Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #1,276 of 7,191
I wonder if the PS5 is the problem? My PS5 fails to work with external USB storage (two different drives, that both work flawlessly with the PS4 Pro), and many people are reporting USB charging issues with Rest mode on the PS5. It might be that there are issues with the PS5’s USB drivers or USB ports. It’s interesting that the one person with glowing reports of the Penrose is using it on a PS4.

It's not the PS5, I noticed and posted about the hissing before ever connecting it to a PS5. It has the low hiss when connected to nothing as well as my Mac laptop and Windows PC. It's pretty much unnoticeable when music is playing or sound effects in video games are happening so it's not the end of the world but I like to wear my headphones between say, listing to music and playing a game and it's kinda annoying then.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,278 of 7,191
I really need more clarification on this lmao. Do we use AudezeHQ to disable sidetone?

Based on what I got from earlier posts in this thread, that app is only available on PC?

Unless you have one of the new Macs, Boot Camp still exists as well as virtualization. If all else fails and the poster has no friends, aren't public libraries still a thing?

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,279 of 7,191
I don’t have a Windows or Android device, so looks like I’m stuck with hissing at launch.

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, PS4 Pro, and PS5, but apparently none of these devices can be used to disable sidetone.

Then again, the Penrose has been delayed until late December in Australia (and Penrose X is now 2021), so maybe I’ll be able to turn off sidetone by then.

It might be a lot of effort, but you could temporarily run up a Windows VM in Parallels on your MBP to do it.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,283 of 7,191
Unless you have one of the new Macs, Boot Camp still exists as well as virtualization. If all else fails and the poster has no friends, aren't public libraries still a thing?
I try not to associate with Windows users 😂

But in all seriousness, Windows costs AUD$225, so that ain’t happening. And when I think of premium gaming headsets, having to take them to a public library to eliminate hissing isn’t the first thing that springs to mind, especially during a pandemic.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,284 of 7,191
Despite the feedback regarding the shortcomings of the headset, sound quality has been consistently praised. This essentially proves that Penrose sounds a lot better IMO. A previous poster basically asked why should they care that Audeze is a company that makes audiophile headphones, well that's the entire reason why people are looking at the Penrose and previously Mobius for gaming.
Yea Im planning to use it mostly on ps5 only so I’ll just go to my laptop and disable sidetone first then this headset is pretty much good for me since the issues dont really bother me except for the noise floor which I’ll have to hear it myself. Sound quality is good and thats my priority

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,285 of 7,191
I try not to associate with Windows users 😂

But in all seriousness, Windows costs AUD$225, so that ain’t happening. And when I think of premium gaming headsets, having to take them to a public library to eliminate hissing isn’t the first thing that springs to mind.

Step 1: Find the Aussie version of Best Buy
Step 2: Buy the cheapest Windows computer you can find
Step 3: Do whatever you need to do with the headset and software
Step 4: Return the computer
Step 5: Game on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back