Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4,652 of 7,191
Nope, this isn't the solution. It seems to be something to do with the automatic power down solution. This is so bad. Another 20 minutes wasted trying to connect to my MacBook and no joy. @Audeze please can you advise on this as the big selling point of these wireless headphones, is that they work wirelessly. But they do not. When they power themselves down they struggle to connect again. 20 minutes now I'm turning them off and on again in many combinations, taking the dongle out, switching to xbox and pc, turning the headphones on and off again, switching input mode. Nothing is working. It's driving me mad!

edit. it's now 30 minutes since I last managed to connect these.

edit 2: 38 minutes to get them to connect again. I've raised a support ticket to find out if I can return these if this is the intended behaviour.

Is this the same as I find in Windows? Check your sound control panel for the headset input volume. It defaults to off (in Windows) even if headset switch physically on. Very annoying. (+ See)above

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #4,653 of 7,191
I gave up for Xbox too.
people can’t hear me, sound is so muffled.
It makes me sad because I really enjoyed the sound of this headset. But it is supposed to be a mic too.

Did you follow the instructions for setup on the FAQ website? Also worth plugging into a pic e to get the mic setup correctly. I've noticed sometime the mic sensitivity goes to zero (the physical wheel). Two clicks up and it's then fine.

FYI on Windows my setup is :

Microphone with the directional do we bit behind the foam towards my mouth, down below my mailing but pointing up. (Like the pictures on the Audeze website)
Side-tone on (so I can hear a bit of myself. Also a quick note across the mic is enough to tell me it's physically working)
Window mic level 40
Physical mic level, whatever it needs to be but I have it at around 2 clicks up. Typically ends up at 100 or 85 if I look at it in the Audeze app.
Settings above because they say the physical wheel clearly affects the hardware side-tone more than the headphone audio volume setting on pc itself)
Headset volume 10. Headphone volume 15. (For some reason I find the headset volume louder or perhaps just grating due to lower bitrate).

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #4,654 of 7,191
Truthfully I find it more annoying that I have to go into the sound control panel each morning to enable the microphone. That seems to be a driver error or an unnecessary decision for privacy reasons.
Interestingly, I have never got this issue. So long as the USB driver installs correctly both MIC and speaker engage automatically. Perhaps you have other mics that are set to default instead or forcing control?

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #4,655 of 7,191
Did you follow the instructions for setup on the FAQ website? Also worth plugging into a pic e to get the mic setup correctly. I've noticed sometime the mic sensitivity goes to zero (the physical wheel). Two clicks up and it's then fine.
I tried everything, updated and settings on pc. Last time I tried it on pc, I heard a lot of cracklings.
1 hour later it was in a box for refund.
Also, I bought it as a wireless headset for Xbox, I didn’t wanted to plug it to pc every time I need to change settings.

I’m looking for a new headset now, probably an a50.

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #4,656 of 7,191
Guys, I have/had problem with unbalanced channels. I cannot send them to audeze so I made a solution by myself.

I Just add a piece of fabric between the speaker and the "isolation thing". Depending on the specific fabric material/thickness the sound changes a lot. As in one òf the pictures, I tried a few, I even got the headphone balanced to the right side a lot, the last material with many holes is the best I could get untill now for my left side( louder side );

IMG_20210105_135217-min.jpg
IMG_20210105_140910-min.jpg
IMG_20210106_173956-min.jpg
IMG_20210119_205938-min.jpg

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #4,657 of 7,191
I must have been kissed by the Audeze fairies.

With the exception of very low level white noise (which I believe that every wireless headphone will have to some degree), I'm not experiencing any of the issues reported here.

The 2.4 connection particularly has been rock solid for my needs (4m straight line to PS5).

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #4,658 of 7,191

With the exception of very low level white noise (which I believe that every wireless headphone will have to some degree), I'm not experiencing any of the issues reported here.

The 2.4 connection particularly has been rock solid for my needs (4m straight line to PS5).
I haven’t had any issues either

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #4,659 of 7,191

I've had two sets of Penrose (sent the first one back before realising sound-wise there wasn't anything more suitable) and have had no connection issues with either. Range hasn't been great though on either set - the Astro A50 I have massively outperform in this area.

I do regret sending the first pair back though - the white noise on this pair is dramatically higher than on the first - the noise on these with sidetone off is much louder/more noticeable than the other pair were with sidetone on. My first pair were near enough silent with sidetone off - this set are really off putting. Not sure how I feel about this yet - it's pretty intrusive this time around :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #4,660 of 7,191
I've had two sets of Penrose (sent the first one back before realising sound-wise there wasn't anything more suitable) and have had no connection issues with either. Range hasn't been great though on either set - the Astro A50 I have massively outperform in this area.

I do regret sending the first pair back though - the white noise on this pair is dramatically higher than on the first - the noise on these with sidetone off is much louder/more noticeable than the other pair were with sidetone on. My first pair were near enough silent with sidetone off - this set are really off putting. Not sure how I feel about this yet - it's pretty intrusive this time around :frowning2:
If they're not up to scratch right off the bat, send them back. Quality control is their responsibility, not yours.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #4,662 of 7,191
No issues with my Penrose on Teams calls at work computer either. So in my case I haven’t encountered any problems yet.

Gaming on PS5 and conference calls on PC work well and sound great via wireless dongle. Music sounds very good streamed from phone via bluetooth.

I wouldn’t replace my desktop rig with Penrose, but it fills the purpose I bought it for and surpassed my expectations.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Penrose, with the note that numerous of people seem to have some issues with it, but I haven’t encountered any myself.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,663 of 7,191
No issues with my Penrose on Teams calls at work computer either. So in my case I haven’t encountered any problems yet.

Gaming on PS5 and conference calls on PC work well and sound great via wireless dongle. Music sounds very good streamed from phone via bluetooth.

I wouldn’t replace my desktop rig with Penrose, but it fills the purpose I bought it for and surpassed my expectations.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Penrose.

Exactly as you said!

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,665 of 7,191
Sorry for the bad english.
Razer has released an Xbox app that lets you control your headset from a game console.
Audeze plans to release an app for Xbox?

No, nothaning has been announced for Xbox.
There is a Windows EQ app and an update to the Mac app coming as well.
It's expected that we will be able to save presets to the phones to use with consoles in the future as I understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back