Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 19, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #4,638 of 7,191
I have been following this thread since inception also I have been following @Audeze and it seems since the 8th Jan they have gone dead silent, going from being very engaged to nothing....I hope this means they have been 'heads down' fixing the remaining issues for this headset and not that we have broken them! :)

I also quite often get background hiss/rustling noise when connected by USB, this remains regardless of whether I also have BT connected or not and after a while it seems to go away.

The auto power off is a pain, generally it powers off just as I receive a call or meeting VC and the time it takes to reconnect to bot the USB and BT means I typically have missed the call or I have to answer first then tell the caller to wait for my headset to connect. It would be nice to set the timeout length in the app/software or to turn it off all together.

I tried messing around with improving the range of the USB dongle. I turned all my WIFI networks off except two on the 2.4ghz spectrum (didn't bother with 5Ghz for obvious reasons), I then moved those networks to different channels (turning off auto select channel on my WIFI). I found that I was able to improve my range of the USB connection by around a further 2M up from the 2-3M I had until I get the dreaded 'connected'. I also tried using a USB extender cable and placing the dongle out into the room away from my pc and other devices and this made zero difference. The USB and BT range on this headset seems sub-par when I consider my other BT headsets which allow me to range several meters without issue with no issues penetrating walls... Hopefully this can be resolved or dramatically improved in firmware. Perhaps the option of manually selecting a 2.4Ghz channel could be added or at least display the channel in the app the dongle is currently using?

The USB dongle is temperamental when working with sleep on Windows its seems...sometime it comes out of sleep fine other times I get windows telling me 'the last USB device driver did not load correctly', the resolution for this appears to be unplugging and re-plugging the USB dongle. I have other dongles that do not get this issue...perhaps its a USB driver bug that needs tuning?

The other issue that sometimes threatens to 'end' my ability to hear is the massive volume jump that occurs when flicking between using something connected to BT and the pc connected by USB. I haven't worked out how to stop this yet but for now, before playing an source on my PC I roll the volume on the headset down seriously to prevent bursting my ear drums. Again another thing I hope they can resolve through firmware.

Initially, I was using the 'Your phone' app on Windows10 to manage calls from my mobile. This meant I could take mobile calls, listen to music off my home PC and still be on VC calls and softphone on my work pc, which was great when it worked. However, after the 1.5 firmware (could be coincidental) callers to my mobile (S9) via 'your phone' started complaining that I sounded like a robot/underwater and hard to understand, this seems to suggest once again less than ideal BT connectivity between the dongle and headset. Hopefully, further updates will improve the stability of this connection and resolve this.

On the comfort issue. I stretched my headset over one of my desktop monitor speakers for a few hours between use and this largely fixed the pressure on my ears but it has not fixed the 'hot spot' issue on the top of my head which sometimes leads to a headache. It would be nice to see an endorsed solution for this from Audeze rather than me having to go and DIY something.

Beyond the above, it goes without saying the audio quality of these cans is fantastic. I also love the feature of being able to simultaneously hold a connection over both BT and 2.4Ghz it just needs to be optimized.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #4,639 of 7,191
My pair has the "wind" noise on the left earcup. It was appearing randomly but it wasn't very frequent and it was only audible for a few seconds so it didn't bother me, but since yesterday it became worse and now I can hear it very frequently and for minutes. Did @Audeze say something about if there are any plans of fixing this through firmware or do I have to RMA it?

I have experienced this issue. It was sporadic in most cases but two days ago I was playing God of War and while paddling the boat (only ambient noises) the warbling wind noise started and stayed that way for 15-20 minutes.

I have sent the headphones back to Audeze and have a ticket in their system to fix and return. Hopefully they can reproduce it.

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #4,642 of 7,191
Some quick impressions from yesterday. I set the sound profile to warm.
Listening Tidal from iPhone via bluetooth, surprisingly good sound quality. I think Penrose could be a very solid option for someone who isn't so deep in the rabbit hole.

Also played some Demon's Souls and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint on PS5 yesterday. No issues with connectivity or any problems with sounds. No issues communicating with my friend. Sound quality was a lot better than my old Sennheiser headset, and I think they also beat my LCD-MX4's plugged straight into the PS5 controller.

The volume control needs some work, though. The volume difference between steps is too big and the volume is either slightly too loud or a bit too quiet.

Comfort could be better too. No issue with clamping force, but it does develop a sore spot on the top of my head, and requires occasional sifting around.

