Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #3,167 of 7,191
Well it seems Royal Mail have exceeded expectations - my Penrose has arrived at the local depot and is due for delivery today - can't wait to try them out and comment back :)

**edit - already here, quickly tested for comfort and now charging ready for firmware updating and a day of Music and PS5 testing!

lucky git, I’m stuck shopping with the missus and will miss the delivery today, probably

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #3,169 of 7,191
@Audeze on twitter you put out a tweet saying you guys are confident that penrose x customers will recieve their headsets before xmas. Is this the case with customers who ordered from scan and hifiheadphones in the uk?

lol of course not. They said they‘d ship them out two weeks ago.It’s always next week. Maybe til the end of january.
Just my thoughts. Really can’t stand these next week statements.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #3,170 of 7,191
dhl dropped mine off an hour ago from hifiheadphones. first 10 min impressions the range on wireless is pretty trash but ill get an extension to position it better for my entire house.
do we still need to message audeze for firmware or did they release it yet ? The mic without new firmware is for sure horrid.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #3,171 of 7,191
dhl dropped mine off an hour ago from hifiheadphones. first 10 min impressions the range on wireless is pretty trash but ill get an extension to position it better for my entire house.
do we still need to message audeze for firmware or did they release it yet ? The mic without new firmware is for sure horrid.
The firmware is included in the Audeze HQ Windows app which you can get from the website.

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #3,172 of 7,191
updated the firmware. and its all fairly good range is bad but ive extended it and can cover my whole flat now so no issues there. but the mic is so bad even after the firmware to the point that i put my mobius mic on instead and its a vast improvement

anyone removed the earcups on the mobius to put them on i cant figure out how the unclip im pulling at the tab on the side of it as it looks like thats where its intended but no luck .

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #3,174 of 7,191
They have wifi analyzer apps to see what's channels are being used by what. Or would the Penrose not show up on these because it's not a "wifi" signal?
Unfortunately, most wireless networks that attempt to "automatically" set their channel based on activity do an incredibly poor job. Standard wifi analyzer utilities can only detect other WLAN (802.11) APs and devices, such as other wireless networks and SSIDs. They cannot detect other RF activity such as microwaves, since they do not conform to 802.11 protocol.

I’m not sure if these wireless transmitters conform to the 802.11 AP protocol. When I check WiFi analyzer, I do see a couple “unknown” SSIDs but I have no way of knowing if it’s the Penrose or not. Also, they tend to be on the same channel as where all my neighbors SSIDs are (11), so even if I change my own WiFi (channel 1) it doesn’t matter since I can’t change the Penrose channel. If I could just change it to 7 or something I think the connection could be a lot better.

Im so torn on these headphones. I used them for another two hours last night and got plenty of interference, even after restarting my WiFi. I only got 2 disconnects in the hour but plenty of smalll dropouts and static. Still better than when I first got them but it’s pretty distracting. Did some more A/B with the Arctis, and though the latter definitely sound inferior, it’s also nice how they’re just so much more comfortable and suffer no disconnects ever no matter where I go on my first floor. The Penrose disconnect reliably as soon as I leave the vicinity of my living room.

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #3,175 of 7,191
updated the firmware. and its all fairly good range is bad but ive extended it and can cover my whole flat now so no issues there. but the mic is so bad even after the firmware to the point that i put my mobius mic on instead and its a vast improvement

anyone removed the earcups on the mobius to put them on i cant figure out how the unclip im pulling at the tab on the side of it as it looks like thats where its intended but no luck .

You sure about that? All other data points indicate the Penrose mic is a significant improvement over the Mobius mic.

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #3,176 of 7,191
Mine have been delivered, great service by HifiHeadphones.

Firmware update done, and I'll be comparing them directly with my Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm with a Fiio K3 DAC/AMP, so not exactly a bad set up :smiley:

Clamping force is definitely more than my Beyers, I can actually feel the slight pressure created within the cups - vs the open backed Beyers this will take a little time to get used to!

With the dongle on the front PS5 port, I can get to the other side of my house before it disconnects, and well into the next room over with just a hint of crackle.

Mic: with a quick couple of recordings in Audacity, oh my it's good. Extremely clear, no muffledness at all. Might have to play around with mic settings on the PS5, as you have the PS5 level and the headset level to adjust.

Now, sound - playing a couple of songs back to back on PC via with my Beyers, the Penrose have a bit less punch in terms of bass on first impressions, and they're not as detailed in the highs (which the beyers are known for), but it's going to take a bit more listening to really get used to them. The Penrose do NOT sound bad, far from it, I might add. They seem to excel in the mids, and everything is very well controlled, the bass is tight, mids are very well detailed. If you were coming from a 'normal' set of gaming headphones, you would be blown away...

They sound different to the Beyers, which is good - I won't be using these for music that much, they will be for gaming 90% of the time.

I think part of the sound difference I'm hearing is open vs closed back, I've not listened to a set of closed back headphones for probably 10+ years (Fidelio X1 since 2013, then the beyers since May this year.

I've very happy though, comfort seems good even with the increased clamping force

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,177 of 7,191
Finally got these! can’t fault Hifiheadphones . Excellent customer service throughout.

Tested these out for a couple of hours playing Battlefield 1, I think they’re awesome. Clamping force is fine for me, top of my head is also fine. Using these without the Firmware update and find the niggles very minor. Very pleased so far.
The blue colour isn’t great TBH, would be better to have the PlayStation more royal blue or whatever it’s called. I’m not fussed by the colour though really. Overall I’m chuffed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back