Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,636 of 7,191
The EQ once loaded stays on Penrose even after a power cycle. However, you need to be connected via USB to see the current EQ.

I.e, If you use USB to set the EQ (and make sure the status bar on the right says it is connected), you also need to be connected via USB to see the EQ. The EQ is still active after you dis connect USB.
Ok I got it. Thank you for the reply!

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,637 of 7,191
Not in agreement. If you're not ever getting an Xbox, there's no reason to go for the X. The Penrose does everything the X does aside from Xbox functionality.

I have no reason to buy an Xbox since I play mainly on PC, and ps5 for exclusives. So why would I get an X for something I'll never have? For Green? Nah, I'd be fine with Blue and knowing there's 0% chance that it won't work in the future. I also don't spend enough time looking at the pad accents to spend money on charcoal because of color tastes. I reserved, you know, use the headset instead of looking at it.

This literally makes no sense. You should buy the most future proof version.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,638 of 7,191
This literally makes no sense. You should buy the most future proof version.
Future proof? What are you talking about? The X only matters IF you plan on getting an Xbox. If you don't, there's no reason. They both do the exact same thing otherwise.

I haven't bought an Xbox since 360 Elite. I'm pretty damn sure I'm not getting an Xbox. So if I were buying a Penrose, it'd be the non-X.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,639 of 7,191
Not in agreement. If you're not ever getting an Xbox, there's no reason to go for the X. The Penrose does everything the X does aside from Xbox functionality.

I have no reason to buy an Xbox since I play mainly on PC, and ps5 for exclusives. So why would I get an X for something I'll never have? For Green? Nah, I'd be fine with Blue and knowing there's 0% chance that it won't work in the future. I also don't spend enough time looking at the pad accents to spend money on charcoal because of color tastes. I reserved, you know, use the headset instead of looking at it.

Other than the principle of not paying the same price for a product with a subset of features, you double your resale audience in the event the 10+ issues I outlined above bother you enough to get rid of them. For example, an Apple+PS5 user rides the promise of a Mac/iOS app until after the 30-day return window, but the app never comes or doesn't work.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,640 of 7,191
Now you're talking about things past the point of intended use case. I'm not buying an Xbox branded anything to use for just my PC and Playstation. Don't be absurd. They do the same exact things aside from Xbox functionality. I have both on hand.

If all you care about is resale, then sure.

For Playstation/PC only players, getting the X model which MAY NOT work for PS5 in the future, THAT sounds absurd. We simply do not know if it's 100% impossible. Improbable, sure, impossible? We don't know. So don't buy things off hopes, and buy them on what's actually intended.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #1,641 of 7,191
Now you're talking about things past the point of intended use case. I'm not buying an Xbox branded anything to use for just my PC and Playstation. Don't be absurd. They do the same exact things aside from Xbox functionality. I have both on hand.

For Playstation/PC only players, getting the X model which MAY NOT work for PS5 in the future, THAT sounds absurd. We simply do not know if it's 100% impossible. Improbable, sure, impossible? We don't know. So don't buy things off hopes, and buy them on what's actually intended.

Your argument just doesn't stand. If it works, the Penrose was the wrong investment. Not sure why you're so defensive on this point. Because it makes Audeze possibly look bad? Plenty of people will end up owning both consoles.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,642 of 7,191
that’s a shame, i originally came across the penrose when looking into solutions for using discord while playing on a ps5. my headset is supposed to arrive today and i’m hoping it ends up working well enough for me.

and to give another shipping data point for others, i pre-ordered the regular penrose a little bit after mid-october and it shipped this past friday (the 20th) via fedex home delivery with direct signature required.
Yes it doesn't make any sense maybe @Audeze and @KMann may know why? The only way to get the volume back is to either disconnect bluetooth or unplug the USB dongle. Hopefully it may be something that Audeze can fix with a firmware update. I will say though I do love the Penrose as it sound is far better than any of the wireless gaming headsets I have tried before (HyperX, Arctis 7 and Pro, Razer BlackShark V2 Pro, Corsair Virtuoso and HS70, and Audio Technica ATH-G1WL).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #1,643 of 7,191

Once again, objectively false. Stop fearmongering, shill.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,644 of 7,191
Has there ever been officially licensed products that officially state functionality for rival platforms? Doubtful. So if anyone thinks this is some nefarious plan by Audeze, get real. Licensing agreements are real, and must be followed. This is why you see different versions of the same headsets by all main gaming headset makers. In terms of the Penrose X, they have the actual Xbox logo branding on the box. The regular Penrose doesn't have the PS logo. You can extrapolate that Audeze likely has specific licensing agreements with Microsoft for the X. Which is probably a reason why it's probably taking longer the the X to release.

While it might not be uncommon for console branded accessories to not state compatibility with competing consoles, it would be the first time I’ve seen MacOS support denied on a USB device due to a licensing agreement with Microsoft.

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #1,646 of 7,191
Did you get a official "your item has shipped" email from Audeze? Or do you just get a tracking number from FedEx out of the blue?

I never got an official email from @Audeze; very unprofessional IMO. I received shipping confirmation email from Fedex directly, could be via proxy. I also have it hooked up to the Shopify app. Delivery date says tomorrow, which is 4 days since I received my email, but the status has not changed since, "Shipping information sent." I have very little faith I'll get mine this week.

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,647 of 7,191
I'm still optimistic. People say they sound very good and there's still that lone YouTuber whose wireless Penrose sounds great. There's gotta be an answer to this muffled microphone issue. Just seems bizarre to advertise and show samples of good wireless microphone performance, and then it turns out to be among the worst I've ever heard with the recent customer samples lol.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,648 of 7,191
I'm still optimistic. People say they sound very good and there's still that lone YouTuber whose wireless Penrose sounds great. There's gotta be an answer to this muffled microphone issue. Just seems bizarre to advertise and show samples of good wireless microphone performance, and then it turns out to be among the worst I've ever heard with the recent customer samples lol.

Where are the samples of good wireless microphone performance? Are we sure the headset wasn't plugged in?

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,650 of 7,191
Where are the samples of good wireless microphone performance? Are we sure the headset wasn't plugged in?

This dude who appears to be new to headphones in general has the only review up on YT currently. He literally doesn't even have the ability to do a 3.5mm wired connection, so everything is wireless. He performs a test in reaper that sounds awful at the 4:05, but later records through OBS at the 15:27 and it's night and day. (He claims in the video at the 4:05 that he's wired but he misunderstood that the USB wire is not an actual audio connection).

I still don't understand it and this guy, bless his heart, is awful at getting to the bottom of stuff lol.

He just posted another video update today all through Penrose Wireless and it sounds great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back