Haven't tried Penrose with my work computer yet for Skype and Teams meetings, but my experience strictly for music listening from a phone and gaming on consoles so far has been great.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #4,643 of 7,191
Good news ! I took a close look at the USB-C port, it seems that a pin on the USB-C cable came off and jammed it's self inside the port, hence possibly shorting and rebooting my pc. After that all is working perfectly fine, charging and being detected without any issues.

Was a close one, it's made me realise how damn good the audio is on these headphones compared to my Sennheiser Game One's :p

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #4,644 of 7,191
Hi

I registered to post my observations. I am not sponsored or otherwise involved.

Current setup: Astro A50.
Previous headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, RT wireless line, HD 555/598/599.
Wired interface: Matrix Mini-i pro 2s + HD 700

Scenario: need classy wireless headphones. Not an audiophile, comfort and function equally important and audio quality is not "above all else" if all else fails.

I ordered Penrose to check if they'd be a viable solution to multiple source problem (PC, laptop, iPhone, TV). Astro A50 being only 2,4 GHz is limited. BT connectivity plus 2,4 GHz low latency, Penrose seemed like a good choice.

Firmware updated 1/13

Audio quality - when Penrose play, they deliver. Easy win over A50. Still, A50 is a strong contender and if AQ is not your sole concern, they do the job, especially since they do not present ANY sort of issues so prevalent in Penrose.

EQ presets - I don't tend to use these a lot, just pick one or use flat profile. Even then I think those presets in Penrose are a joke - you have to connect the USB wire to be able to switch between presets in the software - no way to switch them on the device. Talk about "wireless" headphones.

Penrose / A50 are comparable in clamp and weight. Penrose being much more in "closed" headphones category, although not as closed as for example Sennheiser HD 600, where you can actually hear your heart beat. But closed enough to hear your skin move against the padding. If you move your head much, you will probably hear it. A50 in that regard - no issue since they are open back and suede padded.

Noise floor, crackling, low range, drops. All of these stand out in Penrose. Noise floor I could live with if none of the other issues existed. Range is like two steps away and you get "Connected..connected" love message from Audeze bot. With A50 I can walk around the house and barely lose the connection. Intermittent crackling and noise (probably interference from the mouse and the keyboard and whatnot) are WAY more pronounced and noticeable than in A50 (if it ever picks up any). Still, not a deal breaker for me.

What breaks it for me are:

- clicking in the right speaker
I have no idea what that is, but a slightest move of my head produces a barely audible click in the right speaker. I thought for a sec it was indeed in my head, but no. Moving the pad with a hand also produced a slight clicking sound. Annoying.

- balance
My Penrose is leaning left. Just that tiny little bit, but still. Once noticed, it will not go away. I even tried to blow my nose to balance the pressure in my ear canals. Still there.

- connectivity
AUX I don't care about. 2,4 GHz is of the "two feet max" sorts, not impressive but I haven't noticed any substantial drops while remaining within two feet from the transmitter. It also serves well to use a USB extender to put the transmitter away from the PC. Once I connected it directly to the motherboard it picked up all sorts of interference to the point of zero usability.
A50 lacks BT connectivity. But BT connectivity in Penrose is limited (not sure if it's Audeze issue or BT in general). There does not appear to be a way to dynamically switch between BT sources (like Apple Airpods). The volume knob double click only connects to the last device, it does not switch between them. Also Penrose does not seem to be able to disconnect from the paired device by itself. For example my TV set, once paired and connected must first disconnect before I can reconnect to my iPhone. Not a convenient way, esp when somebody's calling. Maybe I expected too much from BT but being unable to switch between BT sources without unnecessary hassle is an annoyance to say the least. I can pretty much forget about multi device use (TV, laptop, iPhone). I wanted to love these cans, but as it stands now, too many issues and shortcomings, some of which are unlikely to be fixed.

@Jenza, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598, which I use only for gaming on PC and PS5 (single player games). What do you think about Penrose against the Sennheiser HD 598? I have this sennheiser for years now and so far didn't found any upgrade that worth the money.

Now I'm looking for a wireless headset and penrose is the only one that looks like a good alternative, but I don't know if it's better or worse than the sennheiser. Thanks!

@all

I saw 2 posts on reddit saying that the Penrose X works wirelessly with PS5 on "pc mode". Can anyone confirm that? Is there any loss? Here where I live I'm only finding the Penrose X.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,648 of 7,191
@Jenza, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598, which I use only for gaming on PC and PS5 (single player games). What do you think about Penrose against the Sennheiser HD 598? I have this sennheiser for years now and so far didn't found any upgrade that worth the money.

