Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,202 of 7,191
I'm getting a pair of the regular penrose soon and I play on pc. I've read the chat/game mix doesn't work on either the headset dial or on the software. Have they mentioned this is something they plan to remedy? That's sorta an important thing because I'm always adjusting that.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,205 of 7,191
And I got a reply to the crackling and popping issue on their latest live stream on YouTube.

My question was "Have you seen the comments about crackling/popping issues with the Penrose on any system/pc? Possibly connection related? Can a firmware fix this or help connection range/stability?"

This was their reply "Yes. A majority of the units seen to be okay. We are trying to find out the issue reported on certain units."

So I would suggest if you're having this issue to contact support. It sounds like maybe certain units hardware wise are defective.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #4,206 of 7,191
Do you have the numbers to hand? I cannot find them on their website. I can only update via Android phone so I cannot load a preset profile I have to create it manually. Thank you.

Attached :)

Feels good, try Atmos demo IN Dolby app on xbox - powerful bass is really powerful :)

This is WARM preset from Mobius presets from here:
https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-presets

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104_190826.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104_190826.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #4,208 of 7,191
Preset 'Warm' imoroved my experience, still isnt what I expected, but its better.

Edit again:
Nkw better than Siberia :) finally.

No issues with connection to Xbox by now.

Issues when connected to Xbox and Phone in the same time (bt), cracks during music play from the Phone.

No issues when connected only to Xbox or only to Phone.

I was surprised of the big downgrade part :)
I thought about a defective unit ... but it seems you found a good settings !

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #4,209 of 7,191
Preset 'Warm' imoroved my experience, still isnt what I expected, but its better.

Edit again:
Nkw better than Siberia :) finally.

No issues with connection to Xbox by now.

Issues when connected to Xbox and Phone in the same time (bt), cracks during music play from the Phone.

No issues when connected only to Xbox or only to Phone.

Curious how you are dealing with controlling the volume levels when on bluetooth and wireless for the xbox. I have an issue on my iPhone where I turn up the volume and it turns up the master and I have no way of independently controlling that.

It drives me nuts because I want to hear the game and chat but also want some subtle music playing in the background and there is no way to do this. Audeze said they have no way to address this because of the hardware limitation but people have gotten around it disabling the absolute volume in developer settings on android. Just switched to iPhone after 10 years (which i regret) and there is no such option....

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,213 of 7,191
the HQ app on android still will not work for me (after multiple reinstalls, cleared cache, etc etc) as it just opens then immediately "stops working" and closes. Not sure
what's up with it as I'm on an S7 Edge.

Aside from that, I have not experienced any issues that some of the posts here mention (i.e. static noise or crackling/popping or connectivity issues).

The only thing other than not having the app work via android for me I could point out would be even after trying to mess around with different mic positions
and the mic gain, everyone says the mic stills sounds muffled no matter where I talk through it. I actually did a test with a my sennheisers to have somebody talk into the
penrose so I could hear what the mic sounded like and I agree it does sound a bit lacking in clarity vs my other headsets.

All in all, I'm happy with the feel and the quality of the sound of the penrose and hope that some of the issues going on can be solved through future fireware or software updates? P.S. I agree with the posts that mention the mic gain vs game chat mix option should be reversed.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #4,214 of 7,191
Phone and iPhone 11
Make sure you are on bluetooth mode, the mic isn't muster and that the microphone is plugged in the correct spot (I have made that mistake)

There isn't a seperate call and media option for iPhones so it should just work. I just test on mine and it worked. Also make sure the Penrose is selected when making the call from where you would typically put a call on speakerphone.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #4,215 of 7,191
hello all,

got my penrose X today; windows user

When nothing is playing on the background I get a slight hiss on the background. The dongle itself is 50cm from the headphones so I assume this is standard for all devices. Not as annoying as when actually music is playing playing.

The annoying part that I can't figure out is that I "listen" to my voice no matter what the settings are. This is with the microphone on windows not having the "listen to this device" ticked. Is there any way around this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back