Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,486 of 7,191
The Penrose and the Arctis Pro Wireless are the only two wireless headsets I've tested that have the background hiss. The Arctis is from the side tone that you cannot turn off and is noticeably louder than the Penrose. I returned the Arctis because of the hiss but am keeping the Penrose.

The Penrose has MUCH higher audio quality, the Arctis Pro Wireless has fairly average "gamer" headset sound quality.

This is completely not true. You can turn off side tone. In fact, it isn't enabled by default.

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,487 of 7,191
I get that this product was targeted at the console gaming market where mic quality may not be a top priority, but with the pandemic and the shift to work-from-home I think there is now a pretty big emerging market for wireless headsets with high quality mics for use in video calls, and an audience that can easily justify the $300 asking price.

Perhaps if they didn't make you look like a mega-dork, they're one of the largest and most gamer-ey looking headsets outside of the Logitech and Corsair transfmorers looking ones.

This is completely not true. You can turn off side tone. In fact, it isn't enabled by default.

You can turn the setting off and it will stop your actual microphone from coming through but the "sound floor" is from the side tone not going down to zero. I confirmed this with support before returning my headset.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,489 of 7,191
That isn't my experience, so I'm not sure if you had a faulty headset. I've had the same issue outside of just Penrose or Steelseries, including with HyperX products. At some point you have to balance feature set versus sound quality. If sound quality is your only concern then I guess go with Penrose? Otherwise, Arctis Pro Wireless has the best feature set of any "gaming" headset out there. Now...I prefer my Fidelio X3's with a DAC/AMP & Modmic for gaming and music. I use my Sony wh-1000xm4 for work/music combo.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,491 of 7,191
Are these still worth getting if wireless is not a need? I could just get a wired option with similar sound quality from a mobius/ cloud orbit which would arrive earlier since Audeze is shipping all US orders first and my order will be shipped later than a guy who ordered it yesterday.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #1,492 of 7,191
Are these still worth getting if wireless is not a need? I could just get a wired option with similar sound quality from a mobius/ cloud orbit which would arrive earlier since Audeze is shipping all US orders first and my order will be shipped later than a guy who ordered it yesterday.

No, a quality pair of headphones will always provide better value when compared to wireless versions in the same price range.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,493 of 7,191
Not even close. The Penrose will far exceed it in sound quality. However the Arctis will have some welcome features (chat mix, better software control, DAC, swappable batteries)
Damn I might go for the Arctis Pro if I can't look past the Penrose's lack of chatmix. Pretty much looking for a wireless headset that allows me to hear both PS5 + PC at the same time while also having chatmix on PC, which the Arctis Pro seems to do. All the Penrose needed to do was to allow chatmix on PC. :triportsad: The flip side is that the Penrose has the better audio quality but it also has worse battery than the Arctis Pro. I'm on my computer all day since I work from home.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,494 of 7,191
All I know is that based on sound quality alone, I'd go for the Penrose any day of the week despite since concessions made to features. I'd like to think that sound quality is the first thing one uses even you buy audiophile headsets. You know....the AUDIO part. Not only is the audio fantastic, but it's wireless. I mean, damn.

The usability and things that may not be ideal atm are things one can get used to, and firmware updates have already fixed since issues, while future updates can fix others. The Penrrose is only going to improve, not the other way around. That also occurred with the Mobius, which lacked certain things on release that were added and fixed down the line. The Penrose gripes are certainly not deal breakers.

Penrose on ps5 has been an absolute joy, and if voice chat isn't the number 1 reason you own one, there's not much else to make me go.... "LET ME sacrifice planar goodness for some gamer headset with more features but not sound as good."

I think the first thing Audeze should do innan update is make sidetone OFF by default. There are easy ways to test the mic on both ps5 and pc, so sidetone isn't necessary. Considering it's apparently detrimental to SQ, it has to be OFF by default.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,495 of 7,191
All I know is that based on sound quality alone, I'd go for the Penrose any day of the week despite since concessions made to features. I'd like to think that sound quality is the first thing one uses even you buy audiophile headsets. You know....the AUDIO part. Not only is the audio fantastic, but it's wireless. I mean, damn.

The usability and things that may not be ideal atm are things one can get used to, and firmware updates have already fixed since issues, while future updates can fix others. The Penrrose is only going to improve, not the other way around. That also occurred with the Mobius, which lacked certain things on release that were added and fixed down the line. The Penrose gripes are certainly not deal breakers.

Penrose on ps5 has been an absolute joy, and if voice chat isn't the number 1 reason you own one, there's not much else to make me go.... "LET ME sacrifice planar goodness for some gamer headset with more features but not sound as good."

I think the first thing Audeze should do innan update is make sidetone OFF by default. There are easy ways to test the mic on both ps5 and pc, so sidetone isn't necessary. Considering it's apparently detrimental to SQ, it has to be OFF by default.
So all the issues really are based around software updates which can be done down the road?. My main concern is sound quality I will only be using it for series x and occasionally phone calls. I pondered cancelling but I am not someone who rushes into this sort of thing so I held off and from what I am reading on here. Outside of the odd faulty unit which is to be expected with a mass produced product it’s just a lack of features which are the issue.. Thats not a deal breaker for me even if they don’t add that I am still happy with the sound being so good.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,497 of 7,191
So all the issues really are based around software updates which can be done down the road?. My main concern is sound quality I will only be using it for series x and occasionally phone calls. I pondered cancelling but I am not someone who rushes into this sort of thing so I held off and from what I am reading on here. Outside of the odd faulty unit which is to be expected with a mass produced product it’s just a lack of features which are the issue.. Thats not a deal breaker for me even if they don’t add that I am still happy with the sound being so good.
I believe so. I mean outside of the few times you need to tweak specific things, you're gonna spend 99.999% of the time just listening and enjoying the sound. I dunno who here is constantly fidgeting with their headset outside of initial few minutes. I mean, I turn the Penrose on, adjust some things, then I don't touch anything else the whole gameplay session outside of volume.

So really, whatever problems people may have, we're talking about things you're not messing with after the first minute or so.

Gotta remember that people love to highlight flaws as if it's the ONLY thing you do the entire time. You don't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back