Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 5, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,731 of 7,191
At my point of view(or listening...) the difference bettwen the left and right side is more regard the headphone construction than sound balance.
I dont know you guys, but when I just put the headphone I can fell the isolation from the Right side is higher/better than the left side.
From the left ear I can hear more things from outside which will cause I considerable difference in sound when listening.

i believe this is my experience too, is the solution to change one of the pads?

its not overwhelming that I can feel it all the time, but its there.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,732 of 7,191
What would the wired/wirelsss setup look like for the PS5? Could I use the wireless dongle for the main audio and the aux cable for the mic? Would the mic being plugged into my controller still be considered “wired” since the controller itself is wireless?

Thanks for any info.
You can connect the Aux just for the mic, and use wireless on PC. Just remember the Penrose automatically switches to Aux when plugging in a cable so you have to press the multi function button to switch back to wireless. Make sure main audio is the Penrose, and mic device is whatever you have it plugged into.

On PS5, the controller is not a wired connection, so it's gonna sound as limited as the Penrose mic in wireless mode.

Also on PS5 you have to set main audio to the Penrose. Then go to the bottom quick menu with the PS button press, and go to the mic, and switch that to your current mic device. If you try to swap mic device in the main system settings, it'll also change your main audio. So you MUST use the sub menu of the PS button press and go to the mic icon and change the source there.

Right now, I can't exactly get the G6 to pick up the mic, however.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,733 of 7,191
Update on the crackling/popping issue I’ve been experiencing: I just got a 3-ft USB 2.0 extension cable that I’ve plugged in to the front USB port of my PS5 and, so far, in my very limited sample size of 10 minutes or so of testing, it seems to have helped dramatically. I need to play more tonight to see if it’s completely solved the problem, but it seems to at least have cut back on the amount of interference I’ve been getting quite a bit.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,734 of 7,191
Hey everyone! New member here. Super excited and I had no idea that there was an actually forum dedicated to Headphones!

Quick question from someone who is not all audio savvy like most of you: I want to get the Penrose X headphones (Great review by the way MLE) but I'm curious do these headphones support all the gaming audio formats on both PS5 and Xbox Series X? I know for PS5 you have 3D Audio and Xbox you have Dolby Atmos and DTS (which you have to purchase the license for) and windows sonic Audio. I want to make sure before I buy them that they support all these audio formats. Also, do they give you full virtual surround sound? I know it's not actual 5.1 or 7.1 as the headset takes the sound and converts it into the 2 drivers but I'm curious if you still get that same sound. I know my gold wireless headset says 7.1 virtual surround sound...do I get that with the Penrose X?

I know this is a loaded question but I figure this is the best place to ask it since I have a lot of audio gurus in here! Thanks in advance!

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,735 of 7,191
Hey everyone! New member here. Super excited and I had no idea that there was an actually forum dedicated to Headphones!

Quick question from someone who is not all audio savvy like most of you: I want to get the Penrose X headphones (Great review by the way MLE) but I'm curious do these headphones support all the gaming audio formats on both PS5 and Xbox Series X? I know for PS5 you have 3D Audio and Xbox you have Dolby Atmos and DTS (which you have to purchase the license for) and windows sonic Audio. I want to make sure before I buy them that they support all these audio formats. Also, do they give you full virtual surround sound? I know it's not actual 5.1 or 7.1 as the headset takes the sound and converts it into the 2 drivers but I'm curious if you still get that same sound. I know my gold wireless headset says 7.1 virtual surround sound...do I get that with the Penrose X?

I know this is a loaded question but I figure this is the best place to ask it since I have a lot of audio gurus in here! Thanks in advance!
Yes

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,736 of 7,191

Yes it'll support both. Any headphone or headset will support all audio formats, as that is done by the console and converted to something all headphones use, which is analog audio. All of these kinds of processing techs convert their surrounds to highly processed stereo that is tailor made for headphones.

There is no Dolby Atmos, or Tempest 3D audio, or DTS-X, Sonic, etc that DOESN'T do this.

