Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #1,516 of 7,191
Connecting only to USB, there is no easy way to change the Chat/Game mix on PS5. On the Xbox there is a defined set of commands that can be sent to accomplish this. If PS5 enables this feature, it would be quite easy for us to extend the functionality.

As we have mentioned earlier in the thread, we will implement the volume adjustment for PC/Mac shortly. We will also add a button combination to enable/disable side-tone and have side-tone off by default.
Playstation is understandable, since as far as I can tell NOBODY can support that but what of chatmix for PC/Mac? It's already a solved problem by others with a solution ready to be pasted in. One that doesn't rely on anything in the OS, doesn't need to send any commands at all, but can exist entirely on the headset.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,517 of 7,191
Guys I noticed something with PS5 Tempest 3D Audio.

It distorts bass pretty noticeably. As in game explosions and anything that requires a lot of bass, makes any headphone sound robotic in the bass. It's definitely a 3D audio issue because if you set to stereo, it doesn't occur.

So keep that in mind. It's not your headphones, it's the 3D audio.

I noticed this while playing Black Ops. I tested the Penrose, and tested other headphones connected to the controller. They all exhibited the same issue.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #1,518 of 7,191
I am considering canceling my headphone order. Do you think I should buy Corsair Virtuoso. The comments I have read so far are not positive.
Just buy a high end pair of Wired Beyer or Sennheiser Cans with a good receiver with an eArc HDMI Port and you're good to go. :wink:
I'd still like to give the Penrose a test drive, but i'm not willing to buy them solely for gaming, i want them to sound equally as good or better than my DT770's for music and movies but this unfortunately isn't the case.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,519 of 7,191
Guys I noticed something with PS5 Tempest 3D Audio.

It distorts bass pretty noticeably. As in game explosions and anything that requires a lot of bass, makes any headphone sound robotic in the bass. It's definitely a 3D audio issue because if you set to stereo, it doesn't occur.

So keep that in mind. It's not your headphones, it's the 3D audio.

I noticed this while playing Black Ops. I tested the Penrose, and tested other headphones connected to the controller. They all exhibited the same issue.
As far as I'm concerned Black Ops Cold War has their own 3D audio system so you should really be turning OFF 3D audio on the PS5 settings.

In fact, only Sony 1st party exclusives support 3D audio right now so you should really turn it off with 3rd party games (2K, COD, Valhalla, etc). From my experience, if it's not Astro's Playroom, Spiderman, the sound is muffled with 3D audio.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,520 of 7,191
i want them to sound equally as good or better than my DT770's for music and movies but this unfortunately isn't the case.
I think something like that really depends on your profile preferences. They're not similar enough to compare 1:1. The person in this thread who said he preferred his DT770s for those uses seems to, from what I understood, prefer them because of their profile.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,521 of 7,191
As far as I'm concerned Black Ops Cold War has their own 3D audio system so you should really be turning OFF 3D audio on the PS5 settings.

In fact, only Sony 1st party exclusives support 3D audio right now so you should really turn it off with 3rd party games (2K, COD, Valhalla, etc). From my experience, if it's not Astro's Playroom, Spiderman, the sound is muffled with 3D audio.
Black ops has a headphone mode, and it's definitely nothing like 3D audio. Not even close. 3D audio has issues, but its surround emulation absolutely trumps traditional stereo Headphone mixes. I'll take the slight muffling but way better spatial awareness than basic stereo or Headphone mixes.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,524 of 7,191
I should be getting the Penrose tomorrow, to turn off sidetones (hearing my own voice?) it is the Windows app I must get to tweak the headset settings?

Yes, when you launch the app Audeze HQ, it is on the top left area right above the mix circle

1.jpg

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,526 of 7,191
So this is honestly a 2 part, expensive solution. You have to order the carbon replacements for $30 to change the color and then if you want more breathable pads, get Dekoni suedes which are $60.
It's a shame they only have the suedes and choice leather, I'd buy sheepskins in a heartbeat.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,527 of 7,191
It's a shame they only have the suedes and choice leather, I'd buy sheepskins in a heartbeat.

While lambskin / sheepskin is so, so soft, I suspect they would still quickly heat up with the Penrose. There is a reason why I got the "vegan pads" when I owned my LCD-2's. Unfortunately, the Fostex TH-X00 have sounded terrible with any velour type pads I have tried.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #1,530 of 7,191
I was told that only Sony headsets could adjust game/chat mix via the headset on PS5. Are you sure it works on PS5 for you?

I’m confused. If you’re trying to adjust the balance between game and chat, what else would you expect to find at each end of the slider?

Game/Chat mix has been adjustable separately for a long time on PS4, the headsets do it buy taking audio from optical for game and chat audio is pulled separately via usb. The headphones then can easily treat them as 2 separate audio sources so you can adjust separately. On the headset it is very convenient as there is controls on each ear cup for sound volume. Left side game, right side chat.

What I meant with the slider is you are always sacrificing game or chat. You can’t select a high volume for game and chat at the same time. sometimes I want both to be kinda high. 2 separate sliders for each would be easier to balance.

The Penrose audio method is all through usb so we are stuck with the less convenient ui, hopefully sony changes things so it can be adjusted and available on the Penrose in future like the Pulse headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back