Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 25, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #3,783 of 7,196
Merry Christmas, all. Santa delivered me (I bought myself) an Android phone so I can EQ my Penrose X and update the firmware, however, I cannot see the update firmware option. Is this because I'm already on the latest version, or can you only update these on the desktop app...

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3,784 of 7,196
I just received my Penrose and tried them for the first time on PS5. I already can’t wait to return these things. The audio is SO bad.

Your the first to make this claim, of all the complaints, audio quality isn't one of them. As per a few follow ups, make sure 3D audio is turned off. You are playing CoD, which has a long history of poor sound design. It was a major reason I stopped playing it many years ago. This may be a case of not bad Penrose Audio, but simply different. You are so used to your Astros of 10 years, and how CoD has sounded to you that different is just plain wrong. If CoD is still as crap sound wise as it used to be, and comments on here seem to suggest it is, then maybe the Penrose is just opening your eyes to how bad it is, and the Astros have hidden it.

Also, the game/chat wheel doesn’t work.

Blame this on Sony, you can only adjust Game/Chat mix on the console, not on any 3rd party USB headsets.

Try to change audio output to linear pcm. It sounded way better to me and was easier to distinguish footsteps.

This will have ZERO effect on the Penrose audio. PS5 outputs Stereo PCM by default to all USB audio devices. Linear and Bitstream options only relate to HDMI out.

Right now there is way too much bass.

Sounds like you have 3D audio turned on, the Penrose do not have too much bass, not by any measure.

turned 3d audio off and found this much better.

Yep

It absolutely matters.

!00% makes no difference on PS5 which is what that conversation was about.

if anyone is still on the fence on this: definitely don't buy this

Or do what everyone else with a tight fit complaint has suggested, stretch them out by fitting on something like a folded pillow, issue gone.

Bluetooth is so loud over wireless if playing music it makes it kind of useless which is a real shame. I

This will vary greatly on what the BT device is and in what mode it is, Music vs Phone for example.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #3,786 of 7,196
I called UPS in regards to my Penrose X order that has been in transit after clearing customs since Saturday/Sunday.

The representative said it’s odd there has been no scans since being shipped from Chek Lap Kok, but it’s still in transit. They mentioned if I don’t receive any scans or updates by today/tomorrow morning to put in a claim for an investigation. Anyone run into this issue for USA or Canada?

i had an update on the 23rd and it passed through Ankorage Alaska lol

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #3,789 of 7,196
I am still deciding if I should just go with Arctis wireless pro. astro a50 or still go ahead with Audeze Penrose. Seems like there's so much negative feedback on this. What do you guys think?

i would go with the Penrose. I had the A50s and had some issues with drop outs like folks reported here for Penrose. I think the A50 would have a better mic and the Penrose better sound. But ultimately you can’t go wrong with either.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #3,790 of 7,196
I am still deciding if I should just go with Arctis wireless pro. astro a50 or still go ahead with Audeze Penrose. Seems like there's so much negative feedback on this. What do you guys think?

I have the Arctis pro and the A50 and would not recommend Astro at all. Sound quality lacking. The Arctis are better but lately I’ve been using the Audio Technica ADG1X which is not wireless but because of the sound quality. It is a lot more enjoyable to listen to than the others.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #3,791 of 7,196
i would go with the Penrose. I had the A50s and had some issues with drop outs like folks reported here for Penrose. I think the A50 would have a better mic and the Penrose better sound. But ultimately you can’t go wrong with either.

You think it would have a better mic? Everything says the penrose is finnicky but not poor quality.

Although mic quality isn’t exactly my priority. I like a mic for when I have to have a mic but as long as it’s useable and people can hear me I’m fine with it. So maybe I am not as much of a connoisseur as others I. That area who have to do a lot of work meetings from home etc.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,792 of 7,196
You think it would have a better mic? Everything says the penrose is finnicky but not poor quality.

Although mic quality isn’t exactly my priority. I like a mic for when I have to have a mic but as long as it’s useable and people can hear me I’m fine with it. So maybe I am not as much of a connoisseur as others I. That area who have to do a lot of work meetings from home etc.

no, I meant the A50 has a better mic and the Penrose will have better sound. Haven’t heard the pro wireless

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3,794 of 7,196
no, I meant the A50 has a better mic and the Penrose will have better sound. Haven’t heard the pro wireless

I think you misunderstand. The a50 is a very basic headset in terms of audio quality. You think that mic is better than penrose mic? I have read lots of reports of the penrose mic being finnicky but not low quality. I actually expected that it would actually be higher quality than the Astros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back