True 7.1 or 5.1 headsets are rare, and almost always utterly inferior to regular headphones. None of these new technologies are made for those.

Remember, we only have two ears. So these technologies emulate how ears pick up actual 7.1 or 5.1, and does the conversion to 2 channels before it reaches your ears. It still will sound like real surround.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,737 of 7,191
Yes it'll support both. Any headphone or headset will support all audio formats, as that is done by the console and converted to something all headphones use, which is analog audio. All of these kinds of processing techs convert their surrounds to highly processed stereo that is tailor made for headphones.

There is no Dolby Atmos, or Tempest 3D audio, or DTS-X, Sonic, etc that DOESN'T do this.

Awesome thank you for clearing this up for me MLE. I mainly play single player games so I'm looking for a headset that really gives me immersive directional audio, but something that is also that has decent chat/mic sound for the few times I play multiplayer with friends. With the Penrose X supporting all consoles (I have a Switch,Series X and PS5) this sounds like the headset to get! And thanks for letting me know with the new firmware that the whooshing sound is pretty much non existent! Good to hear!

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,738 of 7,191
I have a question regarding Bluetooth and wireless mode (regular Penrose).

when I tried to play on my PS5 in wireless mode, it worked great. The second I introduced Bluetooth connection to my phone (to talk to my friends via discord), the game audio was nearly dead silent and my friends were really loud. As far as I could tell, there was no way to mix how loud the ps5 audio is vs Bluetooth. Any ideas?

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #2,739 of 7,191
i believe this is my experience too, is the solution to change one of the pads?

its not overwhelming that I can feel it all the time, but its there.

For me its really annoying this feeling... I`m pretty upset.

By the way, after you saying change the pads I took a look at mine and took mesurements... for me the the right side is cleary bigger in height than the left side and that's why the isolation is better. Take mesurements at yours

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #2,740 of 7,191
Signed up for these forums to leave my own feedback / thoughts on the Audeze Penrose.

TD;LR: Great on PS5, issues on PC holding them back from being amazing.

My brother and I both ordered an Audeze Penrose, we've wanted to cut the cord for awhile now and the PS5 gave us an excuse to treat ourselves. That said, we both came into this expecting to use the headset with our PCs as well, and sadly like others have reported the microphone is not playing nice with Discord. It's not outright terrible... but it isn't what I would expect from a headset in this price range. The fact the mic reportedly sounds good in other software + on console gives me hope the issue can be resolved in a firmware update. Though, I must admit I have an XLR mic and have not tried the headsets mic within OBS. I'll have to do that just for the sake of trying.

Unlike most (I imagine) I have had to reroute audio from a GO.XLR into the wireless headset, after a bit of tinkering and ordering a few things to make it work perfectly for my needs I am satisfied with the results. One minor annoyance is having to redo the "Listen to this device" step every time I switch the headset away from the PC (Plug it into the PS5 for example). It would be nice if I didn't have to repeat that process every time... but I'm not sure firmware can fix that or if they will care enough for such a niche use-case.

I wrote a setup guide on Reddit, here is the link to that...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/k6xw45/goxlr_wireless_headset_headphones_setup_guide/

Other things I've noticed on PC:

• popping noises every now and again
  • "wavy / wooshy" type noise with low dialogue volume and no music in the background

Disappointments:

• The voice that screams at you for power on / off and "connected" is far too loud
  • No "steps" when turning up the volume. The only indictor you get is at max. Where are the 0 - 75% beeps?
  • Battery life seems a little light for power users that work at their desk all day (This is a nitpick)
  • Why does the mic volume knob exist?
---------------

Bottom line I have them and spent an extra $50 CAD in taxes for it crossing the border... so regardless of the problems I am keeping the headset and hoping some firmware update fix the few issues they have while being used on a PC. None of the issues I experienced on PC cropped up while playing on the PS5.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,742 of 7,191
I have a question regarding Bluetooth and wireless mode (regular Penrose).

when I tried to play on my PS5 in wireless mode, it worked great. The second I introduced Bluetooth connection to my phone (to talk to my friends via discord), the game audio was nearly dead silent and my friends were really loud. As far as I could tell, there was no way to mix how loud the ps5 audio is vs Bluetooth. Any ideas?

