Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 28, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,932 of 7,191
So my question is why have two versions?

If the penrose x works with PC, Xbox, Mac, and PlayStation.

They could have had one that works with everything.
There must be something else then.
Pretty sure it's licensing. They don't even come out and tell you that the Penrose X work with the PS5. I have both systems, but I bought the Penrose X.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #3,933 of 7,191
Pretty sure it's licensing. They don't even come out and tell you that the Penrose X work with the PS5. I have both systems, but I bought the Penrose X.
Yes, it must be licensing/marketing forced on Audeze by the console makers, most likely microsoft in this case otherwise why would the X be marketed specifically for xbox?

It makes zero sense from Audeze perspective to have to sell/support 2 versions of basically the same thing unless they've been told they have no choice.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,934 of 7,191
I've been lurking since the thread began. Got my Penrose X today.

So far so good.

But @Audeze please for the love of all that is good... Allow us to change the mic gain scroll vs push and scroll for voice/game mix.

It is incredibly awkward and I can't imagine people want to adjust their mic gain more often than adjust game vs chat mic.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #3,937 of 7,191
In the initial test/beta versions we had it the other way and it caused a lot of confusion. The click + rotate was finalized because it caused 1. lesser confusion 2. Once you get used to it, is quite simple. Since we support a lot of platforms, people use the mic gain to adjust their volume if someone on the other side says, the volume is too low.
We will continue to evaluate user feedback on thi

I really cant understand how it could be confusing. I have never had a headset where you could change mic gain with hardware button but every Xbox headset had a way of controlling game vs chat volume. In best case senario I would rather have it as Turtle Beach with independant game and chat volume, but having the chat mix should work. I just know the mic gain will mess with me every session.

I see that more people other than me now have created accounts only to adress this problem.

Even though you make the headset to work with many sources, the Penrose X was pushed towards the Xbox console market and there I dont know a single headset with hardware mic gain.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #3,938 of 7,191
@Audeze I made this account just to say please switch the mic gain to chat mix.
I would also like the ability to disable the mic gain function altogether and only have the mic gain adjuster only adjust chat mix with no secondary function when pressed in. Although I could see accidentally pressing in when trying to adjust chat mix, so maybe pressing in does the same thing as not pressing in.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #3,939 of 7,191
Got mine in today.

The Good:
  • Sound amazing, got that planar sound that I just love, don't feel like I'm even missing that much listening to music on them vs the Alpha Dogs
  • Get LOUD, not left wanting more volume like the Arctis
  • Pretty decently comfortable
  • Mic is plenty good enough for a wireless mic
  • Range is actually pretty decent, even with my UniFi router nearby. Less than my Arctis, but only by maybe 5 feet or so.
  • USB C, can actually charge em with the same chargers I use for everything else I own
  • I've already been finding the bluetooth thing useful despite not expecting to use it at all
  • Work just as well on Linux as they do on Windows (tried on both drives) despite no official support
The Bad:
  • Have had the connection drop out several times so far, twice within 30 seconds of each other, requiring flipping through the options or turning them off and back on to reconnect since it doesn't seem to reconnect on it's own. The worst part is that if it happens in voice chat without background noise, I'd have absolutely no way of knowing if the connection was dropped or if chat is just quiet without getting up to go look at my computer.
  • Wooshing in one ear when nothing is playing, not static or noise but like a far away wind, or maybe like a carbonated beverage with a loose cap. Which is very annoying when I'm just chatting and not also having music/video/games/whatever going on with it. Is only sometimes there.
  • No voice/chat mix outside on most platforms.
  • For some stupid reason the dongle only registers as an audio device when the headphones are turned on, which makes my system freak out and make my audio start playing out of different devices when they get disconnected instead of just making the dongle an always on audio device even if the signal is getting sent nowhere to keep it stable system side
Overall mostly happy, and I really hope the first two of my complaints will be fixed in firmware eventually. Being happy with them long term is going to be absolutely contingent on the first issue being fixed at some point, the second is just an annoyance.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #3,941 of 7,191
@Audeze, I strongly agree with many others..., please switch the mic gain to chat mix. The current function really does not work well at all.
A couple of other suggestions / requests:
- More volume steps, I feel like the jump in volume between clicks is too big.
- Battery indicator when in Bluetooth (not working for me, Android = One Plus 6T)
- Ability to name Presets
- Would be nice if the Xbox "Headset Volume" slider would adjust as you physically adjust the volume on the headset itself
- Xbox "Headset Volume" and "Headset Chat Mixer" sliders stayed grayed out. Why don't these turn blue when the headset is connected to the console?

Hope this helps, Thanks.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #3,942 of 7,191
So I opened my penrose x just now and after reading all the complaints about comfort I expected to hate it. It’s not bad at all. Pretty comfy if I’m being honest. Maybe I’m tolerant or just have the perfect head match lol. The ear cups could be larger but they fit well. Haven’t done any real testing but first impressions are good. A quick listen to some music and they sound really good. I’ve no problem with the wooshing sound because I hear my house AC system(fan always running to regulate humidity in South Florida) in the background anyway. So far I’m impressed. Of course I need some time with them.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #3,943 of 7,191
I haven't messed with the EQ much yet, as until we get wireless config of it i wasn't planning to because like you i think i'd like to swap between Footsteps and Neutral for music. Are custom profiles such as the middle ground one you mentioned setting up shareable?

I haven't really checked but think there is an option to save the profile file to the PC - presume this could be shared and imported as per the Mobius files @Audeze shared? Will have a look when next at the PC to confirm :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,945 of 7,191
Hi! Penrose X user here. I created this account to share my first impressions with these headset after 7-8 hours of use (received them yesterday):
  • For me, these headset is in the comfortable side. My previous headphones were the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro, and despite the fact that the penrose are not as comfortable, they are definitely comfortable for me in large sessions of listening. Good clamping force out of the box, enough cushion and not hurt at all coming from the headband. I used them yesterday several hours without rests and had zero problems with this.
  • Connection is completely stable in my case, just plug and play. I'm using them on PC (plugged in a USB 3.0 in the front of the case), and tried them in Nintendo Switch too, also without cuts or any type of connectivity issues. That said, range is not great, but enough for me for moving around my bedroom or going to the toilet (that is just in front of my bedroom).
  • Sound is also pretty good, with good detail and decent soundstage. I find them a little bassy but that's probably because I'm used to my Beyerdynamic, so I need more time to get used to these.
  • Microphone still needs work, it just had not enough clarity when I tried it in discord (but in OBS sounded pretty good, so not sure what is really going on). I guess I'll still use my Fifine K669-B, but I hope that Audeze improves this point.
  • Sidetone is unusable for me right now, it just add a lot of background noise, like a LOT and very LOUD.
  • Talking about background noise, with sidetone off it's a lot more quieter, but definitely audible when playing something at low volume. It's not really a problem since it's not enough loud for me to lose my attention from what I'm listening, but I still wish they can make this more quieter.
  • I also hear the wind noise coming from the left earcup. It's only audible at random moments, and when the voice of the headset talks, but it's definitely there and annoying when listenning to low volumes.
Overall I'm having a good experience with these, but I need more time testing them. I'll update if I find new problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back