Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 10, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #871 of 7,191
You know they will never be allowed to come out and officially say that. That's why deals are made. It's the same thing as a game being announced as a timed exclusive, but the other company can't publicly state that it will be coming to their system as well.

You realize that once the first headset is in the hands of a customer, the cat will be out of the bag if customers were being misled right? Maybe a large corporation like Sony or Samsung can brush that aside, but not a company like Audeze that still largely relies on word of mouth for extensive marketing. A bunch of pissed off customers telling others that Audeze lied to them is hardly in their best interest.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #872 of 7,191
This is no different to SteelSeries. Arctis 7X works with both consoles, but the X doesn’t say anything about working with PlayStation.

Attachments

• CE80BBAF-928B-4BCD-B661-4B0CD61C0183.jpeg
    CE80BBAF-928B-4BCD-B661-4B0CD61C0183.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #875 of 7,191
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #877 of 7,191
If they don't have to to pay Microsoft licensing fees for every non-X sold, their margin may be larger? 🤔 Considering how emotionally people have been discussing the color scheme, that might be worth it? 🤷‍♂️

I mean, IF that was the case, AND the Penrose X works on all platforms, then that's like the worst of all worlds for us consumers;

"We're selling two variants, one will work on all formats (and we won't tell you that), but this one costs us a little more in licensing, so we made a second one to appeal to Playstation gamers/Mac users as it nets us a higher margin"

Now you've said it, I'm pretty convinced that it's a small part of it, but if we look at SteelSeries and their 7X/7P cans, there's legitimately no reason for them to produce 2 separate SKUs if we look at functionality on the 7X, but they do it because die-hards who play on either platform want to be associated with that 'brand identity'. What I will say on behalf of the SteelSeries cans - the colourways are quite different and so it makes a little more sense why someone might pick the white/blue 7P to go with their new PS5, but if I'd picked up the 7P only to later find out the 7X was fully platform compatible, I'd probably have had some words of complaint to take up with SteelSeries.

Not gonna lie, whilst I'm not keen at all on the green colourway for the Penrose X, I would gladly swap my preorder to a Penrose X since we're talking about a couple of strips of green vs complete functionality across all platforms. At some point, I plan on getting an XSX, but we're talking a couple of years from now, but I'd rather I was future-proofed.

I guess I'll take it up with Audeze if it turns out that we've been misled about the functionality of the Penrose X, but until there has been official communication about it, I'll maintain my preorder for Penrose.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #878 of 7,191
I mean, IF that was the case, AND the Penrose X works on all platforms, then that's like the worst of all worlds for us consumers;

"We're selling two variants, one will work on all formats (and we won't tell you that), but this one costs us a little more in licensing, so we made a second one to appeal to Playstation gamers/Mac users as it nets us a higher margin"

Now you've said it, I'm pretty convinced that it's a small part of it, but if we look at SteelSeries and their 7X/7P cans, there's legitimately no reason for them to produce 2 separate SKUs if we look at functionality on the 7X, but they do it because die-hards who play on either platform want to be associated with that 'brand identity'. What I will say on behalf of the SteelSeries cans - the colourways are quite different and so it makes a little more sense why someone might pick the white/blue 7P to go with their new PS5, but if I'd picked up the 7P only to later find out the 7X was fully platform compatible, I'd probably have had some words of complaint to take up with SteelSeries.

Not gonna lie, whilst I'm not keen at all on the green colourway for the Penrose X, I would gladly swap my preorder to a Penrose X since we're talking about a couple of strips of green vs complete functionality across all platforms. At some point, I plan on getting an XSX, but we're talking a couple of years from now, but I'd rather I was future-proofed.

I guess I'll take it up with Audeze if it turns out that we've been misled about the functionality of the Penrose X, but until there has been official communication about it, I'll maintain my preorder for Penrose.
Even if this is completely accurate, I am happy with my Penrose order and would not consider changing it. Besides, I am reasonably sure that at some point you will be able to buy the X dongle if you really want/need it. Either as an accessory or as a replacement part.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #879 of 7,191
Even if this is completely accurate, I am happy with my Penrose order and would not consider changing it. Besides, I am reasonably sure that at some point you will be able to buy the X dongle if you really want/need it. Either as an accessory or as a replacement part.

Yeah, to each their own.

I can understand why Audeze, and any other business, would offer a range of SKUs that appeal to a particular customer, and I don't think that's wrong either.

