Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,247 of 7,191
I think you could replicate this as is with Penrose if you connect them to your PC with both the USB dongle and Bluetooth. Then you would have the system presented with two devices to use the same way you are showing in your images. Use the Bluetooth device for your input device and chat audio output and the USB dongle for your game audio.
But that wouldn't allow the mix to be adjusted by the dial on the headset. If I was going to be near my computer using them, I'd just use wired headphones. If the game/chat mix could be made to work this way on PC, then it would be a perfectly workable solution.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,248 of 7,191
Thanks, Size 8 Hat = 25" & 64cm, yes, you have a big melon.

The main issue I have is how little give it has in every dimension, none of the various swivels rotate very much and put up a little more resistance than I’d like comfortably.

I’ve decided I will be keeping the headset, every wireless headset is a compromise and I feel this one is the one I’m most okay with (I’ve tried them all now lol).

it’s the least comfortable set of headphones I own (6XX and QC35 II) but it’s more comfortable than any other headset I tried before settling on this one.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,249 of 7,191
But that wouldn't allow the mix to be adjusted by the dial on the headset. If I was going to be near my computer using them, I'd just use wired headphones. If the game/chat mix could be made to work this way on PC, then it would be a perfectly workable solution.

Nothing they do will add another dial for a chat mix, so that’s out of the question.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,250 of 7,191
Headsets $200 cheaper than yours manage wirelessly adjusting the voice/chat mix on pc flawlessly. Without relying on software at all, I can plug my Arctis 7 in and send any given program to mono output for voice and stero output for game and mix on the dial with no separate software necessary.

Frankly there's no excuse to be lacking it.
I got my Arctis 7 Wireless for $100 and use the chat mix for Discord + Games every day. I can even listen to my PS5 + PC at the same time but it requires that I put a headphone jack from the controller to the Arctis 7 receiver.

I just want a good sounding headset that I can use for both my PS5 + PC wirelessly at the same time while having chat + game audio mix for PC. I thought this would be the one so I purchased but I guess that's out the window. I'll see if I can look past the chat mix issue since that's mainly the problem I have with it. It's a real shame that it's not not a part of something as expensive as this.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,251 of 7,191
Still stoked to eventually nab a Penrose X (currently on order through a local shop in Canada). Always expect to hear about a few snags when a product first releases, but I've been rolling my Mobius via aux connection through my Xbox Series X controller and even that suboptimal setup sounds better than most of what you can get out there, gaming headset-wise (a bit less so on PS5 given the more compressed audio coming through the Dualsense controller).

The only real pain for me will be the app/firmware update functionality. The fact that it seemingly can only be done via PC is indeed a bit archaic. I also despise audio drop-outs with wireless headsets, so I'm hoping that the signal on these is robust enough to resist interference.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #1,252 of 7,191
Just more bitching on the Audeze HQ problem, so far the update only exists for Windows, MAC OS is still Jan 2020, Android is showing as Nov 2019 - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.embodyvr.immerse.immerse and full of one star reviews with issues that look like they were never addressed.

For a product delayed due to certification issues, I would have thought every item not connected to the delay would have been ready to roll out on your initial expected timeline, so MAC OS and Android updated the same time as Windows.

I really hate moving to negative posts, but today has been a real eye opener.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,253 of 7,191
Nothing they do will add another dial for a chat mix, so that’s out of the question.
There's already a dial for chatmix, pushing in the mic volume dial and spinning works as a chatmix adjustment. The android app would also be plenty since even if that push/turn function didn't exist as it would still allow me to adjust the game/chat mix while away from my PC if I just set my phone on the counter while I'm chatting on Discord while making espresso or soldering or whatever. If the game/chat mix would actually do something useful on PC.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,254 of 7,191
Wouldn't using an Adapter, a USB-C adapter for the Switch to use with the penrose just add additional Latency?
Also, if i want to use the Penrose on the Switch, then PS4 or something else, do i have to keep removing the USB dongle and plugging it in a different device?

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,255 of 7,191
Still stoked to eventually nab a Penrose X (currently on order through a local shop in Canada). Always expect to hear about a few snags when a product first releases, but I've been rolling my Mobius via aux connection through my Xbox Series X controller and even that suboptimal setup sounds better than most of what you can get out there, gaming headset-wise (a bit less so on PS5 given the more compressed audio coming through the Dualsense controller).

The only real pain for me will be the app/firmware update functionality. The fact that it seemingly can only be done via PC is indeed a bit archaic. I also despise audio drop-outs with wireless headsets, so I'm hoping that the signal on these is robust enough to resist interference.

You can use your Mobius via USB with PS5 if you have a long enough USB cable to reach your seating position, your audio quality would go way up compared to using it via AUX on the Dualsense controller.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,256 of 7,191
I don’t understand how it can be said that this has a very low sound floor, literally no other Headphones or headset I’ve used (other than the Logitech g pro wireless that was due to surround simulation and was fixed in firmware and Arctic pro wireless which was a side tone that can’t be turned off) have any hissing at all at the volumes I listen to, is your reference volume 100%?

Also you NEED to fix the voice that tells you settings. My ears are ringing after I heard BLUETOOTH yelled at me when I hit the button by accident. It also sounds like a gas leak or something is going on behind her from the amount of hissing due to I assume compression in those voice samples.

