I can understand but Arctis series Astros no not even close.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #4,794 of 7,191
They are out of the return window for majority of people. And since then they have been mostly absent, I'd be surprised if they show up and say anything at all.

If you're experiencing issues please get in contact with support@audeze.com we want folks to be happy with product and were happy to extend return windows for the folks who were having wireless issues.

Also not entirely fair, since this thread is moving quite fast, we are doing our best to keep up. Regarding the crinkling, it is normal for planar magnetic drivers to respond to pressure with some crinkly noises, but if your drivers seem to be damaged, again, please get in touch with support@audeze.com so we can address the issue and rectify it if your unit is damaged.

Most of all - please reach out to us if you're having issues! Our support team can only help if you bring these issues to them.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #4,795 of 7,191
I think that is a ground loop issue, and won't be solved through firmware. Try plugging into different locations. Directly into the USB port on the console, Into a power strip, Into the wall outlet. You can also plug it into a portable battery, the kind you would use to charge a phone.

All good suggestions, sometimes plugging everything into the SAME outlet if its grounded can help too. Play around with grounding configurations here. Penrose is internally balanced so it should be less susceptible to this, but isn't immune to ground loops.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #4,796 of 7,191
If you're experiencing issues please get in contact with support@audeze.com we want folks to be happy with product and were happy to extend return windows for the folks who were having wireless issues.

Also not entirely fair, since this thread is moving quite fast, we are doing our best to keep up. Regarding the crinkling, it is normal for planar magnetic drivers to respond to pressure with some crinkly noises, but if your drivers seem to be damaged, again, please get in touch with support@audeze.com so we can address the issue and rectify it if your unit is damaged.

Most of all - please reach out to us if you're having issues! Our support team can only help if you bring these issues to them.

I'd argue the thread is moving slower now then when Penrose first dropped, but my reasoning is sound. Look at the recent postings of the Audeze account. Almost every day since Penrose dropped up to Jan 7th there was constant replies and questions answered, and not a peep since. So my comment stands, once we got beyond the 30 day window communication has dropped off significantly.

Awhile ago we were told discordc settings would be looked into and we would be provided with best settings to work with penrose mic. I had seen some user suggestions but nothing from Audeze.

Bluetooth and wireless volume mix is still a problem

Connection stability is still a problem

Noise floor/whooshing still a problem for some

Speaker imbalance a problem for some

Some of these we were told are being looked into, I'm not asking for a fix by now but an update on where things stand would be nice.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4,797 of 7,191
I'd argue the thread is moving slower now then when Penrose first dropped, but my reasoning is sound. Look at the recent postings of the Audeze account. Almost every day since Penrose dropped up to Jan 7th, and not a peep since. So my comment stands, once we got beyond the 30 day window communication has dropped off significantly.

You can contact them through customer support very efficiently. In my experience throughout the decision making process to after sale service was great. Andrew answered all my questions in less than 24 hours and they’re a small company it’s not like they have branches all around the globe. Even with the limited sources they have I think they’re doing a great job considering they don’t even have to be here on this platform. It’s a blessing. I’m gonna go further and say they also continue supporting their customers after warranties are over. Please check other threads too. I haven’t seen a single person complaining about the customer service of this company

Edit: You can always return your product there are some issues with it but not all the customers having the same issues some are quite happy with everything overall. A replacement can also be requested. Mobius was released in 2018 and still is getting improvements over updates. They even added ASIO driver support to them lately. When there is an issue with a product it takes time to come up with a definitive solution but you as a costumer always have options whether you trust the company or not and make a decision. Audeze don’t release a new line up every year. For example hyperx hasn’t done anything for orbit s since its release or they offer the same after sale service options as Audeze. When Audeze puts a model on the market I know they will continue supporting it. However complaining about the same issues over and over won’t bring any good to anyone or anything.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,798 of 7,191
You can contact them through customer support very efficiently. In my experience throughout the decision making process to after sale service was great. Andrew answered all my questions in less than 24 hours and they’re a small company it’s not like they have branches all around the globe. Even with the limited sources they have I think they’re doing a great job considering they don’t even have to be here on this platform. It’s a blessing. I’m gonna go further and say they also continue supporting their customers after warranties are over. Please check other threads too. I haven’t seen a single person complaining about the customer service of this company

Agreed: I’m also happy with the support so far and think they are doing a good job balancing between handling support requests and occasionally reading this thread and responding. My return happened after my 30 day window by a few days and they didn’t even mention it. My replacement set is in the works and hopefully they can replicate the issue and improve the phones for all.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #4,799 of 7,191
I'd argue the thread is moving slower now then when Penrose first dropped, but my reasoning is sound. Look at the recent postings of the Audeze account. Almost every day since Penrose dropped up to Jan 7th there was constant replies and questions answered, and not a peep since. So my comment stands, once we got beyond the 30 day window communication has dropped off significantly.

Awhile ago we were told discordc settings would be looked into and we would be provided with best settings to work with penrose mic. I had seen some user suggestions but nothing from Audeze.

Bluetooth and wireless volume mix is still a problem

Connection stability is still a problem

Noise floor/whooshing still a problem for some

Speaker imbalance a problem for some

Some of these we were told are being looked into, I'm not asking for a fix by now but an update on where things stand would be nice.

We did a video on discord settings, linked below. My recommendation is to set the sensitivity manually for the gate/noise filter - around 70dB give or take should work right. I also like the Opus noise filtering better than discord's stock noise filtering.

Discord Settings

The latest firmware had a specific update regarding the noise floor/wooshing noise. If you're still having issues, please contact support.

Bluetooth and Wireless volume mix are being addressed, and will come out in a firmware fix.

Not sure about the channel balance, but I suspect that's a support related issue, I'd contact them.

Sorry if these things haven't been updated on! We do hear the feedback and are working on it, but as mentioned previously we're a small team and firmware and other fixes don't happen overnight unfortunately. I'll do my best to try to keep you guys updated more. I apologize for the lack of communication, and there wasn't anything malicious related to the drop off in communication. We are aware of these issues, we do hear you all and are working to get them fixed so your headphones work as advertised and so that you're happy with them! The official Audeze account is often used by our CEO Sankar, who sometimes gets very busy trying to fix aforementioned issues.

Please DM me if you have specific feedback and I will happily bring it back to the team!

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #4,800 of 7,191
[QUOTE =
My Penrose X just arrived. I live in Italy
At the moment I have only connected them in bluetooth and the sound is phenomenal. I have never heard such quality via bluetooth and i am only using spotify .. maybe i will try with tidal
I also noticed the "background noise" when there is nothing playing, for me it is not such an annoying problem.
tonight I'll try to connect them to the xbox.. in Xbox settings > output audio I have seen there is the headset option with:
Stereo without compression
Windows sonic for headset
Dolby atmos for headphones
DTS headphone:X
Which Should I choose?

At this moment I am more than satisfied, also for the price for which I paid them, 259 € (pre-order discount)

If I only have a macbook and an iPhone, do I have any options to configure them?
Otherwise how should I do with Windows pc? how can i check which firmware version is installed?
Hi, can I ask you where you bought them? My orders in November did not arrive ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back