Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 25, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #4,771 of 7,191
I've had the pro wireless for about a month now and I'm extremely pleased with them. When I was waiting on delivery I found out about the Penrose and was second guessing myself after all the conflicting reviews on the pros. I think they sound great. The tempest 3d lessens the strong bass and treble so you hear the 3d part better. I switch back and forth from usb 3d to optical from TV and the dts surround sound. Most of the time the dts wins. I havent noticed the hissing sound people say when on the menu screen. Just make sure you put them on and off by the headband so hopefully they don't crack at the hinge. Think after all the bugs get worked out il try the Penrose in a year unless go on sale in meantime. I dont think you'll be sorry. My first gaming headset but no complaints yet.
Thanks Jonnymc1, that's encouraging and what I wanted to learn as I personally and historically would not have associated the brand Steel Series with great audio quality.

I also agree with you on the Penrose, I would probably come back and try again once they release their next revision where they have adequately resolved all the current issues and this latest build quality issue, the sound is that good.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #4,773 of 7,191
I've had the pro wireless for about a month now and I'm extremely pleased with them. When I was waiting on delivery I found out about the Penrose and was second guessing myself after all the conflicting reviews on the pros. I think they sound great. The tempest 3d lessens the strong bass and treble so you hear the 3d part better. I switch back and forth from usb 3d to optical from TV and the dts surround sound. Most of the time the dts wins. I havent noticed the hissing sound people say when on the menu screen. Just make sure you put them on and off by the headband so hopefully they don't crack at the hinge. Think after all the bugs get worked out il try the Penrose in a year unless go on sale in meantime. I dont think you'll be sorry. My first gaming headset but no complaints yet.
Put them on by the headband what do you mean? You are referring to the pro wireless right?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #4,774 of 7,191
So I took mine off. Clean as a whistle. So is this Blown or punctured that is the question? Mine has a black acoustic gauze over the top of the plastic "fins" / wave guides, also untouched. Is yours?

I read over on Reddit (Penrose mega-thread) that the "diaphragm" of planar headsets can rupture if you push the ear cups towards your ear as it creates a seal.

Could this be what is happening here?

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #4,776 of 7,191
I know its probably not right, but I take comfort in knowing that its not just my pair that have had this issue :) I have requested a refund from my retailer and have ordered a pair of Steel Series Arctic pro wireless that were on sale here in Aus, they have simultaneous BT and Wireless, apparently great range, a two battery system and apparently are much more comfortable. Expecting the audio quality not to be quite up to scratch vs the Penrose but I will make that sacrifice for all the rest of the upsides I think.
I'm in the same boat basically, just lucky enough to have not ordered the Penrose X yet. Having read this thread I feel there's far too many issues with these headphones and far too many people experiencing them. Too big a risk. I too am turning my attention to the Arctis Pro. However, there's also the Epos Sennheiser GSP 670 that's got my attention. Still in doubt.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #4,780 of 7,191
Hi, I have had the penrose for about a month.
Not an audiophile but I love the sound quality and "spaciousness". I use them with the "warm" preset.

Recently I have started to get the "whoosh" on the left ear cup when nothing is playing. It sounds like slowly opening a bottle of a carbonated drink. Do you have any idea why or is there way to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #4,781 of 7,191
My Penrose X just arrived. I live in Italy
At the moment I have only connected them in bluetooth and the sound is phenomenal. I have never heard such quality via bluetooth and i am only using spotify .. maybe i will try with tidal
I also noticed the "background noise" when there is nothing playing, for me it is not such an annoying problem.
tonight I'll try to connect them to the xbox.. in Xbox settings > output audio I have seen there is the headset option with:
Stereo without compression
Windows sonic for headset
Dolby atmos for headphones
DTS headphone:X
Which Should I choose?

At this moment I am more than satisfied, also for the price for which I paid them, 259 € (pre-order discount)

If I only have a macbook and an iPhone, do I have any options to configure them?
Otherwise how should I do with Windows pc? how can i check which firmware version is installed?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #4,782 of 7,191
My Penrose X just arrived. I live in Italy
At the moment I have only connected them in bluetooth and the sound is phenomenal. I have never heard such quality via bluetooth and i am only using spotify .. maybe i will try with tidal
I also noticed the "background noise" when there is nothing playing, for me it is not such an annoying problem.
tonight I'll try to connect them to the xbox.. in Xbox settings > output audio I have seen there is the headset option with:
Stereo without compression
Windows sonic for headset
Dolby atmos for headphones
DTS headphone:X
Which Should I choose?

At this moment I am more than satisfied, also for the price for which I paid them, 259 € (pre-order discount)

If I only have a macbook and an iPhone, do I have any options to configure them?
Otherwise how should I do with Windows pc? how can i check which firmware version is installed?

Dolby atmos - a good choice!

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #4,783 of 7,191
Dolby atmos - a good choice!

I paid for the Dolby Atmos upgrade on the xbox and think it's a worthy upgrade for surround sound in gaming.

I am also all MacOS and iOS. I happen to have VMware Fusion/Windows 10 installed on my macbook pro, so I can use the windows version of the Audeze software to adjust the headphone settings. It's pretty easy to do. I like the "footsteps" preset for warzone. It makes the sound less explosive. It's not good for music though. So I have to launch windows to switch it back and forth.

I think at the moment you cannot turn on/off the sidetone or the EQ presets without connecting to an external device.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #4,784 of 7,191
I paid for the Dolby Atmos upgrade on the xbox and think it's a worthy upgrade for surround sound in gaming.

I am also all MacOS and iOS. I happen to have VMware Fusion/Windows 10 installed on my macbook pro, so I can use the windows version of the Audeze software to adjust the headphone settings. It's pretty easy to do. I like the "footsteps" preset for warzone. It makes the sound less explosive. It's not good for music though. So I have to launch windows to switch it back and forth.

I think at the moment you cannot turn on/off the sidetone or the EQ presets without connecting to an external device.
[/Цитата]
I am adjusting the equalizer in Dolby Atmos software. 2, 5, 0, -3, -1, 1, 3, 0, -1, 1 / CoD MW, WARZONE /

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #4,785 of 7,191

I paid for both the Atmos and DTS:X apps on Xbox Series X and I find that DTS:X creates a fuller sound and has lower latency than Atmos. Try out the two week trial of it. Just remember to click the option that sets DTS:X to spacious, it really helps the directionality for multiplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back