Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,951 of 7,191
I'm currently using the PS5 with the sony wh-1000xm2 with a usb dongle (waiting for the penrose) in the default profile.
Miles Morales sounds fine with very good positional audio but Cold War sounded really dark, to me.
What USB dongle is compatible with the 1000xm2 that isn’t Bluetooth? The Sony headphones don’t support aptX low latency so they aren’t ideal for gaming, which is why I bought momentum 3.0 instead.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,952 of 7,191
Eh, I talk fine enough with voice chat without having to hear myself. In fact, sidetone is one of the most distracting options and I turn it off with everything that has it. I only turn it on to make sure a mic is working then immediately turn it off.

you just yell? How do you know how loud you’re talking?
I guess they shouldn’t have included it. Pretty much every gaming headset has it. At what point does this stop functioning as a gaming headset though?

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,953 of 7,191
i downloaded audeze hq app for windows.... and turned off side tone.... still got the wind noise/hiss sound. Only way to get rid is turn off mic =(

MGN9uy.png
Ok, so from this point on, I'll be testing the Penrose only with the mic on. This is good data to have.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,954 of 7,191
you just yell? How do you know how loud you’re talking?
I guess they shouldn’t have included it. Pretty much every gaming headset has it. At what point does this stop functioning as a gaming headset though?
Uh, Discord has a test audio feature, and PS5 also has a mic test option. That's all I need. I don't need to monitor my voice every second. Why anyone would want to constantly hear their own voice is something I can't understand. The slight delay between when I speak and when I hear the voice alone would ruin voice chat forever if it was always on.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,955 of 7,191
I generally don't EQ anything. I like the default sound profile of the Penrose well enough.

As for whooshing wind noise, I haven't had that issue, but then I haven't focused much on the mic and chat gaming. I did play Warzone today on PC and didn't notice it, but then I'm much too focused on the gameplay. I'll try and do more testing with the mic always on to see what everyone is talking about. I would never use Sidetone, so if that's the cause, I definitely recommend turning it off.

I hear the wooshing with the mic and sidetone off. Try listening to a soft piano track.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,956 of 7,191
I hear the wooshing with the mic and sidetone off. Try listening to a soft piano track.
I did. And I hear it. It's faint, but it's there. But I can't say it's distracting on my end. It's too low to be a problem for me. This is why I wanna hear if it gets worse with the mic on.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,957 of 7,191
I did. And I hear it. It's faint, but it's there. But I can't say it's distracting on my end. It's too low to be a problem for me. This is why I wanna hear if it gets worse with the mic on.
Here’s the thing, at least for me, though, when listening at low volume the hissing is nearly as loud as the sound before it.

The hissing also varies in intensity each time I start up my headset. It’s very weird.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,958 of 7,191
I'm not saying the Penrose doesn't have an issue. It clearly does.

I'm saying that the PS5 menu sounds are not a good example, as theyre just bad in general. Press circle a bunch of times in the ps5 menu. You'll hear the sound just distort horribly with ANY headphone.

PS5 needs a LOT of work on the sound front. Borked 3D audio, and hissy, distorted menus are just some of the PS5s current issues.

Don't even get me started on HDR issues, baffling menu decisions, party chat buried deep, and other really bad calls from Sony.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,959 of 7,191
What USB dongle is compatible with the 1000xm2 that isn’t Bluetooth? The Sony headphones don’t support aptX low latency so they aren’t ideal for gaming, which is why I bought momentum 3.0 instead.
You are completely right that they aren't ideal, which is why I pre-ordered the penrose.

With that said, I'm using this -- https://us.creative.com/p/accessories/creative-bluetooth-audio-bt-w2-usb-transceiver

In 30 fps material, I sense no lag, but with 60fps I think it's very slightly off.

Edit: On the topic of the tempest audio: doesn't seem like it works well with ps4 games, it really muffles the sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #1,960 of 7,191
Sidetone is a feature. Having it is necessary to me, especially for closed back headsets that have any kind of seal. How do you voice chat without yelling otherwise?

The default pads don't provide any sort of soundproof seal, so I don't find it hard to use them without sidetone. Of course, if you want sidetone you can enable it. You will get a noticeably higher noise floor though. The mic has a constant hiss that is not affected by adjusting microphone gain AFAICT.

At least Audeze has said that they will add a button combo for turning sidetone on & off, which may make it more usable. You can turn it on when you need it and turn it off the rest of the time.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,961 of 7,191
So what is the point of keeping my pre-order? It sounds like this thing has way too many hardware/software issues, it's not comfortable to wear, lacking features that cheaper headphones have, it's ugly, the way they're handling shipping is terrible, the delays were extreme, and most people in here just seem unhappy with the product they received. Seriously guys... Please try to convince me to keep these because I really want a good pair of headphones to game with.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,962 of 7,191
Uh, Discord has a test audio feature, and PS5 also has a mic test option. That's all I need. I don't need to monitor my voice every second. Why anyone would want to constantly hear their own voice is something I can't understand. The slight delay between when I speak and when I hear the voice alone would ruin voice chat forever if it was always on.

that’s completely unnatural though. When you don’t hear your own voice you tell. Otherwise it would never have been invented. I wonder why they even included it....

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,963 of 7,191

There might be hardware variance at play here. Perhaps some headphones are worse than others?

That being said, I had my girlfriend have a listen and she couldn't notice it, lol.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,964 of 7,191
So what is the point of keeping my pre-order? It sounds like this thing has way too many hardware/software issues, it's not comfortable to wear, lacking features that cheaper headphones have, it's ugly, the way they're handling shipping is terrible, the delays were extreme, and most people in here just seem unhappy with the product they received. Seriously guys... Please try to convince me to keep these because I really want a good pair of headphones to game with.
You can cancel if you want, but keep in mind that the people that like the headset won't come here praising it.
I've seen people satisfied with it on resetera, for example.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,965 of 7,191
You are completely right that they aren't ideal, which is why I pre-ordered the penrose.

With that said, I'm using this -- https://us.creative.com/p/accessories/creative-bluetooth-audio-bt-w2-usb-transceiver

In 30 fps material, I sense no lag, but with 60fps I think it's very slightly off.
Ah I see. I find Bluetooth without aptX low latency impossible to game with due to the very obvious lag. It’s easy to check with tests such as this one:

Because of this, I currently use Momentum true wireless gen1 and momentum wireless headphones 3.0. They aren’t perfect (the MTW have so many issues with user experience) but they are the best headphones with aptX LL. I use them with genki adapter on switch as that supports aptX LL and a separate Bluetooth adapter for other things such as Oculus Quest (before I got a Frankenquest).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back