Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #1,336 of 7,191
If I put any pressure over the left earcup (imagine pressing the earcup toward your left ear more - that kind of pressure), or tap on the upper part of the hinge (above the mic toggle and below the Audeze logo), the headset briefly disconnects and the headset says "Connected" shortly afterward. Sometimes, the headset says it reconnects but the dongle loses connection and has to be reseated. Can anyone confirm if this is happening with theirs? This seems like a pretty bizarre flaw if it's repeatable. I'm happy with the sound quality for these headphones, and can't report any hissing even with sidetone on, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #1,337 of 7,191
I had the Logitech G Pro X Wireless and was unsatisfied with them, that’s what lead me to order the Penrose.

They were fine for what they were and pretty much “just worked” out of the box except that the G Hub software is truly awful, the sound quality was just okay (several steps below Penrose), the simulated surround was awful (and they don’t actually support DTS:X or Microsoft’s surround even though they say they do), the mic quality was really poor, and they were super uncomfortable.

I would place them in 3rd place as far as wireless headsets go (Behind Penrose and Arctic Pro Wireless) if they weren’t so darn uncomfortable, really bad on that front, unusable to me.
I have a "big melon" as well 25.5" I have the Arctic Pro Wireless and find them a little too small. With the velcro strap at this max, the earcups do not fit low enough and pull up on the bottom of my ears.
Since it seems you have tried both, how does the physical fit of the Penrose compare to the Arctic Pro? Does the Penrose seem to have more or less reach on where the earpads sit?

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #1,338 of 7,191
Since it seems you have tried both, how does the physical fit of the Penrose compare to the Arctic Pro? Does the Penrose seem to have more or less reach on where the earpads sit?
The Penrose has a slightly wider headband but higher clamping force, it really has very little give in any dimension.
I found the Arctis more comfortable than the Penrose but both more comfortable than any other wireless gaming headset I’ve used. Both are less comfortable than my gold comfort standards: Sennheiser 6XX and Bose QC35 II

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,341 of 7,191
The Penrose has a slightly wider headband but higher clamping force, it really has very little give in any dimension.
I found the Arctis more comfortable than the Penrose but both more comfortable than any other wireless gaming headset I’ve used. Both are less comfortable than my gold comfort standards: Sennheiser 6XX and Bose QC35 II
Thanks.

I know this is a weird way to evaluate headsets, but my problem is not so much clamping force, but more the length of the headband. The Arctis would be comfortable if the earcups sit lower in relation to my ears.

You said the Penrose is slightly wider. Do you think they reach/sit lower as well?

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #1,344 of 7,191
I’m really conflicted now. I think I’ve made my mind up that I’m going to cancel my pre order but just not sure what I should get instead. Mainly for PS5. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I spent hours and hours watching reviews, trying to get to the real ones (not sponsored).
If not Penrose, I'd buy Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,346 of 7,191
Sitting here squeezing the hell out of the Penrose at max volume trying to hear this hiss and noise floor. I'm convinced you must have some 2.4ghz crosstalk or something. No strange hiss, no highly audible anything. It's more than the headset being turned off, but you'd have to be in utter silence for it feel like it's anywhere near invasive. Then again, I'm not playing video games going, WHY IS THE BACKGROUND NOT 100% SILENT. I'm playing the game. And when I'm listening to music, I'm listening to music, not the ridiculously low noise floor.

I'd bring this headset to anyone around me and they'd call me crazy if I said this 'noise' is problematic.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,348 of 7,191
We see a few posts where the earcups are being squeezed. While it is ok for the earpads to be squeezed gently as you take them off or while adjusting them on the head; we discourage squeezing them hard either while on the head or on a flat surface. When the ear pads are flat against the surface or head, there is air trapped between the surface and the ultra-thin diaphragm. When the earcups get squeezed, there is no pace for the air to escape and instead the air pushes against the diaphragm and could potential tear the diaphragm if enough force act on it. The diaphragm needs to be as thin as they are to keep inertial low and provide the speed, resolution and transparency.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,349 of 7,191
Just performed another test. Turned my Xbox SX on, and put my headset to max volume and chatmix to Game. Little noise is hearable when is squeez earcups to my ears. I have never heard This before.
Hey Guys, this is a planar magnetic headphone.. please do not squeeze the ear ups closer to your ears ever or else you could destroy the headphones. IDK why i have to say this but here we are lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back