Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #4,216 of 7,191
My another 2 cents

MIC: "You sound like you say with your ass" - my friends opinion.

Sound quality: good enough, not overwhelming (compare to Siberia 800 - maybe Penrose are slightly better)

Connection: unstable: 2m from the console and I hear "connected" every now and then. When connected by BT to the phone (in the same time as connected to the console), spotify drops connections and I can hear cracling sounds almost constantly

Control (buttons): I don't understand what for there is MIC volume and why GAME/CHAT MIX can be change after wheel press - with this solution there's no way to set game/chat mix correctly. In addition Game/Chat mix can be changed through Mobile APP which would be great if the sound volume (hame/chat) wouldn't change after connectiing/disconnecting with bluetooth.

For gamers this makes no sense. In warzone there is a need to change game/chat mix quite often - with these headset it can't be done (or it's not easy).

I'm waiting for @Audeze response for this for 2 maybe 3 days and I'm going to send this unfinished product back.

Edit:
Oh, and with the headset on I can hear everything perfectly in my house - no noise cancellation at all.
Same anyone in my house can hear what I'm listen to.

One (maybe two) word/s of description on these headset: similar to Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,217 of 7,191
@Audeze I have been trying to process a return with your support team since December 28th due to comfort reasons. Vlad suggested stretching out the headset (which didnt work and shouldnt have to be done on a $300 headset) and I said that I have tried that and would like to process the return. I have not heard back since my last email (December 30th) and I have followed up twice since then.

It has almost been a month since the headset was delivered and I would like to send these back before the month passes.

Hope to hear from your team soon.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,218 of 7,191
Been using the penrose x for almost a week.
Coming from a Razor kraken i am mostly happy with them. The sound is great, very impressed with the directional sound. Fit is very comfortable. Had no connectivity issues.
My biggest issue is the chat mix and volume control. I seem to have to set the chat mix via the app, every time i play or connect to bluetooth it resets the chat mix. And like others have said would prefer the mic gain was chat mix. When connecting to bluetooth the xbox volume changes and not being able to individually change the volume is very annoying.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #4,219 of 7,191
Been using the penrose x for almost a week.
Coming from a Razor kraken i am mostly happy with them. The sound is great, very impressed with the directional sound. Fit is very comfortable. Had no connectivity issues.
My biggest issue is the chat mix and volume control. I seem to have to set the chat mix via the app, every time i play or connect to bluetooth it resets the chat mix. And like others have said would prefer the mic gain was chat mix. When connecting to bluetooth the xbox volume changes and not being able to individually change the volume is very annoying.

To address the last bit, if you are trying to use an iPhone you are SOL and on Android you can enable "disable absolute volume for bluetooth" and you can get around the master volume issue. On pc, I believe you can adjust the individual app volume sliders instead of the main volume which may work. I'm not home or I would have tested that.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,220 of 7,191
They wrote to me and said yes the x dongle is currently working on ps5 but they can't guarantee of it will keep working. So it sounds like they might do an update in the next firmware to make it not somehow. Or the xbox will do it. So if happy with how it sounds now and they release an update id wait to see responses if it kicks people off of ps5. Prob their way to make you spend the 35 on a new dongle. Than you have to unpaired it to each dongle every time you switch consoles

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #4,221 of 7,191
They wrote to me and said yes the x dongle is currently working on ps5 but they can't guarantee if it will keep working. So it sounds like they might do an update in the next firmware to make it not somehow. Or the xbox will do it. So if happy with how it sounds now and they release an update id wait to see responses if it kicks people off of ps5. Prob their way to make you spend the 35 on a new dongle. Than you have to unpaired it to each dongle every time you switch consoles

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #4,222 of 7,191
They wrote to me and said yes the x dongle is currently working on ps5 but they can't guarantee of it will keep working. So it sounds like they might do an update in the next firmware to make it not somehow. Or the xbox will do it. So if happy with how it sounds now and they release an update id wait to see responses if it kicks people off of ps5. Prob their way to make you spend the 35 on a new dongle. Than you have to unpaired it to each dongle every time you switch consoles

Please no, this sounds like a nightmare. I got the headset specifically to use it on both ps5 and series x jfc

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,224 of 7,191
Make sure you are on bluetooth mode, the mic isn't muster and that the microphone is plugged in the correct spot (I have made that mistake)

There isn't a seperate call and media option for iPhones so it should just work. I just test on mine and it worked. Also make sure the Penrose is selected when making the call from where you would typically put a call on speakerphone.
The mic isn't muster? do you mean muted? I have checked all that mate I even tested the headset on wireless on series X and it worked perfectly (the Mic) I double-checked I had Auzese penrose selected too from the speakerphone button. Its highly confusing it works everywhere but not on my iphone. The speakers do I get sound i can hear the call but they can't hear me.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #4,226 of 7,191
The mic isn't muster? do you mean muted? I have checked all that mate I even tested the headset on wireless on series X and it worked perfectly (the Mic) I double-checked I had Auzese penrose selected too from the speakerphone button. Its highly confusing it works everywhere but not on my iphone. The speakers do I get sound i can hear the call but they can't hear me.

Defintely meant muted haha

Not sure what else you could try besides "forgetting the device" from your bluetooth list and then repairing it. Maybe try a reboot of the phone too, that never hurts to try.

The software is so wonky that I have to disable bluetooth on one device such as my laptop and then repair to get back on the other such as my phone.

It's nice that they advertised all these features but so many feel rudementary and not polished to the point where I feel like they should have disabled them for further testing. Once they got all the bugs out, push out a firmware patch to enable them with less issues.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #4,228 of 7,191
I'm getting a pair of the regular penrose soon and I play on pc. I've read the chat/game mix doesn't work on either the headset dial or on the software. Have they mentioned this is something they plan to remedy? That's sorta an important thing because I'm always adjusting that.
If its like arctis it only works while your in the chat

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #4,229 of 7,191
PSA: I feel stupid but it turns out a lot of the popping issues I'm having is seemingly connected to upgrading my phone (Xperia 1II) to Android 11. I didn't think about it until tonight, when I thought "wait a minute, let me try and commend a BT speaker instead". And just like that, all the popping issues appeared on the speaker too.

The popping is extremely noticeable when I actually do anything with my phone. Gets better when the phone is idle.

But yeah, I'm not saying everyone has the same issue, but in my case it's clearly not Penrose's fault

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,230 of 7,191
hello all,

got my penrose X today; windows user

When nothing is playing on the background I get a slight hiss on the background. The dongle itself is 50cm from the headphones so I assume this is standard for all devices. Not as annoying as when actually music is playing playing.

The annoying part that I can't figure out is that I "listen" to my voice no matter what the settings are. This is with the microphone on windows not having the "listen to this device" ticked. Is there any way around this?
Turned sidetone off in the audeze HQ programme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back