Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 25, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,814 of 7,191
does this mean we have to connect the penrose via USB to see the battery level or will that be transmitted via wireless?
Initial version will have the indicator over USB cable. We will also implement it over wireless as a second step.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #3,815 of 7,191
I've had this headset for about 5 days now and the sound quality is awesome. The battery seems to last a long time as I haven't had it die yet during multiple full day gaming sessions. I did originally get a ton of complaints about the mic quality on discord but after turning off Echo Cancellation (Voice & Video > Voice Processing) everyone says it sounds great now. On day 2 I developed a crinkling noise in the right cup (while I was wearing the headphones) whenever the pressure inside the pads changes ever so slightly (such as opening my mouth, turning my head, or putting on/taking off the cans) and I noticed the diaphram has become wrinkled on that side. That issue started off fairly severe but after sitting for 2 days it seems to have greatly lessened, as its only noticeable when first putting on or taking off the headset now.

After that issue *mostly* fixed itself I decided to experiment with swapping the pads out for a Brainwavz set so that they were more over-ear instead of on-ear for me. In case anyone is interested in swapping the pads out for a deeper set I had a friend design a gasket to 3d print to maintain the seal. The original idea was found in the mobius thread here by Zenvota. You just need to print out the gasket(x2) and then wrap either side with 1mm adhesive backed crafting felt.

That's awesome. I did notice a bit of sound degradation when using aftermarket brainwavz pads, probably due to the lack of a seal as you mentioned. I was hoping someone would create a 3d printed piece that would snap on in a similar to the stock ear pad, but allow channel so that aftermarket pads can slip into. Unfortunately, I am not smart enough nor do I have the resources to create such a piece. :triportsad:

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #3,816 of 7,191
With the Penrose for PS5 and the latest firmware 0.1.5 and sidetone to off, it still have noise floor that can be heard when you have no sound or during dialog or call sequence in game.
My Sony platinum (wireless 2.4Ghz too) is dead silent. Same thing for my Meze audio 99 classics connected to the dualsense controller with a 3.5 cable.

@Audeze do you plan to lower it again ? With the 0.1.5 it lowered by -18dB, can you go further (-21dB or more ?) to annihilate this very boring sound ?

EDIT : on PS5 when I use the ps store section with the background music, I can hear the noise floor ... no need to focus too much to hear it.
Will try with the Sony platinum to check.

I’ve played to Spiderman remaster and the sound is so good with the Penrose !!! So much dynamic and details, the city seems real with all the noise/sound around you in New York. The audio 3D does a really good job and I’ve some elevation effect with some helicopter (right away the fight with schooler McKee in the bank). The Penrose really shine with both spiderman titles on PS5 (3D audio on)
If the noise floor can be eliminate it will be even more incredible !

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #3,819 of 7,191
The app doesnt control the balance between bt and wireless sound. So the issue remains unless I am doing something wrong. Lots of clicking noises when using BT too...
Under controls on the app mine has a bt volume wheel which let's me raise or lower bt volume independent of wireless volume. Before if I tried to control this on my phone (no app, just volume controls) it would raise or lower both bt and wireless volume making it worthless

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #3,820 of 7,191
So what are some equalizer settings people are using to optimize the bass on these headphones? Right now the best settings I’ve found for my ears have been the “Penrose Power Up Your Music” preset called “RoundAndMuscular.”

Any suggestions on enhancing the bass from these for a little more punch?

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #3,821 of 7,191
Under controls on the app mine has a bt volume wheel which let's me raise or lower bt volume independent of wireless volume. Before if I tried to control this on my phone (no app, just volume controls) it would raise or lower both bt and wireless volume making it worthless
Oh weird. It was still doing that for me. Will give it another go. Thanks

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #3,823 of 7,191
I noticed a lot more crackling and popping tonight while gaming. I did a headphone test <------that one
I noticed the cracking and popping stats on the second test at 10k hz and increases in frequency until 15k hz when my headphones cut out completely and won't play anything above that. Anyone else able to replicate? I'm wondering if it's noises on this hz range that is causing crackles and pops in games.

@Audeze wondering if this crackling popping is normal in this hz range? Or if anyone else can test and see if the same happens to them?

I tested this same program with my 7p. I only had 1 or 2 small crackles/pops in the 10k-15k hz range. The 7ps also dropped most audible sound at 15k (I could hear a tiny bit of sound if I turned them all the way up) but the crackling and popping was MUCH less then what I was getting with Penrose. The Penrose honestly was more crackles and pops then anything else once I hit 13k hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back