Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 20, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,556 of 7,191
Make sure the mic is facing the correct side. There is no way to visually see the mic side is towards your mouth, try rotating it over
On this point, you can either remove the foam cover to ensure the domed side of the mic is facing up to your mouth or once you know that one side of the mic is domed and the other flat you can just simply feel for the dome side through the foam (which is what I do) to ensure the domed side is facing towards your mouth. Muffled MIC is not normal operation, its either user error, another piece of software causing issue in your chain or a faulty headset (unlikely).

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,557 of 7,191
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the 7P. I've used mine off and on with the PS5 for the last week, and have been underwhelmed by the 3D audio performance. Astro's Playroom is pretty good but in Fortnite, sounds that are nearby seem much, much farther away (even reloading your weapon or opening a door).

Three separate occasions I was shot from behind by someone who I either didn't hear at all or sounded 50 yards away. It was bad enough that I ended up going back to playing with Sony MDR-7506's plugged into the Dualsense. They don't sound as "fun" as the 7P, and they're definitely not as comfortable, but spatially they are far more accurate. On my PS4 Pro I had been using a Gen 1 A50/Mixamp, so that's my frame of reference for gaming.

My 7P will be returned. I pre-ordered some pc38x's from the next Drop after much thread lurking & debate. Penrose are very tempting as well, so I'd love to hear from those who have tried both the pc38x and Penrose, especially if it was on PS5.
Did you try linear pcm?

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,558 of 7,191
Just as a sanity check...everyone just plugs their usb dongle into your PC and it automatically showed up right? Also, does the light on your dongle blink or just stay solid? Mine seems to
be stuck on solid.

I’m asking this because I am 98% certain my dongle is DOA. I’ve tried multiple computers, flipping the Pc/Xbox switch, re-pairing the dongle and headphones (the lady actually says connected in my ears), and I have even tried resetting the dongle multiple times per the manual instructions. Nothing works. I can’t find any evidence any of my 3 machines recognize the usb drive on any windows or Mac settings (sound, devices, etc). I even downloaded AudezeHQ and it can’t find my headphones either.

Audeze HQ doesn't find the headphones unless connected through USB. Have you tried that? They did show up as a sound device for me more or less straight away after inserting the dongle. Didn't check the device manager but if I'm not mistaken the PC picked up something was inserted into USB and installed it automatically.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #3,559 of 7,191
Audeze HQ doesn't find the headphones unless connected through USB. Have you tried that? They did show up as a sound device for me more or less straight away after inserting the dongle. Didn't check the device manager but if I'm not mistaken the PC picked up something was inserted into USB and installed it automatically.
Yes, the AudezeHQ detects the headset when it’s connected via USB-C.

My 2.4GHz dongle however doesn’t show up on any settings anywhere on either my 2 PC’s or even my Mac. The device manager doesn’t even register it as a usb device attached. I emailed Audeze asking for a new one because nothing on their manual makes a difference.

At this point, I have basically waited 3 months just to get a pair of Bluetooth headphones...

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,560 of 7,191
This is actually the most surprising feedback for us. Mobius and Penrose have the same clamping force – and both headbands will stretch over time (or use the “pillow method” proposed by another Head-Fi’er). There are over 100K units out in the field now with the same headband, clamping force, earpads and we haven’t received any major long-term complaints on this.
I have a big head, hat size 7 5/8”, and I don’t have any issues with comfort. Yeah they’re heavier than a passive headphone but after awhile these break in nicely.

I don’t have another planar wireless headset to compare them too though... Can you guys recommend a pair that works with the PS5?

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #3,561 of 7,191
Just want to say that I have an *enormous* head, and these headphones are extremely comfortable.

I wear glasses most of the time I'm using the Penrose, and that has been less of a problem with these than with Steelseries arctis 5, Game zero, game one, any of the Astro headsets. The only headphones I've used in recent years that were more comfortable (with glasses specifically) were the HD700 and HD6XX.

I'm honestly shocked about this and leaning more toward getting some LCD series headphones again. FWIW, my head is large enough that when I special order glasses there are usually only a few frames I can pick from, and my eyes are far enough apart that very few VR headsets accommodate me. It was my singular biggest worry about these and I've been shocked; I'm wondering if there is something about my head size combined with shape that has allowed them to be so comfortable.

