Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #4,189 of 7,191
Yeah, I was talking about the multifunction button. You trunaround is definitely not ideal. I hope Audeze can find a better way to do it.

My bluetooth to The phone is only for calls, so It doesn't botter me much. But I would be upset in your case.

Do you not have an issue with others on console or PC hearing you while on the call? This is pretty annoying that the mic is active for both sources simultaneously for me.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #4,190 of 7,191
My review of the Penrose X

I am your average gamer/worker who isn't an audiophile and just needs a decent headphone for gaming, watching movies, listening to music and conference calls. A generic Joe who isn't going to complain about noise floor or sound separation. So if you're also an average Joe like me, this might be useful to you. I assume a lot of casual gamers probably fall into the same bracket as me.

I don't use Discord I only use in-game or party chats so I'm not fussed about that side of it.

I have had the Penrose X since before Christmas. My tech is:
  • Xbox Series X for gaming
  • iPad Netflix watching
  • MacBook Pro (and sometimes iPhone 12 Pro Max) music and voice conferences

Edit: As I write this review, I have connected being repeated into my ears and I cannot get them to connect to my MacBook Pro again to listen to music while I write this review, which is such a shame as this is the first issue I've encountered with the Penrose X. This was going to be positive in the most part, but as fate would have it, I too am plagued by some connection issues and what timing.

The fit and design of the Penrose X

I know there have been complaints of the clamping force, but I actually find these too loose. When I walk they move about on my head easily and if I shake my head from side to side lightly they slide about. My preference would be for more force, but I know I'm in the minority with a pinhead (unless y'all have huge heads and I'm just normal) -- so fit is a little loose for me, but since the first time walking about with these on my head was annoying, I've not done it again. Sitting at my desk is fine as I don't move my head too much (only when getting angry at Warzone!)

Colours don't bother me, they're on my head, I cannot see them.

They feel very premium and nice to the touch. I like them. Good packaging and they look like a quality pair of headphones. Kudos here!

Using the Penrose x with my Series X

I cannot fault them in this regard. Connect first time every time and I've not had a single connection issue. My Series X is on my desk where I sit to play games. I use the front port of the Series X and it stays connected with no issues.

The sound, however, fatigues my ears. The mids and highs hurt, so much so that I bought an Android phone just to EQ these as the app isn't out for Apple yet. I still cannot find a preset I like. I've tried using Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone:X with no EQ and then uncompressed with EQ and nothing eases it for me. The DTS are the best sound I've found, however, on games like Warzone any gun without a suppressor really hurts my ears.

If anyone has any presets for me to try or a recommendation please let me know.

Sound fatigue aside, I've also had complaints that people can hear me breathing, which is really annoying. I have the mic about 2 inches from my mouth, too. Either the mic is super sensitive or my breathing is really heavy. I'm a fit slim guy, so it's not like I have difficulty breathing or anything. I guess I just have powerful breath. I'm still messing about with mic placement to avoid any breathing sound issues. No one has commented on the mic other than this, either positively or negatively. I don't care as long as they can hear me.

One slight issue I had is that the battery died without warning, which was very frustrating. I had them on my head for about 3 hours straight in a gaming session and didn't get any warning at all, they just straight-up switched off mid-game. I think it would be nice to have some form of audible warning and maybe something when we have 10 minutes left as a final warning to charge them. Something like this would enable me to plug them in.

Oh and chat mix. How annoying is that. If I could have the mic gain swapped with chat mix, that would be great. I keep knocking my mic down when changing chat mix which obvs I don't know until someone tells me my mic is muted or I've gone really quiet again. I change chat mix a lot, different people have different mic gains so this is something I change all the time. I only change my mic gain once.

Watching Atmos-enabled films on Netflix via the Series X using Penrose was also an awesome experience, but the bass was a bit weak for my liking with the highs being overbearing on occasion, but on the whole, they sounded good.

Using the Penrose x with my MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad

Edit: see the intro, this was going to be a near-perfect review, but ugh... I got stuck in a connected loop. No reason for it, I was sitting at my desk with the dongle plugged in about 2ft from my face on the desk. I can only assume that since this is a USB dongle and I have to use a USB-A to USB-C connector that this is the issue. I have a Kingston multi-adapter with one of the USB-A connected and powering a Scarlett 2i2, a USB-C to my NAS and this. So I assume since it needs power that perhaps the Scarlett was taking it all, who knows.

