Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,217 of 7,191
Am I hearing right that Windows system volume AND app volume sliders don't work? That's absolutely ridiculous.
Someone from reddit thread just pointed it out.
  • Headphone volume adjustment is done by spinning the Headphone Volume Control wheel on the left earcup. Software based volume controls such as those in Windows or Mac OS will have no effect when connected over the 2.4gHz wireless adapter, since the computer has no direct connection to the headphones and only sees the dongle.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050649671-Penrose-2-4GHz-Wireless-Connection

Well... i think that is a deal breaker...

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,219 of 7,191
I dont play the switch portability, just docked. :p hopefully i'm wrong. It's so complicated and frustrating trying to find a good audiophile wireless set of cans that utilize 2.4Ghz for both movies and games, it seems.

i'm gonna fall back on the eArc audio Receiver solution with by wired DT770's for now with the Switch if the Penrose can't whip out low 16ms latency again, with the switch using that adapter

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,220 of 7,191
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,222 of 7,191
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050649671-Penrose-2-4GHz-Wireless-Connection

This also answered my other issue.
  • Headphone volume adjustment is done by spinning the Headphone Volume Control wheel on the left earcup. Software based volume controls such as those in Windows or Mac OS will have no effect when connected over the 2.4gHz wireless adapter, since the computer has no direct connection to the headphones and only sees the dongle.

This seems weird to me because im 99.9% sure my hyperX set adjusts windows volume with the headset wheel.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,224 of 7,191
Just got around to testing the microphone on this headset.

Pros:
Sounds pretty good
Cons:
The compression artifacts in the audio are pretty atypical of a wireless microphone and can sound pretty weird, not robotic, not phone-ey, just unusual.

It picks up breath like crazy, it actually sounds virtually the same as my modmic wireless when its on the directional setting. I purposefully take it off that mode because that kind of microphone is not really good for a headset boom mic that could possibly be breathed on. It somehow picks up my breath as a big boomy, artifacty bass explosion even if I put the mic under my chin where it shouldn't pick up much breath.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,227 of 7,191
Many 2.4ghz headsets (all of them that I know of) adjust system volume with the volume wheel on the headset, weird that this one doesn't.

I mean, I could deal with it if the volume on the headset is it’s own thing and I can just leave that at 80% and then control volume with windows volume mixer, but if you’re telling me that windows volume mixer will do nothing to the levels in the headset I just can’t see how that will work. I generally balance discord and other apps in there virtually every gaming session.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,228 of 7,191
I mean, I could deal with it if the volume on the headset is it’s own thing and I can just leave that at 80% and then control volume with windows volume mixer, but if you’re telling me that windows volume mixer will do nothing to the levels in the headset I just can’t see how that will work. I generally balance discord and other apps in there virtually every gaming session.

Yeah that's how I'm guessing it works too. Headset has its own level and then you have windows levels on top of that. And they are saying Windows cannot directly modify the volume of the headset you need the slider, but you can always change the levels of sound being sent to your headset within windows.

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,229 of 7,191
So far I'm preferring my existing Razer Blackshark V2 Pro. I'm strictly using them for PC gaming. Razer are more comfortable and seem to have similar sound quality. I don't have audiophile ears though. Penrose mic does sound better. I still need to do more testing.

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,230 of 7,191
Yeah that's how I'm guessing it works too. Headset has its own level and then you have windows levels on top of that. And they are saying Windows cannot directly modify the volume of the headset you need the slider, but you can always change the levels of sound being sent to your headset within windows.
Can someone who already have them confirm this? Does changing volume of separate program in Windows Volume Mixer actually change volume of program? Or does it stay the same? Tnx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back