I just noticed another small thing, there’s a very short, slight tinny echo/hiss when music or sound stops, most noticeable after a chime or other alert plays, is this due to the compression used? I thought it was lossless.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,257 of 7,191
Just more bitching on the Audeze HQ problem, so far the update only exists for Windows, MAC OS is still Jan 2020, Android is showing as Nov 2019 - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.embodyvr.immerse.immerse and full of one star reviews with issues that look like they were never addressed.

This app is deprecated as the functionality was moved elsewhere, it is not for use with Penrose.

We are a small but agile team. Unlike larger companies that may take years from concept to production, we try to stay at the edge and bring exciting products as soon as we can. But our primary focus is on the transducer and sound. We do not have a large software team, so software generally takes time when it is to be supported on multiple platforms, but we will get there. We have mentioned this right from the start that Windows app will be available first and the rest will follow.

That is not to say UX and Apps are not important, they just take time compared to other companies who may have larger distribution.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,258 of 7,191
This app is deprecated as the functionality was moved elsewhere, it is not for use with Penrose.

We are a small but agile team. Unlike larger companies that may take years from concept to production, we try to stay at the edge and bring exciting products as soon as we can. But our primary focus is on the transducer and sound. We do not have a large software team (in fact only 2 developers and they are not in house), so software generally takes time when it is to be supported on multiple platforms, but we will get there. We have mentioned this right from the start that Windows app will be available first and the rest will follow.

That is not to say UX and Apps are not important, they just take time compared to other companies who may have larger distribution.
So to be very clear, when I get my Penrose what will I need to do/download in order to adjust certain sound settings but most importantly TURN OFF side tone to reduce those hissing sound concerns?

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,259 of 7,191

We are a small but agile team. Unlike larger companies that may take years from concept to production, we try to stay at the edge and bring exciting products as soon as we can. But our primary focus is on the transducer and sound. We do not have a large software team (in fact only 2 developers and they are not in house), so software generally takes time when it is to be supported on multiple platforms, but we will get there. We have mentioned this right from the start that Windows app will be available first and the rest will follow.

hum... I appreciate what you guys have been doing on the transition from Analog to Digital products.

BUT. I must disagree with UX and Apps are not important. That' the most important thing these days. Not to say, to a IoT. it may not be important to Analog products, but it is to anything that require an interface between the user and the product.

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,260 of 7,191

We are a small but agile team. Unlike larger companies that may take years from concept to production, we try to stay at the edge and bring exciting products as soon as we can. but our primary focus is on the transducer and sound. We do not have a large software team (in fact only 2 developers and they are not in house), so software generally takes time when it is to be supported on multiple platforms, but we will get there. We have mentioned this right from the start that Windows app will be available first and the rest will follow.

That is not to say UX and Apps are not important, they just take time compared to other companies who sell by the millions.

I really do understand and appreciate that, but you need to put on your Consumer hat and have a look at how you are selling your products, in this case the Penrose. It is a constant problem with brands, product managers and representatives to forget that the average consumer knows NOTHING about your product and how it interacts with them daily. It's why I find most user manuals horrible, because they are put together by people that know the product inside out, and they never get it reviewed by someone who has never touched the item. Websites should be the same.
They will use their current life experience to form expectations. I have X headphones that cost $50, so surely these $300 ones can do that plus my taxes and drive me home while I am drunk. You get the picture, associated expectations.

You are telling one story on your website, the main portal for your consumers knowledge base, and then all the little detail covering caveats elsewhere that 99% of of them will never see. I personally can't recall seeing anything on this forum about delays to Android and Mac, and I have read every page, hence my small summary of Audeze replies on to most common questions on page 50.

Let's tackle the program side, as that is what I have jumped on.

From your website

Audeze HQ |Desktop and Mobile App

The Audeze HQ app for mobile and desktop systems enables a variety of advanced functionality for the Penrose and Penrose X. Featuring a 10 band graphic EQ interface, sidetone toggling, and real-time voice-to-chat mix for Xbox Series X, Audeze HQ gives gamers unprecedented control over their audio experience.

Right here, it makes NO mention of specific compatibility, or delays but does mention critical use functions that are only accessible via the app.

Directly below that.

Multi-device Compatibility
Xbox • PlayStation • Nintendo • Windows • Macintosh • iOS • Android

While I understand it is dealing with general use now, not the app anymore, surely you have experience with consumer usage that will almost always link A & B and ignore any contextual info. So the inference here is that the App will work for the listed devices. Ok, only someone completely brain dead, and we all know they exist, is going to think there is an Audeze HQ app for Switch. But the connection between the two headers, Mobile App and Multi-Device listing iOS and Android is inexplicable.

So you have set expectations that your headset is going to arrive at date X and needs to use app Y to make full use of it.
You can't expect consumers to be happy with the supporting app to not be readably usable two months after the initial go to market date has passed if you haven't clearly communicated that.

If you were a brand new company i could understand so many oversights in communication, but you're not. You also went through the fun of a Kickstarter, that should have been a huge learning experience on dealing directly with consumers needs and their expectations based on your provided info.

Probably also a good idea to link the support URL on the Penrose page - https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360004300932-Penrose-Technical-Support

If the Android App is depreciated, remove it from the store, you can see yet another 1 star review placed just two months ago, clearly people aren't aware of what's going on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back