Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,354 of 7,191
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050649671-Penrose-2-4GHz-Wireless-Connection
  • Headphone volume adjustment is done by spinning the Headphone Volume Control wheel on the left earcup. Software based volume controls such as those in Windows or Mac OS will have no effect when connected over the 2.4gHz wireless adapter, since the computer has no direct connection to the headphones and only sees the dongle.
This is not how it works for any other set of 2.4gHz wireless headphones that I owned. For all of them headphones volume can be controlled from the OS and vice versa (volume wheel on the headphones adjusts OS volume for the device). Are you using some unique dongle for Penrose that works in a different way or is it a firmware issue that can be fixed in the future?

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,355 of 7,191
Patiently waiting for that shipping confirmation. Even though I'm in South Africa and will therefore probably only get it sometime in December, the anticipation is killing me lol.

I'll be using it for console and music listening via bluetooth, so the pc-related issues mentioned above aren't a concern to me personally. Even the chatmix not usable on Playstation is one of those things you set once and never again (at least that's my experience, I never change it via my Sony headset even though the option is there), so having to do it one time via the system menu won't kill me. As long as the sound quality lives up to the Audeze name, I'll be a happy camper.

Now I just need that shipping confirmation lol

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,356 of 7,191
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050649671-Penrose-2-4GHz-Wireless-Connection

This is not how it works for any other set of 2.4gHz wireless headphones that I owned. For all of them headphones volume can be controlled from the OS and vice versa (volume wheel on the headphones adjusts OS volume for the device). Are you using some unique dongle for Penrose that works in a different way or is it a firmware issue that can be fixed in the future?

I just created an account just then to say I'm really shocked by this. I remember seeing that this was an issue but thought they would change it before launch...like I understand that the headset is positioned for Xbox/Playstation, but as a PC only user myself this is really disheartening to hear.

What happens then if I turn down my music or a video while playing a game (via Windows volume control) or on something like Discord where I need to hear people talking louder than my game? What, will everything just come through blasting away at the same volume? At that point I might as well treat this as a wired headset as I'd need to permanently keep it plugged in.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,357 of 7,191
I just created an account just then to say I'm really shocked by this. I remember seeing that this was an issue but thought they would change it before launch...like I understand that the headset is positioned for Xbox/Playstation, but as a PC only user myself this is really disheartening to hear.

What happens then if I turn down my music or a video while playing a game (via Windows volume control) or on something like Discord where I need to hear people talking louder than my game? What, will everything just come through blasting away at the same volume? At that point I might as well treat this as a wired headset as I'd need to permanently keep it plugged in.

This appears to have been a miscommunication by the reddit poster.

The volume on your headset and Windows are just two independent volume controls. If you have the headset at max or 80% or w/e and never touch it, you can just control volume from Windows. Alternatively, you can leave Windows at max and adjust solely with the headset if you wanted to.

The user was complaining that changing the volume in Windows doesn't then change the headset's volume setting (the amplification factor) and vice versa. It's a nice-to-have, but not really necessary feature. Let the amp control (hardware) be separate from the software control (source audio) imo.

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,358 of 7,191
This appears to have been a miscommunication by the reddit poster.

The volume on your headset and Windows are just two independent volume controls. If you have the headset at max or 80% or w/e and never touch it, you can just control volume from Windows. Alternatively, you can leave Windows at max and adjust solely with the headset if you wanted to.

The user was complaining that changing the volume in Windows doesn't then change the headset's volume setting (the amplification factor) and vice versa. It's a nice-to-have, but not really necessary feature. Let the amp control (hardware) be separate from the software control (source audio) imo.
I actually prefer it this way, gives you more flexiblity.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,360 of 7,191
Are all the preorders for USA purchased directly from Audeze still expected to be shipped by the end of this week? Today's Friday, and I've been anxiously refreshing my email all week. Hopefully, I get a good one without any of these problems I've been reading about.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,361 of 7,191
Are all the preorders for USA purchased directly from Audeze still expected to be shipped by the end of this week? Today's Friday, and I've been anxiously refreshing my email all week. Hopefully, I get a good one without any of these problems I've been reading about.

I'm hoping stuff still ships out this week. I ordered first week of November so I'm towards the back of the line but their tweet earlier in the week said all preorders would go out by the end of the week.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,362 of 7,191
I'm hoping stuff still ships out this week. I ordered first week of November so I'm towards the back of the line but their tweet earlier in the week said all preorders would go out by the end of the week.

I'm pretty sure I preordered in mid October and I still haven't heard anything yet. I know it's COVID but they can only delay something so many times before it looks like incompetence

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,363 of 7,191
I had the Logitech G Pro X Wireless and was unsatisfied with them, that’s what lead me to order the Penrose.

They were fine for what they were and pretty much “just worked” out of the box except that the G Hub software is truly awful, the sound quality was just okay (several steps below Penrose), the simulated surround was awful (and they don’t actually support DTS:X or Microsoft’s surround even though they say they do), the mic quality was really poor, and they were super uncomfortable.

I would place them in 3rd place as far as wireless headsets go (Behind Penrose and Arctic Pro Wireless) if they weren’t so darn uncomfortable, really bad on that front, unusable to me.

How is the mic quality on the Penrose? I haven't seen many people talk about how it sounds when wireless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back