It also appears that if I accidentally knock the button to change from wireless to Bluetooth (when taking the mic off, for example) then I end up in the connected loop again. All noticed today. It's super easy to knock that button. A lock on these would be cool to prevent me doing this when taking them off as well.

@Audeze if possible, a USB-C dongle would be very much appreciated.

Anyway, before today's connection issues, these are my thoughts.

Using the Penrose X with my MacBook Pro has been a breeze. Connection the first time was difficult. It took a few 'off and on again' for the MacBook to pick them up, but when they did they stayed connected and music sounds good. I've just come back to work today and have used them for a few Google calls and they worked fine and were clear.

Using them with Apple Music sounds fine, too.

The only thing that is bothering me is the Bluetooth connection. Doesn't seem to be a way to disconnect unless I kill it at source via my device. If I connect to my Android phone to mess with EQ and then go back to wireless, I seem to be in wireless+bluetooth mode and cannot get into pure wireless. When I disconnect my Android then either my iPhone or iPad connects. Really annoying having to disconnect all devices to get pure wireless. This could just be user error though.

Am I pleased with my purchase of the Penrose X

Yes.

I swapped Turtle Beach for the Penrose X so a massive leap in terms of sound quality. I don't get disconnects when gaming and they're pretty easy to use now that I'm used to them. They're big and heavy though, much heavier than I was expecting. However, I do like them and they were worth the five-month wait. I just hope they hold out and don't break on me.

If anyone has any tips on improving the sound quality (particularly using Series X and Warzone) then please let me know. I use the standard studio reference sound setting in Warzone (the first option) and then DTS sound in Series X settings.

Thanks. Hope this was a little useful to anyone looking to buy some headphones with the same use case as me.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,191 of 7,191
Just have received PENROSE X.

I Will use them mostly with Xbox series x.
I notice that there's almost no bass (Warzone) at all, big downgrade comparing to my previous Siberia 800. I was expecting big WOW but it nothing than disappointment.

Also sound quality is the same as in Siberia 800 (except lack of bass in Penrose x).

Currently I regret I bought them.

Recently I had an occasion to test sony wh-1000xm3 and they are like WOW, I got shivers and 'gooseflesh' almost immediately - I expected the same from Penrose, but nothing similar had happen :/

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #4,193 of 7,191

I notice that there's almost no bass (Warzone) at all, big downgrade comparing to my previous Siberia 800. I was expecting big WOW but it nothing than disappointment.

Also sound quality is the same as in Siberia 800 (except lack of bass in Penrose x).

Recently I had an occasion to test sony wh-1000xm3 and they are like WOW, I got shivers and 'gooseflesh' almost immediately - I expected the same from Penrose, but nothing similar had happen :/

Big downgrade from a Siberia 800 seems strange ...

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #4,195 of 7,191

Preset 'Warm' imoroved my experience, still isnt what I expected, but its better.

Edit again:
Nkw better than Siberia :) finally.

No issues with connection to Xbox by now.

Issues when connected to Xbox and Phone in the same time (bt), cracks during music play from the Phone.

No issues when connected only to Xbox or only to Phone.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,196 of 7,191
My review of the Penrose X

If anyone has any tips on improving the sound quality (particularly using Series X and Warzone) then please let me know. I use the standard studio reference sound setting in Warzone (the first option) and then DTS sound in Series X settings.

Try Preset 'Warm' available on audeze website and let me know. Looks like it works for me.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #4,199 of 7,191
Preset 'Warm' imoroved my experience, still isnt what I expected, but its better.

Edit again:
Nkw better than Siberia :) finally.

No issues with connection to Xbox by now.

Issues when connected to Xbox and Phone in the same time (bt), cracks during music play from the Phone.

No issues when connected only to Xbox or only to Phone.
I've been using warm preset + DTS X for headphones for most if not all games, try it out. Also make sure to turn of any EQ profile in the DTS unbound app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back