Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,923 of 7,191
This depends on other factors like interference, how crowded the spectrum as well. With just did a live stream on twitch with Penrose on PC and we had someone wear headphones and walk out of the room, a good 20 to 25 feet through walls etc.

I thought the Penrose was a PS5/Mac headset? The PS5 has issues with USB power. How about these preorders being a month late by the time they go out and arrive with ground shipping?

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,924 of 7,191
Something to note on ps5, 3D audio setting HEAVILY, HEAVILY distorts bass, like explosions.

Like it's REALLY noticeable. And it's on everything. Controller input, G6, Penrose, etc.

The moment you turn it off, it goes away.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,926 of 7,191
It's a shame, because it's really great for positional audio. But man... the quality needs some fixing.

Suffice to say, don't judge the Penrose on PS5 with 3D audio. It's usable and at times glorious, but in terms of compromises, sound quality is definitely one of them.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,928 of 7,191
New user but followed this thread for a long time. I don’t have much to add except that the whooshing is clear in my headset as well, and it’s probably a dealbreaker if it’s not fixable within the return window. It’s a shame because the mic was actually really good in my own use, and the sound quality (whoosh aside) is great.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,929 of 7,191
I know it's supposed to be different for everyone, but after tinkering with the 3D audio profile settings, type 4 sounded the closest to normal for me in games.
I'm 100% in agreement, and have been on Type 4 since day 1. The default type 3, 2, and 1 sounds like a mess, and Type 5 is marginally worse than 4.

As for 3D audio, I'm still going to use it at all times, but bass is a little crunchy, to say the least.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,931 of 7,191
I'm 100% in agreement, and have been on Type 4 since day 1. The default type 3, 2, and 1 sounds like a mess, and Type 5 is marginally worse than 4.

As for 3D audio, I'm still going to use it at all times, but bass is a little crunchy, to say the least.

On that note, have you found an EQ setting that you like most so far? I found that keeping the highs and lows at zero and subtracting a bit from the mids has given the cleanest overall sound, but the bass is obviously lacking a bit.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,932 of 7,191
Hi, new here... purchased a pre-order and i received my penrose (ps edition) yesterday.

However -- I am having an issue with it... and not sure if others are having the same problem.

It seems with the mic 'enabled' i hear this low wind noise or something... I tested on my PC, and on my macbook... and it happens on both systems.
Lowering the mic volume doesn't get rid of it...

The only way I can get rid of it is if I switch off the mic (toggle in downwards).

Does it sound like I have defected unit? Thanks everyone!

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,933 of 7,191
Surely the whole point of these headphones is for the 3D audio. I wouldn’t want to be turning that off.
That's a problem with everything, not just the Penrose. If you can live with the low bitrate sounding, crunchy bass, it's not that bad otherwise. Games like CoD highlight it most as grenades are constantly going off in multiplayer.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,934 of 7,191
Hi, new here... purchased a pre-order and i received my penrose (ps edition) yesterday.

However -- I am having an issue with it... and not sure if others are having the same problem.

It seems with the mic 'enabled' i hear this low wind noise or something... I tested on my PC, and on my macbook... and it happens on both systems.
Lowering the mic volume doesn't get rid of it...

The only way I can get rid of it is if I switch off the mic (toggle in downwards).

Does it sound like I have defected unit? Thanks everyone!

Try turning off the sidetone in the Audeze HQ app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back