Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 22, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,546 of 7,191
Man, this thread is moving so fast that my questions are getting looked over. I’m going to ask again, because this needs to be answered. @Audeze For folks that have a ps5 and Xbox, can we buy just a dongle separately so we can use the headset on both consoles? If not, is there another option to use a single headset on both consoles wirelessly?

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,548 of 7,191
Man, this thread is moving so fast that my questions are getting looked over. I’m going to ask again, because this needs to be answered. @Audeze For folks that have a ps5 and Xbox, can we buy just a dongle separately so we can use the headset on both consoles? If not, is there another option to use a single headset on both consoles wirelessly?
  1. They don't know if they plan on selling separate dongles yet. Initially they said yes and then walked it back.
  2. Per a couple of responses, the Penrose X may support both consoles. However it is not advertised to so you would be buying it for such purchase as a gamble.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,549 of 7,191
  1. They don't know if they plan on selling separate dongles yet. Initially they said yes and then walked it back.
  2. Per a couple of responses, the Penrose X may support both consoles. However it is not advertised to so you would be buying it for such purchase as a gamble.

hm, I really hope Audeze addresses this properly and clearly. There are a lot of folks who will have both consoles and them not giving an answer or hint - is just making it tough on the customer. As of now I’m not sure if I should return for x, hope for the ability to buy dongle or just return and get a headset that does both wirelessly

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,550 of 7,191
Audeze is pointedly quiet on the Penrose X compatibility with PS5. Based on an understanding that Penrose X with the dongle toggle off is just a generic stereo audio device + mono mic, we can conclude:

1) Penrose is an inferior product with a subset of Penrose X functionality, for the same price.
2) The only other difference is aesthetic (blue/green), which is poor for both models.

I would suggest anyone buying these to get the Penrose X and dish out $30 for the charcoal Mobius pads. You get the full-featured product, no "gamer" aesthetic, and the only difference is blue vs. green "A" on the side of the headband.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,551 of 7,191
hm, I really hope Audeze addresses this properly and clearly. There are a lot of folks who will have both consoles and them not giving an answer or hint - is just making it tough on the customer. As of now I’m not sure if I should return for x, hope for the ability to buy dongle or just return and get a headset that does both wirelessly

Cui bono

- If Penrose X does work with Playstation, Audeze has a financial incentive to hide it until Penrose owners are past their 30-day return window, because returns cost them money.
- If Penrose X doesn't work with Playstation, do they have any reason to hide it? I can't think of one.

Audeze is pointedly quiet on the Penrose X compatibility with PS5. Based on an understanding that Penrose X with the dongle toggle off is just a generic stereo audio device + mono mic, we can conclude:

1) Penrose is an inferior product with a subset of Penrose X functionality, for the same price.
2) The only other difference is aesthetic (blue/green), which is poor for both models.

I would suggest anyone buying these to get the Penrose X and dish out $30 for the charcoal Mobius pads. You get the full-featured product, no "gamer" aesthetic, and the only difference is blue vs. green "A" on the side of the headband.

"Anyone" is a bit of a stretch. If you don't plan to own an Xbox, then the feature does nothing for you other than make the device more complicated to use, unless you are concerned about potential resale value. Penrose is also available now, whereas Penrose X isn't.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,552 of 7,191
Cui bono

- If Penrose X does work with Playstation, Audeze has a financial incentive to hide it until Penrose owners are past their 30-day return window, because returns cost them money.
- If Penrose X doesn't work with Playstation, do they have any reason to hide it? I can't think of one.

"Anyone" is a bit of a stretch. If you don't plan to own an Xbox, then the feature does nothing for you other than make the device more complicated to use, unless you are concerned about potential resale value. Penrose is also available now, whereas Penrose X isn't.

I understand your point (other than it being "more complicated to use," which is silly), but buying something with a reduced feature set for the same price doesn't sit well with me.

I don't play any console games -- this is a PC gaming / music / work headset for me. However, if I decide not to keep it, the X has twice the resale market as the non-X.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,554 of 7,191
Hey there, sorry for asking again: is penrose X approved by now? There is no more info on the hp stating they’re awaiting approval. Anyone?
No, it has not been approved, meaning manufacturing (assembly?) in China hasn't started. When they do get certified, it will be 3-4 weeks before anyone has it in their hands (per the Penrose timeline)

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,558 of 7,191
asking again as this thread has been moving quick; for those of you who’ve already received your penrose, have you noticed any degradation in the audio quality from the 2.4ghz wireless source when you mix in a secondary bluetooth source? thanks.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,559 of 7,191
No, it has not been approved, meaning manufacturing (assembly?) in China hasn't started. When they do get certified, it will be 3-4 weeks before anyone has it in their hands (per the Penrose timeline)

This is not accurate regarding the manufacturing for Penrose X, here are several quotes from Audeze Insider update emails:

November 11: "Penrose X is ready and waiting in the wings. We're just waiting on the final green light from our partners at Microsoft, and we've already started final assembly in anticipation of that."

November 17: "We've met all the requirements and have thoroughly tested the Penrose X units for compliance with Microsoft's approval process. However, we are still waiting on final word from them. With the recent launch of Xbox Series X we expect that their team has had their hands full, but we're continuing to push as much as we can. The good news is that once we've received their approval we should be able to begin shipping out Penrose X very quickly."

When it is approved they will send out another email to those of us who preordered it directly from them with an updated timeline.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,560 of 7,191
Just curious, what made you guys order this headset for gaming? Most people recommend open back headphones for that wider soundstage + no problems getting hot on your ears in lengthy gaming sessions. Used open back headphones for so many years so just curious seeing how popular these are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back