Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #3,346 of 7,191
There have been several questions asking for this information here, not all of us are sweaty about high fidelity. Not all of us need to walk around our house wearing headphones. Not all of us need to connect to multiple devices. Not all of us need to know one speaker is 1 db louder than the other.
Some of us just want to spatial resolution and pinpoint accuracy in regards to soundstage and dont care about accuracy. This has not been addressed here. All I see are a lot of people who are casual gamers and people using these for multipurpose. Dziekuje
He was being sarcastic...If you really care about imaging and soundstage above all else, you wouldn't be buying a bunch of wireless closed-backs anyways. You would use something like K7-- series.

Also, not trying to be a dick but just about any halfway decent headphone will work for competitive FPS games. Note: I say this as someone who plays probably one of the most sound-whoring games around (Escape from Tarkov). The actual reality is 85% of your ability to identify enemy positions comes from the sound processing on the game engine side, with another 10% coming from having familiarity whatever cans you use. Imaging and soundstage of your headphone makes maybe a 5% difference at best. If you look at pro scenes, dozens of CSGO pros wear trash IEMS under their sponsored cans at tournaments and they still win money.

Seriously, if you really think your headphones matter that much go buy a pair of KSC 75 ($15), give yourself like a week to get used to them, and compare your K/D. I can guarantee it won't be significantly different.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #3,347 of 7,191
So my Penrose kicked the bucket on Monday and I sent an RMA request. The 30 day return period ends on the 18th. I really hope I can get a replacement so
He was being sarcastic...If you really care about imaging and soundstage above all else, you wouldn't be buying a bunch of wireless closed-backs anyways. You would use something like K7-- series.

Also, not trying to be a dick but just about any halfway decent headphone will work for competitive FPS games. Note: I say this as someone who plays probably one of the most sound-whoring games around (Escape from Tarkov). The actual reality is 85% of your ability to identify enemy positions comes from the sound processing on the game engine side, with another 10% coming from having familiarity whatever cans you use. Imaging and soundstage of your headphone makes maybe a 5% difference at best. If you look at pro scenes, dozens of CSGO pros wear trash IEMS under their sponsored cans at tournaments and they still win money.

Seriously, if you really think your headphones matter that much go buy a pair of KSC 75 ($15), give yourself like a week to get used to them, and compare your K/D. I can guarantee it won't be significantly different.
Agree to disagree. I have about 14 different headset laying here from the cheap monoprice ones all the way to Sennheiser hd600. They each have unique positioning capabilities and Soundstage. I am looking for fully functional headphones with the ps5, right now my Sennheiser game one and MixAmp are not fully functional. I cannot decrease my mic volume or the volume of the people in the lobby/game. I have tried every possible setting, slider and setup with it. I have the optical going to my 48 oled cx series. That's why I am here, and that's why the open backed headphones do not work for my situation. I have three bad choices right now. The playstation headphones, the 7p or the Penrose.

Dec 16, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #3,349 of 7,191
Agree to disagree. I have about 14 different headset laying here from the cheap monoprice ones all the way to Sennheiser hd600. They each have unique positioning capabilities and Soundstage. I am looking for fully functional headphones with the ps5, right now my Sennheiser game one and MixAmp are not fully functional. I cannot decrease my mic volume or the volume of the people in the lobby/game. I have tried every possible setting, slider and setup with it. I have the optical going to my 48 oled cx series. That's why I am here, and that's why the open backed headphones do not work for my situation. I have three bad choices right now. The playstation headphones, the 7p or the Penrose.

Yeah, no TV is going to take feedback from an optical out and push that back through HDMI.

Have you tried pulling the audio out of the hdmi signal from your PS5 using something like the device linked below? Looks like it’s even made specifically for your mix amp. The problem is I doubt it has the HDMI 2.1 chipset needed for 4k/120hz though. Shame Sony doesn’t support 1440p resolution as the CX can take a native 1440p/120hz signal, and if that device can do 4k/60 pass through it could do 1440p/120. Really odd choice by Sony tbh...the PS5 hardware is much better suited for 1440p/120 than 4k/120 in most games anyways. I digress, but I would seriously look for devices similar to this. One with HDMI 2.1 support would be ideal for the PS5.

https://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-HDMI-Adapter-Playstation-5/dp/B08F2HKLB3

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #3,350 of 7,191

disagree 100%

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #3,351 of 7,191
Have had the Penrose for a week now, mainly playing on PC but also some music from my phone via BT.
I updated the firmware as soon as they arrived so can't comment on the initial version.

As expected they sound great, very revealing, great low end - fast and deep bass.
When gaming my ability to locate sounds is way better than previous headphones.
Connection, both wireless and BT has been flawless with great range too. I'm using a USB extender out of the back of my PC so the dongle is on my desk.
Microphone sounds decent, takes some time to find the sweet spot gain-wise though.
I have noticed hiss when I am connected to wireless and BT simultaneously (light blue led). I usually need to switch to wireless only then restart them to get rid of it. Doesn't always happen either.
Overall I'm really happy with them.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #3,352 of 7,191
Hi

Have you noticed that if you're connected by BT that the headphones will auto power-off quite aggressively, after 20 or 30 minutes. I think it's because I'm not using for music or game but also for work/skype calls, which can have periods of half hour or so not being used. Frustratingly too when reconnected over BT the microphone defaults to "off" in the control panel.
Audeze UK offering to process as a faulty product and exchange/refund - so that is generous and a welcome response. But it seems excessive as this seems to be more of a software / decision around power down causing the disconnection rather than a fault.

What do you think?

Chris

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #3,354 of 7,191
Have had the Penrose for a week now, mainly playing on PC but also some music from my phone via BT.
I updated the firmware as soon as they arrived so can't comment on the initial version.

As expected they sound great, very revealing, great low end - fast and deep bass.
When gaming my ability to locate sounds is way better than previous headphones.
(...)

Hi Mark !

I'd like to know if you're using any spatialization software (Dolby, Waves NX, Sonic, ...) on your PC in order such a good result ?

Thank you for your feedback! :thumbsup:
David

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #3,355 of 7,191
Yeah, no TV is going to take feedback from an optical out and push that back through HDMI.

Have you tried pulling the audio out of the hdmi signal from your PS5 using something like the device linked below? Looks like it’s even made specifically for your mix amp. The problem is I doubt it has the HDMI 2.1 chipset needed for 4k/120hz though. Shame Sony doesn’t support 1440p resolution as the CX can take a native 1440p/120hz signal, and if that device can do 4k/60 pass through it could do 1440p/120. Really odd choice by Sony tbh...the PS5 hardware is much better suited for 1440p/120 than 4k/120 in most games anyways. I digress, but I would seriously look for devices similar to this. One with HDMI 2.1 support would be ideal for the PS5.

https://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-HDMI-Adapter-Playstation-5/dp/B08F2HKLB3
Yes, I have looked for an adapter and there are currently no adapter with HDMI2.1 that exist. I even checked the high 200+ dollar adapters and they all max at 18gbps.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #3,357 of 7,191
So how many hours do they have?

People say 8 hours
Audeze 15 hours

I'd be interested in this as well. The plan is to use them for music/video conference calls during the day and gaming after work. It would suck if they couldn't even last a working day on a charge.

Would it be bad to leave them plugged in, charging a lot? By bad, I mean for the battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back