Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #842 of 7,191
***Important Information****

I have permission to confirm with 100% certainty that the Penrose X will work with a PS5. For anyone that is buying both consoles, you should buy the Penrose X. I am finally relieved to know I bought the right one.

The other stated difference is that Penrose has Mac support. Do you know if Penrose X will also support Mac? Starting to sound like there's no reason to go Penrose.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #845 of 7,191
***Important Information****

I have permission to confirm with 100% certainty that the Penrose X will work with a PS5. For anyone that is buying both consoles, you should buy the Penrose X. I am finally relieved to know I bought the right one.

That sounds very strange. Buy X to play on both consoles but buy the blue for the same price but get limited to one console? That cant be right. Even Audeze is marketing the difference between these are support for one of the consoles.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #846 of 7,191
That sounds very strange. Buy X to play on both consoles but buy the blue for the same price but get limited to one console? That cant be right. Even Audeze is marketing the difference between these are support for one of the consoles.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Even if they aren't allowed to say the X supports PS5/Mac for licensing reasons (never ever heard of that when it comes to Windows vs Mac support), it would be crazy of Audeze to charge the same price for the non-X when it only has downsides.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #847 of 7,191

Marketing agreements. It's the same reason they don't say that the Arctis 7x works with both consoles in any official advertisement from Steelseries. The only thing that's different between the Penrose and Penrose X dongles is the X has the extra chip that Microsoft requires for any third party peripherals.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #848 of 7,191
Marketing agreements. It's the same reason they don't say that the Arctis 7x works with both consoles in any official advertisement from Steelseries. The only thing that's different between the Penrose and Penrose X dongles is the X has the extra chip that Microsoft requires for any third party peripherals.

Even the Arctis 7P has a (very minor) addition compared to the 7X when it comes to Playstation support in that it has a sidetone dial while the 7X has a chatmix dial that only works for the Xbox.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #849 of 7,191
Zero plans on picking up the Series X so I'll just stick with my Penrose order. Only gaming between my PC and PS5 so no reason to go green. Great that the X works for both though. I remember reading around that this was the same case with Steel Series and the 7X.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #850 of 7,191
Even the Arctis 7P has a (very minor) addition compared to the 7X when it comes to Playstation support in that it has a sidetone dial while the 7X has a chatmix dial that only works for the Xbox.

That's probably built into the headset itself, not the dongle. They have confirmed that the headphones are both identical, it's the dongle that has the Xbox chip.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #852 of 7,191
Sure, but it is still a differentiation between the two headsets as to why you might buy the 7P despite the 7X supporting the Playstation. From what you've said there should be literally no reason for anyone to buy the Penrose rather than the Penrose X?

Some people are never going to buy the Series X, so they put out a color that matches the PS5. Unfortunately the information I gave you is all I know. Let's just say that I was on the fence about even buying the headset until I found out this information. I switched my pre-order immediately and got the X. If they came right out and said that the X supports the PS5, then nobody will buy the PlayStation branded version of the headset. It's quite obvious that they want to tell everybody, but are not allowed. I've been monitoring a bunch of forums for news like this for the past month, but I'm now sure about my order.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #853 of 7,191
Some people are never going to buy the Series X, so they put out a color that matches the PS5. Unfortunately the information I gave you is all I know. Let's just say that I was on the fence about even buying the headset until I found out this information. I switched my pre-order immediately and got the X. If they came right out and said that the X supports the PS5, then nobody will buy the PlayStation branded version of the headset. It's quite obvious that they want to tell everybody, but are not allowed.

I mean I can accept all of the above, even if i think it is going to upset people. It is still just the Mac support thing that has me thrown though, since i really can't see a reason they wouldn't be allowed to list that on the X.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #854 of 7,191
I mean I can accept all of the above, even if i think it is going to upset people. It is still just the Mac support thing that has me thrown though, since i really can't see a reason they wouldn't be allowed to list that on the X.

Maybe to make the PS5 version sound more enticing? It's not like there's anywhere that states that it doesn't work with a Mac. Unfortunately this is the way the corporate world is. I'm sure they will eventually add support with a separate dongle if you get the normal Penrose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back