Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,443 of 7,196
UPDATE:
A couple of friends were on my discord, so I hopped on to test. They could hear me clearly and say I sound fine. They did say however that it doesn't sound as good as the Shure MV5 that I usually use, which is about 1.5-2ft away and 6 inches below mouth level.
Would be interesting to know if there is a discernible difference between the mic wired vs wireless at Discord’s bitrate. Though I’m assuming it would be if they can tell a basic USB Shure sounds better.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,445 of 7,196
Oh yeahhhhh... really enjoying these over Bluetooth with my iPhone right now, and that's just with Spotify.

I actually foresee myself using these as quality closed Bluetooth cans with my iPhone more than I had anticipated. I said earlier they don't sound as "fast" as my EL-8C, which I still maintain, but in many ways they sound better -- warmer, rounder, but still with some sparkle up top and clean, deep bass.

It will probably shake out that they are only "among my rotation" at the desk for work (where wired cans often are convenient enough, opening my selection to a much wider variety of options), the wireless convenience and the simultaneous audio from computer and iPhone make them superb in those respects when I am prioritizing mobility (I work at four primary locations and in some mobility is more important)....

..but they will also be called on more than I had anticipated for wireless music convenience around the house or even when taking the dog out for a walk, via iPhone.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,447 of 7,196
I'd like to know how are these with CONSOLES? all the crying from pc players, are giving these headphones a bad name. Clearly they were designed with Playstation/xbox as 1st priority

You probably need to be more specific in your ask. What kind of console impressions are you looking for? The reason I say this is because no game is going to give you a better assessment of sound quality than listening to a variety of high quality music for example and as for sound quality, since it's a digital signal being sent to and processed by the Penrose, the same audio file coming from a PS5 is going to be no different than one from a PC. With that out of the way, are you looking for people to test latency? Chat? General UI usage with a console?

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #1,448 of 7,196
Volume level control from PC/Mac - From the early feedback, this looks like the most requested. We are in the process of implementing this and this will be rolled into the next firmware release. In the next release there will be 3 places to control the volume (App, OS, Headphone).
SideTone - We will also add a button combination for Sidetone toggle so you can control this from the headset in addition to the apps.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #1,450 of 7,196
Oh yeahhhhh... really enjoying these over Bluetooth with my iPhone right now, and that's just with Spotify.

I actually foresee myself using these as quality closed Bluetooth cans with my iPhone more than I had anticipated. I said earlier they don't sound as "fast" as my EL-8C, which I still maintain, but in many ways they sound better -- warmer, rounder, but still with some sparkle up top and clean, deep bass.

It will probably shake out that they are only "among my rotation" at the desk for work (where wired cans often are convenient enough, opening my selection to a much wider variety of options), the wireless convenience and the simultaneous audio from computer and iPhone make them superb in those respects when I am prioritizing mobility (I work at four primary locations and in some mobility is more important)....

..but they will also be called on more than I had anticipated for wireless music convenience around the house or even when taking the dog out for a walk, via iPhone.
That convenience for mobile while being decent for desktop is precisely why I'm interested in them! Thanks for your impressions btw; One of my local hifi stores said they have a high likelihood of stocking the Penrose since they stock most of the Audeze line that's still in production, including the Mobius. I'm hoping they bring it in for demoing within the next few months.

I'd really like to try it out against the various planars I have, especially the iSine10 and Aeon 2 Closed to see how much of a sacrifice in sound quality for wireless convenience I'd be willing to give up. :) And versus a bluetooth dap + iem setup

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,451 of 7,196
Volume level control from PC/Mac - From the early feedback, this looks like the most requested. We are in the process of implementing this and this will be rolled into the next firmware release. In the next release there will be 3 places to control the volume (App, OS, Headphone).
SideTone - We will also add a button combination for Sidetone toggle so you can control this from the headset in addition to the apps.
I don't care too much about the volume control myself but I think it's great that you have taken the feedback on board and are publicly stating that you will implement the changes in the next firmware release. The sidetone button combo will be handy for sure. Thank you for communicating this with us.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,452 of 7,196
That convenience for mobile while being decent for desktop is precisely why I'm interested in them! Thanks for your impressions btw; One of my local hifi stores said they have a high likelihood of stocking the Penrose since they stock most of the Audeze line that's still in production, including the Mobius. I'm hoping they bring it in for demoing within the next few months.

I'd really like to try it out against the various planars I have, especially the iSine10 and Aeon 2 Closed to see how much of a sacrifice in sound quality for wireless convenience I'd be willing to give up. :) And versus a bluetooth dap + iem setup

spot on, “convenience for mobile and decent for desktop,” I am feeling early on that perfectly describes these; when seated mostly stationary at my desks, I admit these aren’t going to my primary preference but part of that is I really prefer open cans as well as these not being the last word in SQ - but these are really enjoyable and high enough SQ than when mixed desktop / mobile use is important I won’t feel I’m unduly giving up too much to get that convenience as I felt I was using the Audio Technical G1-WL which had disappointing sonic performance and also no BT functionality at all much less simultaneous audio stream support.

I look forward to your impressions on how much you feel you’re giving up versus your iSine 10 (funny you mentioned that as I had the same thought about comparing them as I also have those and like them, especially since they’re open), and also your Aeon Closed 2 which I unfortunately have never heard.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,453 of 7,196
As a quick question (hoping not to disrupt any conversation) but I came from a Game Zero and moved to the Hyper X Cloud Orbit (so we can somewhat consider it a Mobius). The headset unfortunately had a mechanical issue so was returned, but jeez when I had it I loved the sound - specifically for music. I'd say the fullness (100mm planar maybe?) of it and the lows (not some base head but mid-lows I like) really made me love it, and in my mind it crushed the Game Zero.

I pre-ordered the Penrose as a replacement, don't have it yet, but nonetheless just wanted to ask if people who do have it think it's the right move. I don't really care for the "gaming" purpose...like with the games I play it doesn't really matter. More so for music and communication (so mic...issue is that Penrose is expensive enough for me that I can't also afford a desk mic. I talk a lot though, and honestly at this rate I may have to just keep it plugged into Aux, but maybe when I'm not talking I can unplug). Even though for example the PC38x is liked, people say it's similar to the Sennheiser Game series, which means I feel like it would be going backwards again.

EDIT: Oh and just to also ask, anyone been able to confirm if there is a real dip in quality from the Aux connection audio to the 2.4 audio? Not mic but actual sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,454 of 7,196
Yes, this would be a lovely firmware update if only I can actually update my headphones!

I don't have a Windows operating system and I would really like an ETA of when support for Android and Mac will come.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,455 of 7,196
@Audeze @KMann is there any possibility of adding a feature where we can improve wireless mic quality at the expense of audio quality? Either as a slider for bitrate allocation or some presets we can choose between?

I understand as an audio company you've decided to put sound quality as priority but when I am looking for a gaming headset, the mic quality is nearly as important to me as the sound, and quite frankly the wireless mic here is quite bad imo, even compared to other wireless headsets

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back