To people complaining about Warzone sounding awful with Tempest turned on; duh. That's gonna be just as bad with any other headphone as it's an issue Activision needs to resolve.

Regarding connectivity; the combination of the bandwidth required for lossless audio and 2.4GHz being the most crowded spectrum in homes these days is an unfortunate combination. I've seen a lot of people with a specific brand of router having issues; I wonder if the Penrose just uses a single band by default that those routers tend to as well.

Also to anyone confused, the connectivity issues people have are with the lossless 2.4GHz, not Bluetooth. Bluetooth range is similar to my MTW and a bit better than the pixel buds.

I believe the convenience of a small dongle is the main issue here; without a large antenna it seems it simply won't work in some people's setups who use whatever that specific brand or model of mesh router is. Mine sits directly next to (4 inches away) from a Google Wifi puck and the range is as advertised. Not trying to diminish the bad experience *any of you* are having, but I do wish to point out that many of you who are having issues are quick to blame Audeze (as their dongle isn't attached to a large antenna) when the issue is just as much on you, due to the products you use that occupy the same space.

edit: originally my plan was to ask people if they've messed much with the EQ; I need to take the time some weekend to look at the freq response on these and create some presets but I just haven't taken the time to yet. Only played about an hour of Cyberpunk yesterday and still haven't played anything today. whoops.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #3,563 of 7,191
Yup, that's what it's been set on the whole time. It's very strange and frustrating the way the 7P + 3D audio combo presents these nearby sounds. Maybe it's a Fortnite issue with the 3D audio, but the plane Jane Sony headphones allow me to locate sounds with much more accuracy in the same game.
That stinks. Look like I may just be returning both these and going back to the Sennheiser game one and the mixamp. I will be using the 7p tonight in a bit and will follow up. I already decided that I am returning the Penrose as they just feel cheap and are super uncomfortable.I will take some comparison pics too.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #3,564 of 7,191
I believe the convenience of a small dongle is the main issue here; without a large antenna it seems it simply won't work in some people's setups who use whatever that specific brand or model of mesh router is. Mine sits directly next to (4 inches away) from a Google Wifi puck and the range is as advertised. Not trying to diminish the bad experience *any of you* are having, but I do wish to point out that many of you who are having issues are quick to blame Audeze (as their dongle isn't attached to a large antenna) when the issue is just as much on you, due to the products you use that occupy the same space.
I think most of us understand that any wireless stability is very YMMV depending on how congested our 2.4ghz airspace is. However, many of us (including myself) have also spoken to Audeze that we are not having any similar issue with other 2.4ghz wireless headsets such as the Arctis 7p and Pulse 3D. I can’t imagine going back to those headphones after using the Penrose for the past ten days, but if wireless stability doesn’t improve to be competitive with other similar headsets, I won’t have a choice.

Audeze engineers said that the dongle does not stay on one channel, so I can’t simply manually set my mesh WiFi to a separate channel that doesn’t overlap. Restarting my router every time I want to use headphones is inconvenient and I’ve tested time and again that I don’t have any such issues with the Arctis 7p. Audeze has stated that their engineers are looking at this so I am hopeful it can be addressed. For everyone else with a stable connection, these headphones are awesome. I am no longer having comfort issues anymore either after stretching them out several nights in a row. It just makes it all the more annoying when I experience so many dropouts that I have to switch to the Arctis 7p (no dropouts but I just can’t stand the audio quality anymore after becoming so used to the Penrose, especially after some equalization).

I am rooting for Audeze and I hope the Penrose can be successful. I think they just need to iron out some issues that was probably missed in a more controlled testing environment and all signs point to that happening.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #3,565 of 7,191
no wifi problems here. Almost everything in my place uses 2.4Ghz

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #3,566 of 7,191
I’m also not having any WiFi problems but I only sit 9-10 feet away from my console. I haven’t tested the range either. I haven’t had one connection drop and have a ton of smart home stuff. I probably just jinxed myself though.