However, where I do 'draw the line' so to speak is being misinformed, and as such not being able to make the right purchase decision. I'm also not accusing Audeze of this, as it stands we have no concrete reports/evidence to support it.

If the Penrose X was in fact fully compatible with all platforms, it would make it objectively the best choice from that standpoint, with the only subjective factor being the colour of the strip on the earcup/Audeze 'A' logo.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #880 of 7,191
This. Being able to buy the other dongle would be the easiest way to rectify the situation.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #881 of 7,191
First time poster - brought here because of my interest in the Penrose! :)

I'm not inclined specifically to believe the customer support rep that the other poster spoke to, but I thought I'd bring the perspective with the Astro A50 Gen2 that I had for years. They were the ones that were white with green trim:

https://help.astrogaming.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030763732-A50-White

It was, to my recall, never officially advertised as working on the PlayStation platform. After all, it was an Xbox branding and paint scheme, and included the cable that connected the headset to your Xbox controllers.

However... it was a very open secret and posted about online that if you bought that version, you'd be okay in using them with the PlayStation. I don't recall Astro ever officially releasing anything official about this, but I used those headphones from late in the Xbox 360/PS3 generation to just about yesterday, when I replaced my Xbox One/PS4 with a new XSX. It was, in fact, even easier to use them on PlayStation than on the Xbox, because you didn't need the chat cable! The PlayStation ones didn't work on Xbox, because they didn't come with that cable, necessary for Microsoft's proprietary chat protocols.

Either way, this doesn't necessarily guarantee that the customer support rep was correct, and that the Penrose X will work on both. I sure hope that it does, because I've got a Penrose X on preorder and intend to use it on my XSX and PS5 if I can, but things like this are not completely unheard of.

Very much excited to upgrade to an Audeze product, well beyond the sound quality that my (ultimately finicky and disappointing) A50s provided.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #882 of 7,191
This. Being able to buy the other dongle would be the easiest way to rectify the situation.

No offence, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

The 'easiest' way to rectify the situation is, surely, to buy the ONE product at the premium price of entry, and gain full compatibility, across all platforms??

Or the alternative, hope that Audeze releases a separate dongle, which has been cast in doubt as this thread has progressed, and not to mention the fact that we'll be paying out another premium. That only makes sense if you're absolutely dead set on the PS variety overall look.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #883 of 7,191
No offence, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

The 'easiest' way to rectify the situation is, surely, to buy the ONE product at the premium price of entry, and gain full compatibility, across all platforms??

Or the alternative, hope that Audeze releases a separate dongle, which has been cast in doubt as this thread has progressed, and not to mention the fact that we'll be paying out another premium. That only makes sense if you're absolutely dead set on the PS variety overall look.

There is an issue of convenience.

With multiple dongles, you can just leave them plugged into their respective systems at all times.
With a single universal dongle, you have to swap it every time you want to play a different system.

With my wireless mouse, for instance, I bought an extra dongle to allow me to use it with both my desktop and laptop. It does require that the device provide an easy way to switch pairings, though.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #884 of 7,191
There is an issue of convenience.

With multiple dongles, you can just leave them plugged into their respective systems at all times.
With a single universal dongle, you have to swap it every time you want to play a different system.

With my wireless mouse, for instance, I bought an extra dongle to allow me to use it with both my desktop and laptop. It does require that the device provide an easy way to switch pairings, though.

While that is true, the 'convenience factor' is really determined by how many devices a user will have on the go, but that would make an optional additional dongle make sense.

That said, the additional dongle would serve a very specific purpose, and you'd be buying it for your own convenience in the use case you've presented, whereas if I purchased a Penrose X, and it was perfectly compatible with all devices, that would be both WAY more convenient for me (1 device for all cases) and cost effective.

Also, IIRC, a comment made earlier in this thread by KMann or Audeze hinted at the fact they wouldn't want to make a point of continuously re-pairing the headset with a separate dongle as the process wasn't the easiest/quickest thing to do (paraphrasing). Not sure if it still exists because official talk of extra dongles seemed to change tack at some point.

At this point, I'm just not willing to take the 'risk' that Penrose X actually has complete functionality. No doubt if it turns out to be the case, Audeze will deny all knowledge of it and say it was 'never tested' or some corporate tripe to help defend the decision. Hope I'm wrong!

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #885 of 7,191
While it would be annoying to pair to a new dongle each time I moved from my media PC, my gaming PC, or my PS5. It would be much more annoying to need to unplug my dongle then move it to a new system whenever I moved rooms.
Really hoping they sell additional dongles....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back