Keep bugging Audeze. They seem to claim there is nothing they can do but I'm not buying it. It's an advertised feature that apparently wasn't tested or was accepted as is. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to control how much volume from 1 source is mixed with the other source.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #2,743 of 7,191
Signed up for these forums to leave my own feedback / thoughts on the Audeze Penrose.

TD;LR: Great on PS5, issues on PC holding them back from being amazing.

My brother and I both ordered an Audeze Penrose, we've wanted to cut the cord for awhile now and the PS5 gave us an excuse to treat ourselves. That said, we both came into this expecting to use the headset with our PCs as well, and sadly like others have reported the microphone is not playing nice with Discord. It's not outright terrible... but it isn't what I would expect from a headset in this price range. The fact the mic reportedly sounds good in other software + on console gives me hope the issue can be resolved in a firmware update. Though, I must admit I have an XLR mic and have not tried the headsets mic within OBS. I'll have to do that just for the sake of trying.

Unlike most (I imagine) I have had to reroute audio from a GO.XLR into the wireless headset, after a bit of tinkering and ordering a few things to make it work perfectly for my needs I am satisfied with the results. One minor annoyance is having to redo the "Listen to this device" step every time I switch the headset away from the PC (Plug it into the PS5 for example). It would be nice if I didn't have to repeat that process every time... but I'm not sure firmware can fix that or if they will care enough for such a niche use-case.

I wrote a setup guide on Reddit, here is the link to that...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/k6xw45/goxlr_wireless_headset_headphones_setup_guide/

Other things I've noticed on PC:

• popping noises every now and again
  • "wavy / wooshy" type noise with low dialogue volume and no music in the background

Disappointments:

• The voice that screams at you for power on / off and "connected" is far too loud
  • No "steps" when turning up the volume. The only indictor you get is at max. Where are the 0 - 75% beeps?
  • Battery life seems a little light for power users that work at their desk all day (This is a nitpick)
  • Why does the mic volume knob exist?
---------------

Bottom line I have them and spent an extra $50 CAD in taxes for it crossing the border... so regardless of the problems I am keeping the headset and hoping some firmware update fix the few issues they have while being used on a PC. None of the issues I experienced on PC cropped up while playing on the PS5.

Have you tried turning off Echo Cancellation in Discord?

I did this and also upped the bitrate on my main server and everyone can hear me perfectly fine.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,744 of 7,191
Have you tried turning off Echo Cancellation in Discord?

I did this and also upped the bitrate on my main server and everyone can hear me perfectly fine.

My brother and I hear one another just fine. It just comes across as muffled and / or all detail in the voice vanishes. It's astounding just how different the mic on this headset sounds based on what you are using it on. While in a party on PS5 the mic sounds great (You couldn't ask for more), but on Discord it falls flat, big time. Having to change settings outside of what you would normally to try and make it sound better shouldn't be on us. I can hook up a $5 mic to the PC that sounds better over Discord than the Penrose. I shouldn't be saying that for how much we spent on it. I don't know who is at fault, but Audeze needs to investigate and resolve the issue for those who plan to use the headset on PC exclusively. For myself I have a nice XLR mic to use so it isn't the end of the world... but I'd still like to fall back on it or use it for calls where I want to leave my desk to stretch my legs.

Again, we hear one another just fine, nor is it expressly terrible... it just sounds like my brother is trying to talk through a sock and the result is a very dull voice with no weight behind it.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #2,745 of 7,191
Most of us use Mac as our main system and have been using Penrose in 2.4 GHz primarily. USB-C port on Macbook Pro to a USB-C to USB A Kingston adapter.
What is the model of the Mac ? And the OS version
2019 Macbook 16" with Catalina 10.15.7
I couldn't get to fix this issue even after putting dongle as close to macbook with a single C to A connector. Had to RMA them sadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back