Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #1,622 of 7,196
I have experienced this as well... If connected to my Phone (nothing playing) and connected to my PC via the USB dongle it does lower the sound a bit.

that’s a shame, i originally came across the penrose when looking into solutions for using discord while playing on a ps5. my headset is supposed to arrive today and i’m hoping it ends up working well enough for me.

and to give another shipping data point for others, i pre-ordered the regular penrose a little bit after mid-october and it shipped this past friday (the 20th) via fedex home delivery with direct signature required.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,623 of 7,196
@Audeze @KMann I have a quick question on how to save an eq preset? I set one up yesterday yet this morning when I turned on the Penrose and started the Audeze HQ PC app both Preset 1 and Preset 2 went back to the default EQ. I can only get the EQ to load onto the headphone once I hook up the Penrose through USB but if I turn off the headphones the EQ is not saved to the headphone. Thank you!

The EQ once loaded stays on Penrose even after a power cycle. However, you need to be connected via USB to see the current EQ.

I.e, If you use USB to set the EQ (and make sure the status bar on the right says it is connected), you also need to be connected via USB to see the EQ. The EQ is still active after you dis connect USB.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,624 of 7,196
Glad to hear those who actually have the product can back up the stellar sound quality claims.

Despite all the teething issues, an undeniably FANTASTIC sound quality will make the Penrose sell itself.

As for the Penrose X working on the PS5, Likely due to licensing agreements, Audeze can't officially state that the X which has the USB transmitter with Xbox support toggle switch can support the PS5. However, nothing is stopping general UAC1 devices from working with PS5, and the Penrose X toggle states Xbox on one side and PC on the other. The PC side is likely UAC1 USB mode, because at this moment it DOES work with PS5 as well.

So if you intend on owning both Xbox and PS5, the Penrose X is the logical choice. THAT BEING SAID, it doesn't mean that the ability to work on PS5 will always be there, so just a word of warning. If you plan on getting the Penrose X, consider the PS5 functionality as a nice bonus that isn't OFFICIALLY supported, and may not work down the line.

If you DON'T plan on owning on Xbox, SERIOUSLY, don't risk it, and just get the non-X model. If you DO plan on getting the Xbox, then yes, go for the X.

Has there ever been officially licensed products that officially state functionality for rival platforms? Doubtful. So if anyone thinks this is some nefarious plan by Audeze, get real. Licensing agreements are real, and must be followed. This is why you see different versions of the same headsets by all main gaming headset makers. In terms of the Penrose X, they have the actual Xbox logo branding on the box. The regular Penrose doesn't have the PS logo. You can extrapolate that Audeze likely has specific licensing agreements with Microsoft for the X. Which is probably a reason why it's probably taking longer the the X to release.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,625 of 7,196
I've been watching this thread for months and registered just to add my datapoint to the mix:

Type: Penrose (not X)
Ordered: Aug. 09

It's really disheartening to see people that ordered months after me getting theirs first. I understand that some delays are beyond Audeze's control, but this is especially frustrating since it's well within their control to fulfill orders based on the order they were received.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,626 of 7,196
I registered just to add my datapoint to the mix:

Type: Penrose (not X)
Ordered: Aug. 09

It's disheartening to see people that ordered months after me getting theirs first.
Well they did say they would ship ALL pre-order units by the end of last week (which was yesterday).

Seems like they haven't even come close.....frustrating.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,627 of 7,196
I ordered mine ages a go and I have to wait even longer then you guys because I am series X and in the uk I got told today certification will be this week but I highly doubt it I’ve been told this three times already. I know they have to wait for Microsoft but still it’s frustrating.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,628 of 7,196
Glad to hear those who actually have the product can back up the stellar sound quality claims.

Despite all the teething issues, an undeniably FANTASTIC sound quality will make the Penrose sell itself.

As for the Penrose X working on the PS5, Likely due to licensing agreements, Audeze can't officially state that the X which has the USB transmitter with Xbox support toggle switch can support the PS5. However, nothing is stopping general UAC1 devices from working with PS5, and the Penrose X toggle states Xbox on one side and PC on the other. The PC side is likely UAC1 USB mode, because at this moment it DOES work with PS5 as well.

So if you intend on owning both Xbox and PS5, the Penrose X is the logical choice. THAT BEING SAID, it doesn't mean that the ability to work on PS5 will always be there, so just a word of warning. If you plan on getting the Penrose X, consider the PS5 functionality as a nice bonus that isn't OFFICIALLY supported, and may not work down the line.

If you DON'T plan on owning on Xbox, SERIOUSLY, don't risk it, and just get the non-X model. If you DO plan on getting the Xbox, then yes, go for the X.

Has there ever been licensed products that officially state functionality for rival platforms? Doubtful. So if anyone thinks this is some nefarious plan by Audeze, get real. Licensing agreements are real, and must be followed.

This is just silly. Consider the Penrose X will somehow magically stop being a generic USB audio peripheral in the future? Impossible without intentional sabotage.

penrose_generic_audio.png

Buy the Penrose X -- it's guaranteed to work with both platforms.

The audio quality is great. As for the overall headset quality, I'm disappointed in its value as a headset for $300.

