Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,666 of 7,191
Got an email reply regarding the X:

“Thanks for reaching out, and for your purchase! We're still finalizing talks with Microsoft, but we expect to have more news very soon for Penrose X customers. Keep your eyes peeled for an update email from us in the next day or two with the latest news. We will definitely have units shipped before Christmas barring any more delays.”

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,667 of 7,191
Lmao this is pretty funny. Throwing out "maybe machine learning?" when we don't understand something is the new software engineer trend.

Actually...it is possible.

He may be using Nvidia's RTX Voice / Broadcast, which is an AI noise reduction filter. And it does have a plugin for OBS. My guess is that he is using some kind of filters in OBS, whether they are machine learning or not.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,669 of 7,191
fedex dropped off my penrose earlier and my first impressions while they charge is that the build quality is fairly solid. they don’t feel cheap at all and while the clamping force is somewhat tight as others have mentioned, they feel comfortable on my head even with glasses. looking forward to trying them out on the ps5 later tonight.

one question i do have @Audeze @KMann is about the charging. the user guide recommends using a 5v/1a charger (e.g. usb-a apple charger), but i was wondering if the penrose supports usb-c pd and if it’s okay to plug the penrose into higher wattage usb-c chargers?

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,670 of 7,191
I just checked my pre order and noticed it had a discount code on there, which I just tried and it still works. If anyone in the U.K. wants it then use the online distributor ‘hifiheadphones’ and add Ship5 as the code to get 5% off.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #1,671 of 7,191
I ordered the Penrose X on November 12th and I am certain there are many on this thread (months old) anxiously awaiting any shipping news. I am excited to receive it whenever I get it.

On November 17th, I received an email (from @Audeze) that says quote (a) "We've met all the requirements and have thoroughly tested the Penrose X units for compliance with Microsoft's approval process”, and (b) “The good news is that once we've received their approval we should be able to begin shipping out Penrose X very quickly”.

Yesterday on November 22nd, I noticed that the Penrose X sales page, https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset, now displays the official “Designed for Xbox” logo when it did not before (i.e. on or prior to November 21st). Displaying that logo on a product sales page indicates that it is officially licensed and is therefore approved by Microsoft (hope that Audeze didn’t elect to use/display the “Designed for Xbox” logo before receiving final partner program certification of the Penrose X from Microsoft).

I have not seen any "official" announcement indicating that Audeze has received approval from Microsoft regarding the Penrose X on the sales website, this forum/thread, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube or Reddit yet the official “Designed for Xbox” logo is now proudly displayed on the Penrose sales page.

@Audeze, your products sound great and the community of pre-ordering (i.e. pre-paying) customers would like your customer facing communications surrounding the Penrose and Penrose X to sound equally as great… Please be transparent and forthcoming with announcements, we all know this forum (and this thread in particular) is monitored by your staff.

Additionally, to @Audeze, I am pleased that Penrose (X) headset volume control from a PC is on the dev to-do list. What about battery power level notification?

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,672 of 7,191

They were forthcoming and got repeatedly burned for it by a few vocal minorities angry about not getting specific deadlines. It seems like they are now respecting the vocal minority and will communicate a deadline once they have one. Like me and a few others have said, people can't have it both way. Either they are transparent and provide moving updates or they wait until it's confirmed.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,673 of 7,191
This literally makes no sense. You should buy the most future proof version.
Only the Penrose is actually certified for the PS5 though. If you want to be future-proofed for PS5 use, the certified headset is safest. USB support on the PS5 is currently a mess; I should know, because I have not one, but two external USB drive enclosures that should work on the PS5, but don’t (despite both working perfectly on the PS4 Pro).

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,674 of 7,191
They were forthcoming and got repeatedly burned for it by a few vocal minorities angry about not getting specific deadlines. It seems like they are now respecting the vocal minority and will communicate a deadline once they have one. Like me and a few others have said, people can't have it both way. Either they are transparent and provide moving updates or they wait until it's confirmed.
Lmao I was told by an Audeze representative on Reddit and by phone call that my November order would ship the week of Nov. 23 (this week). That is AFTER they said on multiple sources that they would ship all pre-order Penrose units by the end of last week. They didn't even come close to that.

I called again today and now they say late October to November units are "hopeful" to ship by early December. I'm not banking on "hopeful" when that will be 1 month since PS5 release and we haven't even gotten to the poor Xbox owners.....

Audeze deserves every criticism regarding their shipping/fulfillment whether they have been transparent or not. I'm sure they have a good product in their hands but I just can't operating with a company acting like total rookies.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,675 of 7,191
Lmao I was told by an Audeze representative on Reddit and by phone call that my November order would ship the week of Nov. 23 (this week). That is AFTER they said on multiple sources that they would ship all pre-order Penrose units by the end of last week. They didn't even come close to that.

I called again today and now they say late October to November units are "hopeful" to ship by early December. I'm not banking on "hopeful" when that will be 1 month since PS5 release and we haven't even gotten to the poor Xbox owners.....

Audeze deserves every criticism regarding their shipping/fulfillment whether they have been transparent or not. I'm sure they have a good product in their hands but I just can't operating with a company acting like total rookies.

It’s almost like there is a global pandemic screwing over logistics for so many businesses around the world.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,677 of 7,191

I've read all publications/announcements by @Audeze related to the Penrose X for months and I believe they've generally done a good job relaying the status of Microsoft's approval until now. As an attentive consumer seeking new official information, I have no interest in nor wish to be involved with any vendor being "burned for [being forthcoming] by a few vocal minorities angry about not getting specific deadlines". To be clear, my understanding is that no deadline has ever communicated by @Audeze regarding when Microsoft would "approve" the Penrose X. Like I said in my post, I am excited to receive it whenever I get it.

Respectfully @amoeba1126, my post was mostly about @Audeze displaying the official “Designed for Xbox” logo on the Penrose X sales page as of yesterday. This is new and it's game time (i.e. customers who pre-ordered the Penrose and/or Penrose X now have a PS5 and/or Xbox Series X/S but don't have the headset). Regardless, @Audeze needs to make an announcement that the Penrose X is or is not approved by Microsoft now that they are using official “Designed for Xbox” logo on their website.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #1,680 of 7,191
Simple, don’t make promises you can’t keep. Pandemic has been happening for 9 months now.

You act like Audeze wants to be in this position where they are encountering delays after delays.

"Pandemic has been happening for 9 months now."
And the fact that it continues to cause logistic delays for companies all around the world. What is your point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back