Now I'm looking for a wireless headset and penrose is the only one that looks like a good alternative, but I don't know if it's better or worse than the sennheiser. Thanks!

@all

I saw 2 posts on reddit saying that the Penrose X works wirelessly with PS5 on "pc mode". Can anyone confirm that? Is there any loss? Here where I live I'm only finding the Penrose X.

Thanks!
I’ve been using my Penrose X with PS5. They work perfectly. PS even detects them as Penrose headset

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,649 of 7,191
I have been following this thread since inception also I have been following @Audeze and it seems since the 8th Jan they have gone dead silent, going from being very engaged to nothing....I hope this means they have been 'heads down' fixing the remaining issues for this headset and not that we have broken them! :)

I also quite often get background hiss/rustling noise when connected by USB, this remains regardless of whether I also have BT connected or not and after a while it seems to go away.

The auto power off is a pain, generally it powers off just as I receive a call or meeting VC and the time it takes to reconnect to bot the USB and BT means I typically have missed the call or I have to answer first then tell the caller to wait for my headset to connect. It would be nice to set the timeout length in the app/software or to turn it off all together.

I tried messing around with improving the range of the USB dongle. I turned all my WIFI networks off except two on the 2.4ghz spectrum (didn't bother with 5Ghz for obvious reasons), I then moved those networks to different channels (turning off auto select channel on my WIFI). I found that I was able to improve my range of the USB connection by around a further 2M up from the 2-3M I had until I get the dreaded 'connected'. I also tried using a USB extender cable and placing the dongle out into the room away from my pc and other devices and this made zero difference. The USB and BT range on this headset seems sub-par when I consider my other BT headsets which allow me to range several meters without issue with no issues penetrating walls... Hopefully this can be resolved or dramatically improved in firmware. Perhaps the option of manually selecting a 2.4Ghz channel could be added or at least display the channel in the app the dongle is currently using?

The USB dongle is temperamental when working with sleep on Windows its seems...sometime it comes out of sleep fine other times I get windows telling me 'the last USB device driver did not load correctly', the resolution for this appears to be unplugging and re-plugging the USB dongle. I have other dongles that do not get this issue...perhaps its a USB driver bug that needs tuning?

The other issue that sometimes threatens to 'end' my ability to hear is the massive volume jump that occurs when flicking between using something connected to BT and the pc connected by USB. I haven't worked out how to stop this yet but for now, before playing an source on my PC I roll the volume on the headset down seriously to prevent bursting my ear drums. Again another thing I hope they can resolve through firmware.

Initially, I was using the 'Your phone' app on Windows10 to manage calls from my mobile. This meant I could take mobile calls, listen to music off my home PC and still be on VC calls and softphone on my work pc, which was great when it worked. However, after the 1.5 firmware (could be coincidental) callers to my mobile (S9) via 'your phone' started complaining that I sounded like a robot/underwater and hard to understand, this seems to suggest once again less than ideal BT connectivity between the dongle and headset. Hopefully, further updates will improve the stability of this connection and resolve this.

On the comfort issue. I stretched my headset over one of my desktop monitor speakers for a few hours between use and this largely fixed the pressure on my ears but it has not fixed the 'hot spot' issue on the top of my head which sometimes leads to a headache. It would be nice to see an endorsed solution for this from Audeze rather than me having to go and DIY something.

Beyond the above, it goes without saying the audio quality of these cans is fantastic. I also love the feature of being able to simultaneously hold a connection over both BT and 2.4Ghz it just needs to be optimized.

To fix auto power off when using Bluetooth headset mode I run this in the background once I connect first thing on the morning and after turning in the microphone.

http://satsignal.eu/software/audio.html

It's the only truly Freeware app I could find that you could set and forget.
I set to output sine wave, -41 dBm (basically silent). 3kHZ (well below audible, I found 1 kHz ignored by the headset).

This seems to be enough to keep headset alive until it runs out of power, typically about 7pm.
(So 10 hours of genuine always on )

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,650 of 7,191
To fix auto power off when using Bluetooth headset mode I run this in the background once I connect first thing on the morning and after turning in the microphone.

http://satsignal.eu/software/audio.html

It's the only truly Freeware app I could find that you could set and forget.
I set to output sine wave, -41 dBm (basically silent). 3kHZ (well below audible, I found 1 kHz ignored by the headset).

This seems to be enough to keep headset alive until it runs out of power, typically about 7pm.
(So 10 hours of genuine always on )
Truthfully I find it more annoying that I have to go into the sound control panel each morning to enable the microphone. That seems to be a driver error or an unnecessary decision for privacy reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back