1) I continue to have intermittent connection issues: each time I power it back on, I have continuous connect/disconnect cycling until I power cycle the headset and unplug the dongle.
2) The range is ~15ft at best.
3) The microphone is muffled.
4) Windows system volume doesn't adjust/mute the audio.
5) They don't support Apple users (most users with an iphone use a Mac too, and no iOS/Mac app)
6) AudezeHQ has trouble connecting, usually requires a restart of the app after plugging the headphones back in.
7) No battery level measurement in the AudezeHQ app.
8) Penrose X is a superset of Penrose at the same price.
9) "Gamer aesthetic"
10) Execution on the logistics side was awful. Looking past the certification delays (out of their hands), they failed to deliver expedited shipping as promised and didn't assign priority by order date. Moreover, they chose a shipping option that required a signature in the middle of a global pandemic. My FedEx driver said, "Yeah, no. I'll sign it for you so you don't have to touch my signature pad and pen."

Should I continue?

There's potential here, and I understand that Audeze is a headphone company working their way into consumer electronics so I give them a lot of slack, but they have a long way to go yet.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,629 of 7,196
Intentional sabotage? I'm not even going to go there.

As PS5 is UAC1 compliant, I don't see HOW Microsoft or Audeze could block support, but if it WERE possible, Microsoft could likely and legally ask Audeze to kill support for PS5 on the X model.

In any case, I don't think Audeze would intentionally compete with itself. It doesn't make any sense. If anything stating functionality for EVERY console would be a fantastic bullet point, which they obviously can't state. Again, there is some legality here which is probably WHY they have to make separate models.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,630 of 7,196
This is just silly. Consider the Penrose X will somehow magically stop being a generic USB audio peripheral in the future? Impossible without intentional sabotage.

penrose_generic_audio.png

Buy the Penrose X -- it's guaranteed to work with both platforms.

The audio quality is great. As for the overall headset quality, I'm disappointed in its value as a headset for $300.

1) I continue to have intermittent connection issues: each time I power it back on, I have continuous connect/disconnect cycling until I power cycle the headset and unplug the dongle.
2) The range is ~15ft at best.
3) The microphone is muffled.
4) Windows system volume doesn't adjust/mute the audio.
5) They don't support Apple users (most users with an iphone use a Mac too, and no iOS/Mac app)
6) AudezeHQ has trouble connecting, usually requires a restart of the app after plugging the headphones back in.
7) No battery level measurement in the AudezeHQ app.
8) Penrose X is a superset of Penrose at the same price.
9) "Gamer aesthetic"
10) Execution on the logistics side was awful. Looking past the certification delays (out of their hands), they failed to deliver expedited shipping as promised and didn't assign priority by order date. Moreover, they chose a shipping option that required a signature in the middle of a global pandemic. My FedEx driver said, "Yeah, no. I'll sign it for you so you don't have to touch my signature pad and pen."

Should I continue?

There's potential here, and I understand that Audeze is a headphone company working their way into consumer electronics so I give them a lot of slack, but they have a long way to go yet.
As a first time customer for Audeze, I must say I'm really disappointed thus far and I haven't even gotten my headset yet. Getting my headset should be my least worry but right now I don't even know when I'll get my Penrose...

I've dealt with Kickstart, Indiegogo and had awful experiences with delays and such. I vowed to to never invest in another Kickstarter company because of their failure to fulfill on their own words. Well Audeze is exactly that right now, I thought they grew out of their kicksrarter phase a while ago but I guess not....

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,631 of 7,196
Intentional sabotage? I'm not even going to go there.

As PS5 is UAC1 compliant, I don't see HOW Microsoft or Audeze could block support, but if it WERE possible, Microsoft could likely and legally ask Audeze to kill support for PS5 on the X model.

In any case, I don't think Audeze would intentionally compete with itself. It doesn't make any sense. If anything stating functionality for EVERY console would be a fantastic bullet point, which they obviously can't state. Again, there is some legality here which is probably WHY they have to make separate models.

We're more or less in agreement then. Intentional disablement when connected to a PS5 as "Generic USB Audio" would be absurd, so the only difference is branding and color. So buy the Penrose X and swap out the pads for charcoal if you dislike the color.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,632 of 7,196
I ordered a month and a half before that person, and mine still haven't shipped, (Oct. 4th) still unfulfilled. Regular Penrose. United States.

Came back from Dr’s appt, and I have a shipping email in my inbox. Says I have to wait until Saturday for them to arrive, so no expedited shipping for me either. This is my first order/experience with this company like others have said as well. I hope the quality of the product and customer service should I need it in the future lives up to their reputation.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,633 of 7,196
You’re telling me. Early impressions led me to request cancellation. Before my request was granted, the order shipped. Very frustrating.

Exact same thing happened to me. I emailed to cancel my order last week and Andrew from Audeze said oh not sure if we can as they're all being packed.

I emailed again on Saturday and Andrew replied once again and said cancellation is not possible.

Today a shipping label has been generated. Not happy.

I ordered in October btw.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,634 of 7,196
Came back from Dr’s appt, and I have a shipping email in my inbox. Says I have to wait until Saturday for them to arrive, so no expedited shipping for me either. This is my first order/experience with this company like others have said as well. I hope the quality of the product and customer service should I need it in the future lives up to their reputation.
Did you get a official "your item has shipped" email from Audeze? Or do you just get a tracking number from FedEx out of the blue?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,635 of 7,196
We're more or less in agreement then. Intentional disablement when connected to a PS5 as "Generic USB Audio" would be absurd, so the only difference is branding and color. So buy the Penrose X and swap out the pads for charcoal if you dislike the color.
Not in agreement. If you're not ever getting an Xbox, there's no reason to go for the X. The Penrose does everything the X does aside from Xbox functionality.

I have no reason to buy an Xbox since I play mainly on PC, and ps5 for exclusives. So why would I get an X for something I'll never have? For Green? Nah, I'd be fine with Blue and knowing there's 0% chance that it won't work in the future. I also don't spend enough time looking at the pad accents to attend money on pads for the color swap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back