For PS5, I wish there was a way to quickly toggle 3D audio on and off. They should allow you to map certain settings to the home bar.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #3,567 of 7,191
That stinks. Look like I may just be returning both these and going back to the Sennheiser game one and the mixamp. I will be using the 7p tonight in a bit and will follow up. I already decided that I am returning the Penrose as they just feel cheap and are super uncomfortable.I will take some comparison pics too.
I really wanted to like the 7Ps as they are extremely comfortable and have incredible battery life, but I've never before had the experience of a pair of headphones messing with my gameplay the way these did. Something in the combo of 7P + Tempest + Fortnite is really off.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #3,568 of 7,191
I think most of us understand that any wireless stability is very YMMV depending on how congested our 2.4ghz airspace is. However, many of us (including myself) have also spoken to Audeze that we are not having any similar issue with other 2.4ghz wireless headsets such as the Arctis 7p and Pulse 3D. I can’t imagine going back to those headphones after using the Penrose for the past ten days, but if wireless stability doesn’t improve to be competitive with other similar headsets, I won’t have a choice.

Audeze engineers said that the dongle does not stay on one channel, so I can’t simply manually set my mesh WiFi to a separate channel that doesn’t overlap. Restarting my router every time I want to use headphones is inconvenient and I’ve tested time and again that I don’t have any such issues with the Arctis 7p. Audeze has stated that their engineers are looking at this so I am hopeful it can be addressed. For everyone else with a stable connection, these headphones are awesome. I am no longer having comfort issues anymore either after stretching them out several nights in a row. It just makes it all the more annoying when I experience so many dropouts that I have to switch to the Arctis 7p (no dropouts but I just can’t stand the audio quality anymore after becoming so used to the Penrose, especially after some equalization).

I am rooting for Audeze and I hope the Penrose can be successful. I think they just need to iron out some issues that was probably missed in a more controlled testing environment and all signs point to that happening.

(wrong, the 7p does indeed use the lossless dongle which also has a larger footprint and a cable which allows you to move it away from your source) You conveniently ignore the fact that the 7p and the Pulse 3D *do not* use lossless audio.

The bitrate they are sending is much lower, and thus requires lower bandwidth. This is a big part of why the little antenna doesn't perform as well for the Penrose as it would for the lossy signal for those two.

It also could be a poor antenna design of course; I have no knowledge of the design in the dongle. The point stands that they aren't pushing out nearly as much data as the penrose.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,569 of 7,191
You conveniently ignore the fact that the 7p and the Pulse 3D *do not* use lossless audio.

The bitrate they are sending is much lower, and thus requires lower bandwidth. This is a big part of why the little antenna doesn't perform as well for the Penrose as it would for the lossy signal for those two.

It also could be a poor antenna design of course; I have no knowledge of the design in the dongle. The point stands that they aren't pushing out nearly as much data as the penrose.

https://steelseries.com/blog/arctis-7p-wireless-headset-features-price-371

The 7p is lossless

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #3,570 of 7,191
That's the nature of the Internet. Those with no issues have no reason to come here and post.

Lol, I haven't been back in a while so I'll post my positive experience, sorry if it's a bit incoherent.

I have been enjoying my Penrose with almost daily use (since 11/31) in conjunction with work and play. 8 hours a day for work with the dongle in the back of an iMac (calls and chat) and simultaneous bluetooth to a Windows laptop (music/youtube for my sanity). Several hours gaming with dongle plugged into Desktop PC with Discord running (I now have the best sounding mic in my friends list). Still waiting on a PS5 to test.

I have a big head (7 3/4+ hard to find good fitted caps most of the time) and my only issue with comfort are my big ears, I wish the cups were a little larger. Clamping force was perfect for me out of the box, I'm sorry to hear there are so many experiencing discomfort. I do experience a random "Connected" and crackles/pops occasionally but it is quite infrequent (I'm usually within 8ft of my devices at all times).

Sound quality is absolutely fantastic (with or without EQ). Wireless convenience means they're getting more use than my M1060/Schiit stack combo and I don't feel I'm missing much. I had an Arctis 7 exclusively for gaming, but gave them to a friend a week after I got the Penrose. The Penrose are in a difference league for audio quality. I'd actually love to see a comparison between them and the Drop Panda's.

Writing this post as I just finished a 7 hour gaming session and immediately cued up some music while reading through forums, been wearing them for 9 hours with no connectivity issues. Loving my Penrose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back